Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 01:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,081,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought about an area like Nyack NY, which isn't too far from beaches on the Long Island Sound and you are on the other side of the Hudson River, which mean access to mountains as well. This may also depend on the budget you are working with.

Middletown DE is another place to consider.
Getting across NYC from that side of Hudson River can take at least an hour, and any decent North Shore beach is further out east towards the fork. At least 2 hrs drive.

And I not sure Nyack can be considered small town. Its completely surrounded by other suburbs. It feels like a sprawling city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 01:49 PM

33,034 posts, read 36,620,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Try Philly. It is about an hour to AC on the expressway. And you be in same state as family in PBurg. You get all four seasons.

edit, oh you wrote smallish town. Well do you mean smallish town away from City?

Then try like Easton PA. Its right on the Delaware Water Gap so equal distance from Jersey Beaches as Philly.
Easton is an hour north of Philly.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:56 PM

12,241 posts, read 8,172,621 times
Rhode Island and Delaware immediately came to mind.

You can even check the Philadelphia suburbs of NJ which are like 20-40 minutes to the Shore.

I would not do Nyack. It takes me an hour to get from Bergen County to Nyack a lot of the times when I drive. Especially if you are heading to the beach, it can be up to 3 hours. A good alternative would be around Philadelphia.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:02 PM

9,919 posts, read 7,762,273 times
Moved from CT to NC. If you can afford house $1000 more than in Raleigh at this time CT is the best spot to move to. Currently in Greensboro NC we love it but considering moving back up to CT once school is finished and done. You can't beat all the family activities NC offers. CT coast line is amazing. Small town vibes, great town greens, fairs, festivals, the Sound, and quaint/quirky vibes. I mean the entirety of CT has amazing school systems.

Maine is amazing. We are talking Winter, mud season, and black flies. The beauty of Maine knows no bounds. Pine trees, fishing villages, camping, and so forth.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:15 PM

94,220 posts, read 125,117,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Getting across NYC from that side of Hudson River can take at least an hour, and any decent North Shore beach is further out east towards the fork. At least 2 hrs drive.

And I not sure Nyack can be considered small town. Its completely surrounded by other suburbs. It feels like a sprawling city.
I was thinking of beaches around Rye and Nyack is a village of about 6500. That is what I was referring to.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:57 PM

164 posts, read 117,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Moved from CT to NC. If you can afford house $1000 more than in Raleigh at this time CT is the best spot to move to. Currently in Greensboro NC we love it but considering moving back up to CT once school is finished and done. You can't beat all the family activities NC offers. CT coast line is amazing. Small town vibes, great town greens, fairs, festivals, the Sound, and quaint/quirky vibes. I mean the entirety of CT has amazing school systems.

Maine is amazing. We are talking Winter, mud season, and black flies. The beauty of Maine knows no bounds. Pine trees, fishing villages, camping, and so forth.
If north carolina is so great then why move back may I ask?

Old 07-25-2022, 07:45 PM

94,220 posts, read 125,117,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Rhode Island and Delaware immediately came to mind.

You can even check the Philadelphia suburbs of NJ which are like 20-40 minutes to the Shore.

I would not do Nyack. It takes me an hour to get from Bergen County to Nyack a lot of the times when I drive. Especially if you are heading to the beach, it can be up to 3 hours. A good alternative would be around Philadelphia.
That last part is interesting given that Bergen County is the county in NJ next to Rockland County NY, which is where Nyack is located. In fact, it isn’t uncommon for kids from Nyack to go to Catholic high schools in Bergen County like St. Joseph Regional of Montvale or Bergen Catholic, as they aren’t too far away(about 20-25 minutes).

There are beaches in NJ within an hour/hour and a half on the shore.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:59 PM

14,200 posts, read 22,839,778 times
The Jersey Shore and the Delmarva Peninsula are the closest to western Pennsylvania, so I'd begin there. The Jersey Shore has more amenities, but it's more crowded and expensive. The Delmarva Peninsula is quieter and a better value, but doesn't have as many amenities. Be prepared to drive through Philadelphia or Washington D.C. on the way back to western Pennsylvania regardless.

Connecticut is a dark horse. It's farther away than the Jersey Shore and the Delmarva Peninsula, but I-84 functions well as an express route between New England and Pennsylvania, bypassing New York City. However, Connecticut is about as expensive as New Jersey.

The Virginia Tidewater is an option too, but it's a longer drive back to western Pennsylvania, with no direct route between the two. The only options are 1) driving up to Washington D.C. and over, 2) over into West Virginia and up, or 3) zigzagging up the Shenandoah Valley.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 11,314 times
What about Erie?

Old 07-25-2022, 09:11 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,119,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That last part is interesting given that Bergen County is the county in NJ next to Rockland County NY, which is where Nyack is located. In fact, it isn’t uncommon for kids from Nyack to go to Catholic high schools in Bergen County like St. Joseph Regional of Montvale or Bergen Catholic, as they aren’t too far away(about 20-25 minutes).

There are beaches in NJ within an hour/hour and a half on the shore.
The last part of the above referenced post isn't true for the part of Bergen County where St. Joe's Regional and BC are. St. Joe's is in Montvale right on the Rockland/Bergen border. They are right over the state line from each other 5-10 minutes down the road. Nyack isn't even 20 minutes from Montvale. Same goes for Suffern in Rockland county which is right next to Mahwah and all those Rockland towns routinely send kids to the big 3 Bergen county Catholic schools in St. Joe's, Bergen Catholic and Don Bosco in Ramsey. The Garden State Parkway starts right there in Montvale and goes down to all the Shore points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.