Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 02:30 PM

112 posts, read 120,109 times

Advertisements

I am a 43 y/o, soon to be divorced, bisexual, atheist. I love art, music, poetry, books, sports, travel. I like to work, and have worked up to director level at multiple companies.

I love life, and I have tons of friends in many places, but I have no idea where I want to "settle down." Or if I even should "settle down" at all.

I love southern california (San Diego currently) but the cost of living here is so high. The weather is great -- I love that there isn't humidity and bugs.

I have lived in the following states: Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Illinois, California. I've visited many more.

I want a cheaper place, not too much humidity, where people are friendly and smile back (it's my southern politeness, I want reciprocity on this. )

I don't love damp, rainy weather because I have circulatory issues.

I want to be somewhere lesbians and atheists fit in and no one bats an eye.

Am I looking in the wrong country? I love the US and want to continue paying taxes here, but I can't find a suitable state for me. Anything I'm overlooking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 02:35 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Sounds like a Midwestern college town may be a good fit.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:41 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Denver fits all your criteria except maybe price (not as cheap as those other states, but much cheaper than SD).

How are you with heat? Tucson is very affordable, and of course not humid. It's a college town, so doesn't have as much of that macho Mexican social conservatism you get in a lot of other Southwest cities. Has kind of liberal, hippie-ish undertones you might like (there's a small light rail system, despite it being a metro area of only a million). One thing that might count against it is the white-collar corporate scene isn't huge, so you'd want to look for companies in your industry if you can't work remote.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:57 PM

505 posts, read 584,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycledlettuce View Post
I am a 43 y/o, soon to be divorced, bisexual, atheist. I love art, music, poetry, books, sports, travel. I like to work, and have worked up to director level at multiple companies.

I love life, and I have tons of friends in many places, but I have no idea where I want to "settle down." Or if I even should "settle down" at all.

I love southern california (San Diego currently) but the cost of living here is so high. The weather is great -- I love that there isn't humidity and bugs.

I have lived in the following states: Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Illinois, California. I've visited many more.

I want a cheaper place, not too much humidity, where people are friendly and smile back (it's my southern politeness, I want reciprocity on this. )

I don't love damp, rainy weather because I have circulatory issues.

I want to be somewhere lesbians and atheists fit in and no one bats an eye.

Am I looking in the wrong country? I love the US and want to continue paying taxes here, but I can't find a suitable state for me. Anything I'm overlooking?
Maybe don't settle down, get a trailer, and vagabond? I can relate to your post...in the same boat. Lived in Colorado, Texas, Illinois, Florida and Nevada. I'm ready to scoot to a new spot too. No place ever really feels like home.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:14 PM

I have definitely considered this!!

Best of luck to you finding your spot as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
Maybe don't settle down, get a trailer, and vagabond? I can relate to your post...in the same boat. Lived in Colorado, Texas, Illinois, Florida and Nevada. I'm ready to scoot to a new spot too. No place ever really feels like home.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:15 PM

I'm in Phoenix right now, exploring. This type of heat doesn't bother me. I do work remotely, and I've never been to Tuscon, so that will be my next trip to investigate.

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Denver fits all your criteria except maybe price (not as cheap as those other states, but much cheaper than SD).

How are you with heat? Tucson is very affordable, and of course not humid. It's a college town, so doesn't have as much of that macho Mexican social conservatism you get in a lot of other Southwest cities. Has kind of liberal, hippie-ish undertones you might like (there's a small light rail system, despite it being a metro area of only a million). One thing that might count against it is the white-collar corporate scene isn't huge, so you'd want to look for companies in your industry if you can't work remote.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:30 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
How about Vermont, western Massachusetts, Connecticut outside of metro NYC (cost factor) in the northeast?

Or out west, as someone mentioned, try Tucson. I know Tucson well. I went to the University of Arizona there and was stationed there for 3 years in the Air Force, years back in the late 90s.

Back then, it was jokingly and lovingly referred to as the "cultural progressive black hole" of southern Arizona haha, and it was on the money. It is a liberal city for the most part and folks mind their own business, but are very friendly if you engage with them. The only thing I would mention about Tucson that *could* be an issue, would be there are a ton of "snow bird" retirees--some of course, from red states, with those views.

Also, I'd suggest Hawaii, but it is pricey. The big Hawaiian island is less expensive for housing, but there aren't as many amenities.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 567,320 times
Cleveland Ohio? (Ohio the state is awful but Cleveland is somewhat different from the rest of the state.)

It has a great art presence (orchestra, museums, architecture, theaters, play house….etc.) and fairly big LGBT acceptance/community (Lakewood by the Lake Erie.)

People generally are unpretentious, warm and friendly, esp if you stay in inner ring cities like Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights and University Heights. Lots of restaurants, stores and activities. Atheists welcome.

The weather can be a drag, but if you can handle overcast, cold winter (but summer can be very pleasant and lovely. Lots of lush green metro parks.) it can be done. Real estate isn’t outrageous compared to CA. Many beautiful, sturdy and well-made houses in the Heights area.

Last edited by achtung baby; 07-06-2022 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-06-2022, 08:48 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Not much humidity and "friendly" kinda clash and one or the other probably eliminate most of the country.

I dunno if Palm Springs is "friendly" but it is both cheaper than San Diego and yet relatively near it.

Reno?
NE neighborhood of Boise?
Taos?
Madison, WI?
San Marcos TX?
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware?
Charlottesville VA?

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-06-2022 at 09:13 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 01:52 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
Northampton MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.