Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 09:52 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So where should the money be spent? Remember, you're talking about a city that is struggling with insane property taxes already. The city really needs to drop the property taxes, but then you would be blowing a hole in the general fund. Municipal finance is complicated and impacted by so many variables. Honestly, the residents of Baltimore City will have to wait till the city is gentrified for a few more years which will provide the excess funding to make radical change.

Enforcing the law by getting the squeegee boys off the streets could be a near-term improvement, but we also live in a heightened awareness era of racial and social change so the optics will be bad.
How about we spend the money on clean-up crews and vacant building demolition. Baltimore cant tear down homes as fast as they become abandoned. Baltimore is furiously knocking down vacant houses — but barely keeps up as new ones go empty

Expand the hours and capacity of places like Above It All, and other city-funded rec centers.

How about Air Condition units for schools that close early due to heat concerns and push more kid into suqeegeeing? Maryland Gov. Hogan: Lack of air conditioning in some Baltimore schools is ‘unbelievable’

The city is still recovering from poor decisions from Catherine Pugh administration (giving development contracts to supremely unqualified friends of hers, lopping off half of Druid Lake when other viable quicker options existed, extorting Kaiser Permanente a major employer here in the city).

How bout we use the money to entice a developer to finish the last 2/3rds development of the Uplands on Edmondson Avenue that has sat vacant for 12 years? ( a 100% needless teardown and bungled project from Sheila Dixon's administration)

There are other wastes/unfinished projects (many of which the city provided tax relief for) like Center/West, the Hendler Creamery, and stalled or delayed projects like the Harford Street Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 10:03 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It's not a negative thing but it's not the only thing that matters or makes someone middle class. Living in a Class A "luxury" building isn't the end all be all of you as a person or what defines you or differentiates you a middle-class individual/family.

In my experience in DC that gets lost in the sauce tremendously. Generally, it's much less the case in some other places I've been to. I understand my background as a Yankee means im generally frugal and relatively unshowy- but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

I like to get fresh and go out and look sharp but I'm not gonna sit here and rank myself against other people of similar incomes and backgrounds dependent upon what my apartment looks like and say my sh-t hits different. That's a very materialistic viewpoint which I get comes out of a desire to differentiate and distance yourself from Boston more here but I suspect you believe that matters a lot anyway.

As Bajan said I dont find these buildings in 7 or 8 very fancy... and I really don't want to live in a large apartment building at all-for matters of privacy, other people's rules, and simply not wanting to move back into a (glorified) dorm. I could've moved into an apartment building when I came to Baltimore and actually saved money, I chose a rowhome because I like the look, the square footage, the character, having a front door, a backyard, and more privacy, I like the walkability too. I don't think any of that is a result of internalized slavery.

You gave me a video of the black bourgeoise...that just reinforces my original point about boujieness. I know what cotillions are, i was cool with the Newton Chapter of JnJ my family as never invited but I was friends with some of those kids. One of whom was originally from Cheltenham..

I remember working at my job in NW DC and I responded to a black security officer with "what?" when i didnt hear her clearly - she then proceeded to scold me as if i was her child talking bout "you're educated whats all this "what?" about"

I just rolled my eyes. She met what she perceived as disrespect with what i found disrespectful, condescending, mannerism BS I simply don't appreciate. I didn't here what you said so I said what, my feeling even if it wasn't polite it wasn't personal and you just got me confused with one of these kids in this school. You're not my mama, dont get it twisted.

I ran into these types of attitudes from the hotel front desk when friends visited for homecoming, police officers, dude who worked at the Greyhound at Union Station (i dead almost fought that man, like, it was .2 second from happening on that upper platform), a woman at the ticket terminal again at Union Station. Basically I really really didn't get along with the people. It was like if you don't act or think the way they do they think you're a miscreant or uncouth AND think they should comment on it. And its rude.

I just couldn't stand being judged on my lack of a Navy Federal Credit Union card, or Divine 9 affiliation ( I dubbed the Alphas push for me to rush primarily because I couldn't afford the dues in college and didn't have a car to travel to Central Connecticut State from Hartford freshman at my college couldn't have cars, and i didn't have one anyway) so i left my lease early. I have never been as frustrated with individual attitudes as I was in DC in Baltimore, Hartford, or Boston
I wonder if this was related to you being from Boston. I'm sure you're aware people from Boston are known for their rude and abrasive tone. It's the culture there, right? How did you sound when you said "what" and how did your facial expression look?

People say the same thing about people from NYC. Rude and abrasive because it's the culture.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:05 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
What's interesting is that if you look at DC's individual PUMAs, and we restrict our search to 25-34 year old college degree holders who are making at least $100,000 and renting, there are hardly any of those Black women EOTR. Once you get to $120,000, the number drops to 0.

This is probably because women are more concerned on a daily basis about their physical safety compared to men. So if they can afford it, they will opt to pay more to live in a safer neighborhood. Anecdotally, I've also noticed that women seem to care more about new trendy restaurants, having coffee shops nearby, being able to walk to yoga, etc., so they will also pay a premium to be around those things.

Things change a bit once you throw homeowners into the mix but even then there are still way more Black women living in the Central DC PUMA than the East (222 to 82). If we make $150,000 our threshold, that number drops to 0 again. So this might be telling us that Black professionals are living EOTR not because they want to necessarily, but because they're priced out of the more happening areas of the city.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-13-2022 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-13-2022, 10:16 AM

At $150,000, Harlem still has more 25 to 34 year old Black college degree holders making at least $150,000 than any other Manhattan PUMA. Harlem remains the most popular destination for Black professionals in this age range until the $250,000 mark where it's overtaken by the LES. At that point, only about 37% choose to live Uptown.

In Brooklyn, it's Ft. Greene and it's not even close.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I wonder if this was related to you being from Boston. I'm sure you're aware people from Boston are known for their rude and abrasive tone. It's the culture there, right? How did you sound when you said "what" and how did your facial expression look?

People say the same thing about people from NYC. Rude and abrasive because it's the culture.
Maybe, i know some people dont like "what?" as a repsonse- it rubs people the wrong way especially south of NYC. But it really wasnt my intention- it was what i thought a neutraltone. But for you to call me out on that when i had no mal intent, does not sit well with me. Would you talk to a white employee like that? Or a higher up? Probably not.. me personally- i could never be so in my feeling or offended by "what?"

Other things sat in my mind too:

when I was 18 i was headed home on a local road at 3 am driving fast to get home and to sleep. Probably like 40 mph in 30mph zones, 5 minutes from home. A cop pulled me over I explained i was going home- got a warning was gone in 2 minutes. The same thing happened in Baltimore maybe 2 years ago, warning.

In DC I was finishing a 13-hour uber shift driving 79 mph on I-95 getting off on exit 13 Ritchie Highway, cop pulls me over before the exit - a black man. I told him I was speeding to get into a bathroom of exit 13 I had been out 13 hours and lost track of my speed because I was tired I was tryna just go to the bathroom (very badly) and get home to my wife. give me the ticket anyway and told me you cant be going "79 on 95 like that"- DC in a nutshell. Very law and order, not all that personable/lenient. I was speeding is illegal even if it is 79 on the interstate...but DC definitely won't let you forget or slide.

Almost got taken out on 395 South by a drunk driver. Trying to go to HowardHomecoming with friends and it was so packed (as many events are in DC) I couldn't get into the yard, only reason we were kind of late is that we had to do the obligatory DC brunch. $60 cover for Ibiza one time, because the people i was with just felt that we had to do it... Another person in DC said if i was from Boston "it's okay not to be proud of where you are from". I just do not like it..way too much pomp and circumstance, unfriendly folks, and the mecca mentality.

A lot of bad experiences I've either seen or been a part of in DC beyond the ones I've shared unfortunately

I will say this though I felt less racism and segregation in DC than I did in Boston or Baltimore, better nightlife too that's legit. It's also the most beautiful city of the three (only west of the river)

Old 07-13-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
How about we spend the money on clean-up crews and vacant building demolition. Baltimore cant tear down homes as fast as they become abandoned. Baltimore is furiously knocking down vacant houses — but barely keeps up as new ones go empty

Expand the hours and capacity of places like Above It All, and other city-funded rec centers.

How about Air Condition units for schools that close early due to heat concerns and push more kid into suqeegeeing? Maryland Gov. Hogan: Lack of air conditioning in some Baltimore schools is ‘unbelievable’

The city is still recovering from poor decisions from Catherine Pugh administration (giving development contracts to supremely unqualified friends of hers, lopping off half of Druid Lake when other viable quicker options existed, extorting Kaiser Permanente a major employer here in the city).

How bout we use the money to entice a developer to finish the last 2/3rds development of the Uplands on Edmondson Avenue that has sat vacant for 12 years? ( a 100% needless teardown and bungled project from Sheila Dixon's administration)

There are other wastes/unfinished projects (many of which the city provided tax relief for) like Center/West, the Hendler Creamery, and stalled or delayed projects like the Harford Street Bridge.
I can speak about Uplands. The city didn't want to give the developer the needed subsidy for infrastructure to make that development happen. That's why the commercial segment never moved forward. These developments take millions of dollars in subsidy to pencil out. You know what did get massive public funding? Port Covington...

Everything else you're talking about is valid, but many of those things take funding which the city doesn't have. Budgets are drawn during the fiscal year prior, saying something should have happened after the fact means somebody didn't advocate to get it funded the year prior.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I can speak about Uplands. The city didn't want to give the developer the needed subsidy for infrastructure to make that development happen. That's why the commercial segment never moved forward. These developments take millions of dollars in subsidy to pencil out. You know what did get massive public funding? Port Covington...

Everything else you're talking about is valid, but many of those things take funding which the city doesn't have. Budgets are drawn during the fiscal year prior, saying something should have happened after the fact means somebody didn't advocate to get it funded the year prior.
That's a folly of the city though. And it's been 12 years since they stopped building, get an RFP out there that will attract a developer. How hard is that? Especially when you have budget surpluses, repeatedly.

Ill never forgive Rudy Chow and Pugh for the clusterffff that is Druid Park Lake Drive, and Druid Like that one really rubs me.

Not sure if how much Baltimore engages in participatory budgeting..

Old 07-13-2022, 10:38 AM

For Black college degree holders making at least $250,000 regardless of age, DC's North PUMA is the most popular destination (Shepherd Park, Crestwood), followed by Central (Shaw, U St, Adams-Morgan, Bloomingdale, followed by the West PUMA (Georgetown, Tenleytown, Foxhall, etc.), followed by Northeast (Woodridge, Brookland), and then the East PUMA (EOTR) coming in last.

In fact, only 5% of Black college degree holders earning at least $250,000 live East of the River.

MD, why do you think that is?

Old 07-13-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What's interesting is that if you look at DC's individual PUMAs, and we restrict our search to 25-34 year old college degree holders who are making at least $100,000 and renting, there are hardly any of those Black women EOTR. Once you get to $120,000, the number drops to 0.

This is probably because women are more concerned on a daily basis about their physical safety compared to men. So if they can afford it, they will opt to pay more to live in a safer neighborhood. Anecdotally, I've also noticed that women seem to care more about new trendy restaurants, having coffee shops nearby, being able to walk to yoga, etc., so they will also pay a premium to be around those things.

Things change a bit once you throw homeowners into the mix but even then there are still way more Black women living in the Central DC PUMA than the East (222 to 82). If we make $150,000 our threshold, that number drops to 0 again. So this might be telling us that Black professionals are living EOTR not because they want to necessarily, but because they're priced out of the more happening areas of the city.

I think you make some great points about Black people living in neighborhoods without amenities. For too many Black communities in America, Black people that choose to live around people that look like them have to accept living without amenities too.

That will be changing in DC EOTR this year, but that is not the case for far too many of our Black communities in cities all over America and cities need to do something about that. I also think renters making over $100K want new Class A buildings in the DC market which EOTR didn't have till the summer of 2021 which isn't included in the census data yet. It will be interesting to see how this data changes as these new Class A rental buildings are delivered.

Bowser Reveals Second Round of Food Access Fund Grantees

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has announced the second round of grantees of the Food Access Fund, a grant initiative dealing with increasing grocers, restaurants and fast-casual eateries in neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River.

The second round has eight new grantees, with $6.6 million for the initiative.

“The Food Access Fund is changing the game for how we bring new food options to D.C. neighborhoods, and we are excited to be supporting eight local restaurants, bars, and cafes as they open or expand to Wards 7 and 8,” the mayor said recently.

John Falcicchio, deputy mayor for planning and economic development, who oversees the initiative, said the Food Access Fund is part of the Bowser administration’s innovative way to invest in small and local businesses and “address the inequitable access to quality food.”

Recipients of the Second Round of Food Access Fund for Ward 7 and Ward 8 are:
  • Miss Toya’s Cajun Southern Kitchen will open a location in Ward 7’s Penn Branch neighborhood.
  • Tropical Smoothie Café will be set up in Skyland Town Center in Ward 7.
  • Atlas Brew Works will open a new restaurant in Ward 8’s Bridge District.
  • La Cabana Restaurante will have a full dine-in eatery and bar located in Ward 7’s Skyland Town Center offering carryout and delivery services.
  • Sandlot Anacostia, located in Ward 8’s Bridge District, will be a new 25,000-square-foot outdoor cultural arts and entertainment venue with a shipping container bar and shipping container kitchens on Howard Road SE.
  • Cheers from Ivy City in Ward 8’s Historic Anacostia neighborhood will be a small, casual restaurant that includes a culinary incubator for training and job readiness programs.
  • Smokehouse at the Strand is set to be in Ward 7’s Deanwood area in the revived Strand Theatre.

I am extremely excited for "Smokehouse at the Strand" which will be a second location of Michelin Bib Gourmand award winning "Ivy City Smokehouse" which is really good! The first round was announced last year:

DCity Smokehouse, HalfSmoke, And More Will Open In Wards 7 And 8 With New Grant Funding

The District is helping restaurants with a presence in D.C. launch other locations in wards 7 and 8, places that have traditionally been known as food deserts because of the few grocery stores and sit-down restaurants.

Mayor Muriel Bowser said today that $49 million is available for the grant program called the Food Access Fund. She made the announcement at FishScale, a Black-owned fast-casual restaurant in Shaw.

“We have an incredible amount of entrepreneurial talent and creativity in DC, especially in our restaurant and foodservice industries – it’s just not equally distributed or equally funded,” Bowser said in the release. “We already know that we have residents in every part of our city who are eager to support local businesses; the Food Access Grants are not only delivering more food options to wards 7 and 8, they’re delivering new opportunities to stay local and shop local.”

Recipients of the First Round of Food Access Fund for Ward 7 and Ward 8 are:
  • DCity Smokehouse: a Black-owned business serving smokehouse BBQ. New location will be in Anacostia, Ward 8.
  • HalfSmoke: A restaurant that serves up D.C.’s signature half-smokes and craft cocktails. Two new locations at Skyland Town Center and Minnesota Avenue in Ward 7.
  • Highland Café: a local café. New location in the Penn Branch neighborhood in Ward 7.
  • MLK Deli: serving traditional sandwiches. New location in Deanwood in Ward 7.
  • Sweet Tooth: a gourmet specialty cakes and pastries bakery. New location in Anacostia in Ward 8.
  • Fresh Food Factory: a grocery store specializing in healthy food. New location in Kenilworth in Ward 7

There is already a growing number of restaurants in two corridors that have already opened or will be soon:

Skyland Town Center (Ward 7 in DC)

Skyland Town Center

Mezeh
Roaming Rooster
Starbucks
Tropical Smoothie Cafe
Halfsmoke
Maizal
Roots 657 Food Hall
Fuji Steakhouse and Sushi
&Pizza

Historic Anacostia

Black Owned Existing Restaurants in Anacostia

Open Crumb DC
Busboys and Poets (Anacostia Location)
Turning Natural (Anacostia Location)
Mama's Pizza Kitchen
E Life Restaurant
Tony's Place (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Restaurants Coming Soon to Anacostia

Kitchen Savages
DCity Smokehouse (Anacostia Location)
Sweet Tooth Cakes and Pastries Bakery (Anacostia Location)

And there is a new food hall coming to Downtown Ward 7 with Black owned businesses.

Market 7 Food Hall to open in Ward 7 in DC with only Black Owned Businesses

The next round of Food Access Funding was just released for proposals last month. We should be hearing about more restaurants coming EOTR by the end of the year to join those already coming:

Mayor Bowser to Launch Third Round of Food Access Fund

Last edited by MDAllstar; 07-13-2022 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-13-2022, 11:09 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
For Black college degree holders making at least $250,000 regardless of age, DC's North PUMA is the most popular destination (Shepherd Park, Crestwood), followed by Central (Shaw, U St, Adams-Morgan, Bloomingdale, followed by the West PUMA (Georgetown, Tenleytown, Foxhall, etc.), followed by Northeast (Woodridge, Brookland), and then the East PUMA (EOTR) coming in last.

In fact, only 5% of Black college degree holders earning at least $250,000 live East of the River.

MD, why do you think that is?
Do you have the numbers / source of how many black people or households make over $250,000 in DC proper? And If you have Manhattan Queens and Brooklyn numbers as well. I’m interested to see how they compare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.