Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 11:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
That's not true. Have you heard of the NYC School Zone Speed cameras? I have and I've gotten nailed on the West Side Hwy going through one.

Now it's only going to get worse and the city is really trying to garner more revenue which they are going to with the new rule that is going into effect today!

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...-speed-cameras
Fair point. Thinking back on it now, I got nailed by one is Astoria a few years back. But it's fair to say that for the vast majority, traffic is allowed to move as fast as traffic can, especially so in Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 03:28 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Fair point. Thinking back on it now, I got nailed by one is Astoria a few years back. But it's fair to say that for the vast majority, traffic is allowed to move as fast as traffic can, especially so in Midtown.
Which is usually never above 25mph anyway, especially if you're talking about city streets.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:40 PM

49 posts, read 90,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Regardless of where in the U.S. -- I do wish more drivers were courteous to realize that right turn on red where legal and permitted is still an optional turn and is by no means legally mandatory. Can't stand it when some entitled driver behind me gets agitated because I don't feel comfortable with pulling out into an intersection because I can't see what's coming or feel unsafe about making an unprotected turn.
I agree.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I think many years ago this was the case in South Dakota. I thought I remembered my parents saying it. I don't know if that's still the case.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:35 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Just thought of one other odd traffic law I wonder if anywhere else has: In California you can turn left on red onto a one way street. Until I read this thread I’d almost forgot how freaked I was when a Lyft driver did this when I was out there. He explained that it was legal in Cali. I’ve never heard about it anywhere else though

Old 07-04-2022, 04:36 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Just thought of one other odd traffic law I wonder if anywhere else has: In California you can turn left on red onto a one way street. Until I read this thread I’d almost forgot how freaked I was when a Lyft driver did this when I was out there. He explained that it was legal in Cali. I’ve never heard about it anywhere else though
In most states you can turn left on red from a one way street onto another one way street. Which is basically the same thing as turning right on red, but in reverse. Here in Oregon you can turn left on red from a two way street onto a one way street, which is totally insane. I hate it.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
You have to have no right on red in NYC. Otherwise you'd have mass pedestrian fatalities due to the amount of sheer street traffic. It's also why the speed limit is 25 mph in NYC unless otherwise posted.
I don't buy it. So why isn't there mass pedestrian fatalities in San Francisco or Chicago? You talk like NYC is the only city with heavy traffic. Outside of Manhattan, the amount of street traffic is really not out of the ordinary compared to other cities. So why does the No Right on Red apply to outlying sections of The Bronx or Brooklyn?

Clearly it's just a revenue stream for NYC. They know visitors won't know they can't make a turn on red. So they can ticket the tourists who probably won't come back to fight the ticket.

Old 07-04-2022, 02:21 PM

49 posts, read 90,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
In most states you can turn left on red from a one way street onto another one way street. Which is basically the same thing as turning right on red, but in reverse. Here in Oregon you can turn left on red from a two way street onto a one way street, which is totally insane. I hate it.
Turning left on red from a 2 way street onto a 1 way street is not dangerous. I live in the Tulsa area. In Downtown Tulsa they do turn left on red onto a 2 way street from a one way street. The traffic still goes one direction on the one way street.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:42 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't buy it. So why isn't there mass pedestrian fatalities in San Francisco or Chicago? You talk like NYC is the only city with heavy traffic. Outside of Manhattan, the amount of street traffic is really not out of the ordinary compared to other cities. So why does the No Right on Red apply to outlying sections of The Bronx or Brooklyn?

Clearly it's just a revenue stream for NYC. They know visitors won't know they can't make a turn on red. So they can ticket the tourists who probably won't come back to fight the ticket.
The Bronx and Brooklyn are the most densely populated areas of land in the US outside of Manhattan. A lot denser than Chicago or SF. No right turn on red has nothing to do with street traffic, but with pedestrian traffic. It is much easier just to make the whole city have uniform traffic rules than have a patchwork of traffic rules neighborhood by neighborhood as you seem to be implying.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The Bronx and Brooklyn are the most densely populated areas of land in the US outside of Manhattan. A lot denser than Chicago or SF. No right turn on red has nothing to do with street traffic, but with pedestrian traffic. It is much easier just to make the whole city have uniform traffic rules than have a patchwork of traffic rules neighborhood by neighborhood as you seem to be implying.
I think you are pulling those stats out of your ass. According to Wikipedia the most densely populated areas in the US outside of Manhattan are in New Jersey. So why is it safe to make a right turn on red in New Jersey, but not in New York?

I did choose bad examples with The Bronx and Brooklyn. I should have used Queens as an example. Queens has a population density lower then Los Angeles. The eastern part of Queens is typical American suburbia. Single family homes with yards, lightly used street parking, virtually no pedestrian traffic. If it's not safe to make a right turn on red in Queens, then it's not safe to make a right turn on red in any American city.

There is no logical reason for No Right Turns on Red everywhere in NYC. It's just policing for profit. NYC makes $2 billion a year from traffic tickets. No Right Turns on Red is undoubtedly a large part of that.

Quote:
Incorporated places with a density of over 10,000 people per square mile

1 Guttenber New Jersey 57,116.0
2 Union City New Jersey 51,810.1
3 West New York New Jersey 49,362.4
4 Hoboken New Jersey 39,066.4
5 Kaser New York 27,788.2
6 New York City New York 27,016.3
Quote:
1 Manhattan New York City New York 69,467.5
5 Brooklyn New York City New York 35,369.1
6 The Bronx New York City New York 32,903.6
16 Queens New York City New York 20,553.6
— Staten Island New York City New York 8,030.3
List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.