Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 09:18 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times

Advertisements

A city isn't a 'rat race'. You either participate in the 'rat race' at your own choosing or you don't. There's pros and cons to both options. There's plenty of people of both types in every city. Take a city like D.C. - on the one hand there's a legion of ambitious careerists eager to 'make it', on the other hand there's plenty of folks who've been in the same low-level government job for decades and are just 'doing their time' until retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 09:52 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Tampa.New Orleans. San Antonio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
San Antonio could fit this bill I think. Very chill pace here. Maybe San Diego + Tampa too?
Nope, Tampa is a rat race like the rest.

Maybe Honolulu?

Old 07-02-2022, 10:14 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Houston is pretty laid back, seems relaxed. Strangers are friendly and open..
Everyone in Victoria, Corpus Christi and other small towns more than an hour away would beg to differ.
The traffic and the huge crowds in public areas also makes it rat race like.
People in general do seem to be in less of a hurry though.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:38 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Everyone in Victoria, Corpus Christi and other small towns more than an hour away would beg to differ.
Not to mention how aggressive and in a rush the drivers are. I wonder how many people making these claims have actually went.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:53 AM

853 posts, read 337,107 times
St Paul, MN is one. It is basically a giant, laid back, small town that is next to a big city. I think a lot of the rat race comes from the cost of living vs the pay scale. If a city is expensive you have to work like a dog to live and that becomes your only focus. St Paul is relatively cheap and has a high pay scale. It is cheaper than Minneapolis and Minneapolis isn't the most expensive city. St Paul also has relatively low crime for a big city.

Old 07-02-2022, 01:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
That’s sort of a slippery slope though. I remember being in college and some students from rural areas making similar comments about the “the big city” where my college was - the bustling metropolis of Lafayette/West Lafayette, Indiana. I always scoffed at that and probably smugly laughed to myself (“have they never even been to Chicago?”). But looking back, it WAS a big city to them, and I assume required some sort of adjustment.

And I’m sure you could find people in Alice, TX or Bishop, TX that think the same about Corpus Christi. And so on and so forth.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:01 PM

783 posts, read 695,411 times
The answer is definitely Chicago. It's still relatively affordable for it's size and quality. If you can't take that then you will have to get a second tier city.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:22 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
Quote:
I lived in one of those outlying cities, not in Houton. I'd sure rather have to go to Houston, than Dallas ir even Austin.

Old 07-03-2022, 12:24 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
That’s sort of a slippery slope though. I remember being in college and some students from rural areas making similar comments about the “the big city” where my college was - the bustling metropolis of Lafayette/West Lafayette, Indiana. I always scoffed at that and probably smugly laughed to myself (“have they never even been to Chicago?”). But looking back, it WAS a big city to them, and I assume required some sort of adjustment.

And I’m sure you could find people in Alice, TX or Bishop, TX that think the same about Corpus Christi. And so on and so forth.
I agree. This is all relative.
Of the ten largest cities in the country I would say San Antonio and San Diego felt a bit more relaxed than the other ones.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:34 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
I live near El Paso, and compared to other MSAs I have lived in (St. Louis, NYC and Philadelphia) it's rather chill. I think Albuquerque is as well, but to a somewhat lesser extent than El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.