Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 05:16 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

In my own Vermont neighborhood
- A house across the street sold with the buyers moving in from Michigan.
- A house next door also recently sold, neighbors are from Virginia. The neighbors that occupied the house prior moved to Fort Myers, FL.

-One of my best friends just left Los Angeles after 15 years to take a job offer in Dallas. I'm selfishly disappointed as I loved visiting him in SoCal, but happy that he's happy in his new career.

-A classmate moved her family from Dublin, CA (Bay area) to Raleigh, NC
-Another classmate moved his family from Crescent City, CA to Waterville, Maine
-And another classmate moved from NYC to Monterrey, CA

-A colleague moved from Albuquerque to the suburbs north of Charlotte
-Another colleague - Albuquerque to Colorado Springs

-My mother did an in state move and left Wilmington, NC. She said it was growing too big and too crowded and she is now enjoying small town life in New Bern, NC.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-13-2022 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 07:12 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I’m in a fairly affluent Massachusetts coastal village outside of rational commuting distance to the Boston job market. What we have is people telecommuting and living full time in their summer houses. There haven’t been many real estate transactions since COVID-19. There aren’t many people leaving.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:54 AM

2,408 posts, read 1,525,991 times
I live in a tourist/vacation town. I would guess that most people here are transplants. 1 of the things that keeps people from moving here is the housing prices. Anything close to the water is selling for big money.

Every parking lot in town you will see license plates from all over. The most are from Alabama, followed by Georgia. Quite a few from Alaska even. Because who doesn't want to go to a clean beach where they also have go cart tracks, mini golf courses, arcades, jet ski rentals, helicopter rides, spin and puke amusement park rides, a zoo, wonderworks, a dolphin aquarium, overprices adult slurpees to name a few of the things that await tourists here.

What is curious to note is the large number of workers who come from Jamaica or the Caribbean. There is a large enough population that there are a few markets that cater to their food choices. I guess a few people came here first and told everyone else that service jobs were plentiful. Many lack vehicles because you see them at the bus stops when their shifts change. They also walk a lot.

PCB. Come on vacation, leave on probation.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:36 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Miami: NY, NJ, CA, some from DC….expecting a few more Colombians after their last election.

I hear a bunch of NY’ers are moving back but I don’t see it based on foot traffic (and this is supposed to be our slow season)—at least not in the part of Miami I live in.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:02 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Here in Illinois, a lot of folks with mobility are moving to Nashville, Phoenix, Charleston, Austin, and a variety of cities in Florida (I've seen Tampa a number of times). Many others are staying more local and moving to Wisco/Michigan/Indiana. The latter seems to be those upset with politics, taxes, crime.

In Massachusetts, I haven't really seen the same type of migration for those with families. But for singles, NYC, Austin, LA, San Diego, and Nashville seem to be the big five.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:11 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
I'm responsible for keeping up with people moving in and out of my church in Cookeville TN. In the last three years we have doubled in size with 43 families moving in from out of state and only two who've moved out. Most are from the West, particularly California and Utah. This does not include those moving here for college. I'd say that probably 2/3 of those who moved in are working from home. And no, there are no gimmicky incentives to lure WFH people here that some communities are resorting to.

families moved in from:

Arizona (3)
California (9)
Colorado (2)
Delaware
Florida
Georgia (2)
Idaho
Kansas
Kentucky
Maryland (2)
Mississippi
Nevada (3)
New Mexico
New York
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Texas
Washington
Utah (8)
Wisconsin
Wyoming

families moved out to:

Texas
Virginia

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-14-2022 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-14-2022, 11:19 AM

629 posts, read 402,311 times
Agreed, even with this hot summer in Palm Beach County, I'm still running into New Yorkers...I'm a bit surprised honestly. Met a young millennial New Yorker who's currently in the Dadeland mall area actually tell me he wants to move to Palm Beach County but his g/f is in graduate school at UM. Miami was a bit too polarizing for him he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami: NY, NJ, CA, some from DC….expecting a few more Colombians after their last election.

I hear a bunch of NY’ers are moving back but I don’t see it based on foot traffic (and this is supposed to be our slow season)—at least not in the part of Miami I live in.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:03 PM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
In Memphis area:
Historically getting folks coming in from upper Midwest and IL, MS, Arkansas; lately getting folks from Nashville, CA, Atlanta.

Folks historically went to Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, NYC, and LA. Nowadays, they are going to Texas mostly.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:42 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Now, how do those anecdotal flows line up with what the Census reports?
https://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/map.html

Old 07-19-2022, 08:38 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Now, how do those anecdotal flows line up with what the Census reports?
https://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/map.html
Cool tool!

Based on the most recent data, most people moving to Middlesex County, MA are coming from Suffolk County and Hampden County in Mass. The first isn't too surprising cuz it's right next door. The latter is a little surprising. Maybe Amherst-area grads?

The next biggest sources are all out of state in the following order: Fairfield (CT), Cook (IL), Albany (NY), Westchester (NY), Montgomery (PA), and Montgomery (MD). The city of Baltimore is 9th on the list, which is a little surprising to me!

The biggest destinations are in the following order: Hillsborough (NH), Essex (MA), Worcester (MA), Rockingham (NH), Hampshire (MA).

These are the biggest destinations outside of New England: King (WA), New York (NY), Monroe (NY), Palm Beach (FL), Multnomah (OR), and Denver (CO). The third one is a bit surprising!

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-19-2022 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.