Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2022, 06:51 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wait....

So this man goes after the boys with a baseball bat and gets shot and you are asking why he got shot? If this were Texas and both people were White, it would be self-defense. The man had a baseball bat. Let me ask you this, what if the boy didn't have a gun and the man wasn't hit with a rock. What if the man hit the boy in the head with the bat and killed him? In what world is it ok to go after a boy with a baseball bat? I need details for what happened there because I don't understand why the man felt inclined to go after the boy with a baseball bat. What did the boy do? Wipe his car window without permission?

I do think the police should stop the squeegee boys from hanging on the streets.
So more information…read a few sources now.

The man and the squeegee boys had a heated altercation in the intersection. The man parked his car, crossed 8 lanes of traffic and swung a bat at these kids. He never successfully hit anyone. He then walked away, got followed and surrounded. He was hit in the head with a projectile rock and became disoriented, he turned around with the bat raised and was shot. He fell and was shot in the back 4 more times while on the ground. The squeegee boy apparently was walking away as he shot him multiple times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...500_story.html

“When the video starts, Reynolds had already exited his car with a metal baseball bat, walked across Light Street and confronted the workers.
He can be seen walking away from the intersection, presumably back toward his car, as three squeegee workers follow him. They get near him but another car obstructs the view. Less than a second later, they turn to run as Reynolds starts chasing with the bat raised. At roughly the same time as he swings his bat toward one of the workers, another throws what appears to be a rock at his head from behind. The video shows the rock hitting Reynolds’ head and bouncing off.

Reynolds, still holding his bat, turns around when a third squeegee worker pulls a handgun and starts firing. The first shot appears to hit him somewhere in the side of his body and he starts falling. As the shooter is beginning to walk away, he shoots at Reynolds four more times.“

-Yesterday, there was another incident with a 14 year old squeegee boy who was found to be holding an illegal firearm…

In the mean time…Mayor Brandon Scott says explicitly-in no uncertain terms- that the city will NOT be clearing the corners of squeegee boys. https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/...ers-says-mayor

“On Wednesday, Mayor Brandon Scott said Baltimore City will not be clearing corners.

“We all know the failure of clearing corners in Baltimore,” Scott said in an interview with WYPR. “And that history is why we have a consent decree.”

Scott also described squeegeeing as panhandling, which he says is protected by the Constitution.”

This is insane. How can anyone feel safe in this environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 06:57 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,081,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
But I did. I specifically mentioned that. I said that I compared the value of the dollar in 2020 and 2010. I took the median household income from 2020, transcribed it into 2010 dollars, then counted the growth between them. I also factored in cost of living based on that.
Well, I tried your method and still got slightly different results. I will use Detroit as an example.

- I agree that the $58945 used is consistent with the calculator.
- Using the inflation exchange rate between 2010 and 2020 ($1 = $1.19) makes 2010 equivalent $49534.
- Households above $58945 in 2020 was 50702 (using iteration)
- Households above $49534 in 2010 was 47906
- Difference is 2796, or 5.8%.

Still growth, but lower than your number. Perhaps your inflation calculator was in 2022 dollars versus 2020?

So sticking with my tweak to your method for my Rust Belt Five:

Middle/Upper Middle/Upper Class Black Household Growth between 2010-2020 by City Proper with Inflation and Cost of Living Factored In

Detroit: 2,796 (+5.8%)
St. Louis: 2,552 (+19.3%)
Cleveland: -1,411 (-6.9%)
Pittsburgh: 680 (+10.6%)
Buffalo: 3,122 (+35.9%)

Not coincidentally, Buffalo was the only city among the 5 to show an increase in Black resident, and total population, between 2010 and 2020.

All in all, everything is estimates, and regardless of what the numbers are, by using similar methodology it can be used in making comparisons among cities.

Last edited by RocketSci; 07-15-2022 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-15-2022, 08:39 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Can we say manipulative information?

You should probably be completely honest about the numbers you post instead of misleading people so you can trump up D.C. once again. You posted the average home price for the entire zip code of 77004. While Greater Third Ward is no longer affordable due to gentrification, it's still disingenuous to include the entire zip code which covers parts of Midtown and the Museum district.

Here's homes for sale in Greater Third Ward:
https://www.zillow.com/greater-third...oom%22%3A14%7D

Homes for sale in Ward 7:
https://www.zillow.com/washington-dc...oom%22%3A14%7D

Neither one would be considered really that affordable but you could probably still get a more affordable fixer upper SFH in Third Ward compared to what you could get for about that same price and same condition in Ward 7.

With that said though, you cherry picked one example. Third Ward is in the heart of Houston's city center. Adjacent to Downtown/Midtown/Eado/Museum district. That's not even comparable to Ward 7 which is in what SE DC? Also All Above did say Houston and not specifically Third Ward one of the more expensive areas in Houston now.

Let's compare Ward 7 to Acres Home. Acres Home is still a predominately Black neighborhood seeing a rise of new homes popping up. There's also a slight uptick with middle class Black families moving in those areas. I have a couple of friends who recently bought homes in Acres Home through a black owned construction company (J. G. Hollins Builders).

Acres Home homes for sale:
https://www.zillow.com/acres-home-houston-tx/

Much more affordable homes than any predominately Black neighborhood in D.C. Also I'd probably throw in Independence Heights too but than again if it's not 80% to a 100% African American than it doesn't count.
Bruh, Houston is not DC. East of the river neighborhoods are adjacent to downtown neighborhoods. How is Third Ward in Houston any different from Anacostia in DC? They are both right next to downtown and you can walk.

But I will play this game with you. Acres is 13 miles from downtown Houston. It is the equivalent of people living in Bowie, MD as an FYI. East of the River DC neighborhoods are adjacent to downtown DC neighborhoods (which is about 10 times the size of Houston's downtown).

Here are the results.

Acres Houston Home Purchase

Acres Zip Code 77018 = $478,000
Houston Acres (77018) Property Taxes = $9,273 annual taxes
Mortgage Calculator (20% Down, 5.1% interest rate, $1,000 Home In.)

Houston Acres (77018) Total Monthly Payment = $2,932.32

Acres Zip Code 77088 = $245,000
Houston Acres (77018) Property Taxes = $4,753 annual taxes

Houston Acres (77018) Total Monthly Payment = $1,543.60

Acres Zip Code 77091 = $319,900
Houston Acres (77018) Property Taxes = $6,206 annual taxes

Houston Acres (77018) Total Monthly Payment = $1,990.02

East of the River DC Home Purchase

Ward 7/8 Zip Code 20020 = $445,000
Ward 7/8 Zip Code 20020 Property Taxes = $2,536 annual taxes

Ward 7/8 (20020) Total Monthly Payment = $2,227.57

Ward 8 Zip Code 20032 = $425,000
Ward 8 Zip Code 20032 Property Taxes = $2,422 annual taxes

Ward 8 (20032) Total Monthly Payment = $2,131.20

Ward 7 Zip Code 20019 = $450,000 average home price
Ward 7 Zip Code 20019 Property Taxes = $2,565 annual taxes

Ward 7 (20019) Total Monthly Payment = $2,251.70

You also are forgetting one substantial detail in all this. People in Houston make pennies compared to DC salaries. Who can't afford $2,000-$3,000 in DC for a house?

On a side note, you're comparing that country looking place (Acres) to living in DC proper? It looks like Mayberry.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 07-15-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-15-2022, 08:40 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You had better find a way to get DC at #1, asap
I was well aware thats what this was going to be an issue before I started posting my calculations. Im well aware the OP is incapable of objectivity where DC is involved. That said, I still like reading his posts.

Quote:
You still sure about that?
Only a manipulator would say otherwise.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I was well aware thats what this was going to be an issue before I started posting my calculations. Im well aware the OP is incapable of objectivity where DC is involved. That said, I still like reading his posts.

Only a manipulator would say otherwise.
So you have no rebuttal to the COL house issue? You guys can make any argument you like about the census data. It is data so it can't be changed. This COL issue is just inaccurate and there is no way to change that. Black people live in Black neighborhoods, so you need to use Black prices.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:45 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
some were shipped to the us but most died in a short period of years (maybe 7/8) after their arrival in the New World due to the brutality of slavery down there’s which meant there really was no basis in which to form a culture. There are degrees to this and while it’s not a parallel to the US there are more similarities than with contienteal Africans just by virtue of of being in the new world and having lost a higher of ones original culture. The colonization part is maybe more similar to the African experience. However while Caribbean immigrants perform better than US Blacks they do worse than most African groups and much worse than non black/non Latino groups. Growing up in an area with both there was a big divide between US and Caribbean black and Africans who generally didn’t live in the inner city (except Cape Verdeans and now Somalis) and African who dominated prep schools and blacks in the wealthier suburbs.
Based off the tons of research I've run across dealing with the Intra American slave trade I don't think there's been an extensive study on the life expectancy of enslaved Africans arriving in the 12 colonies from the Caribbean's.

Many died during the routes to the United States, far less though than the "trips" directly from Africa. But there were way too many ships coming in from the Caribbean's to the United States to suggest it had an insignificant impact on the enslaved Africans that were brought here directly from Africa to America. Also there were enslaved Africans in the Spanish Americas before Jamestown 1619 which was also enslaved Africans "stolen" from a Portuguese ship from South America.

Considering the bulk of Enslaved Africans were brought to the Caribbean's and South America way more than the United States. It wouldn't be far fetched to say that United States larger Black population is a result of:

1) The transportation of Enslaved Africans from the larger Enslaved populations in the Caribbean's and South America.

2) Over exploitation of Breeding and common sexual exploitations(rape) of enslaved Women.

3) Higher life expectancy due to more "favorable" conditions on plantations.

Still though, I don't really like the idea of saying one group of enslaved people had it worst than the other group. I guess, but that concept just doesn't compute with me considering enslaved people were enslaved. Sugar plantations produced harsher conditions compared to the plantations in Southern United States resulting in higher mortality rates but I mean you still got a higher than normal mortality rate regardless of what plantation you ended up in. I just think looking at it from the perspective of who had it worst or them vs. us is the wrong way to look at that specific topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I just want to comment on a little thing. You said do most groups see the 1% as evil. I personally have run into fairly few Indian Americans who denigrate wealthy. Now you could argue that’s because the majority of Indian immigrants here are the top 1-30% of their society. But I’ve generally found a really positive view of wealth and wealthy people amongst them and I think that plays into them becoming the wealthiest group in America by median income. Aspirational desires to be wealthy and act like your wealthy might play a role on becoming wealthy.
To be honest, I really wasn't thinking about Indian Americans when I made that statement. And that's not to sound dismissive of them but a demographic consisting of 1.4% of the American population didn't really register in my immediate thought process of that statement.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
So you have no rebuttal to the COL house issue? You guys can make any argument you like about the census data. It is data so it can't be changed. This COL issue is just inaccurate and there is no way to change that. Black people live in Black neighborhoods, so you need to use Black prices.
Respectfully, the only one who has moved goal posts on this issue is you.

Youre the one that started the conversation as city propers and now youre moving it to neighborhoods.

As for the statement "black people live in black neighborhoods", so what how do you calculate "black prices" in neighborhoods that are 20%, 40%, 60%, etc. black? Do they not count?

There is very little to respond to in your real estate comparison. Youre not comparing housing that are anywhere near similar in size. Youre basically comparing condos to single family homes and treating them as the same. In the link you posted about housing in Anacostia, only one property for sale was a single family, detached house and it was $950K. In the Houston links on 77018 all the houses available were single family detached homes and they started at $375K. Youre comparing apples to oranges and trying hard to pretend they are apples. Thats kind of been the theme of this thread.

As for the remark about salaries, Houston has massive numbers of illegal immigrants and immigrants from third world countries who came here with nothing. DC doesnt have that. That is going to make a difference in salaries.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Respectfully, the only one who has moved goal posts on this issue is you.

Youre the one that started the conversation as city propers and now youre moving it to neighborhoods.

As for the statement "black people live in black neighborhoods", so what how do you calculate "black prices" in neighborhoods that are 20%, 40%, 60%, etc. black? Do they not count?

There is very little to respond to in your real estate comparison. Youre not comparing housing that are anywhere near similar in size. Youre basically comparing condos to single family homes and treating them as the same. In the link you posted about housing in Anacostia, only one property for sale was a single family, detached house and it was $950K. In the Houston links on 77018 all the houses available were single family detached homes and they started at $375K. Youre comparing apples to oranges and trying hard to pretend they are apples. Thats kind of been the theme of this thread.

As for the remark about salaries, Houston has massive numbers of illegal immigrants and immigrants from third world countries who came here with nothing. DC doesnt have that. That is going to make a difference in salaries.
What? You're kidding right?

Black City Proper Neighborhood Zip Codes
Houston: 77004, 77021, 77033, 77045, 77048, 77051, 77054
DC: 20019, 20020, 20032

Total Land Size for those Zip Codes
Houston Land Size: 53.5 square miles
DC Land Size: 16.1 square miles

Total Black and White Households in those Zip Codes

2011 Black Households
DC: 52,246 Total Black Households
Houston: 42,645 Total Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 55,534 Total Black Households
Houston: 42,506 Total Black Households

2011-2020 Black Household Difference
DC: +3,288 Total Black Households
Houston: -139 Total Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 12,382 Total White Households
DC: 1,376 Total White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 18,188 Total White Households
DC: 3,100 Total White Households

2011-2020 White Household Difference
Houston: +5,806 Total White Households
DC: +1,724 Total White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $75,000 to $99,999

2011 Black Households
DC: 4,599 Black Households
Houston: 3,142 Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 5,310 Black Households
Houston: 3,898 Black Households

Houston: +756 Black Households
DC: +711 Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 1,161 White Households
DC: 323 White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 2,068 White Households
DC: 400 White Households

Houston: +907 White Households
DC: +77 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $100,000 to $124,999

2011 Black Households
DC: 2,049 Black Households
Houston: 1,489 Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 3,308 Black Households
Houston: 2,477 Black Households

DC: +1,259 Black Households
Houston: +988 Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 734 White Household
DC: 84 White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 1,442 White Household
DC: 290 White Households

Houston: +708 White Households
DC: +206 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $125,000 to $149,999

2011 Black Households
DC: 1,059 Black Households
Houston: 676 Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 1,897 Black Households
Houston: 1,188 Black Households

DC: +838 Black Households
Houston: +512 Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 354 White Households
DC: 41 White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 688 White Households
DC: 151 White Households

Houston: +334 White Households
DC: +110 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $150,000 to $199,999

2011 Black Household
DC: 1,107 Black Households
Houston: 364 Black Households

2020 Black Household
DC: 1,694 Black Households
Houston: 686 Black Households

DC: +587 Black Households
Houston: +322 Black Households

2011 White Household
Houston: 595 White Households
DC: 74 White Households

2020 White Household
Houston: 1,007 White Households
DC: 863 White Households

DC: +789 White Households
Houston: +412 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $200,000 or more

2011 Black Households
Houston: 537 Black Households
DC: 480 Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 2,139 Black Households
Houston: 744 Black Households

DC: +1,659 Black Households
Houston: +207 Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 560 White Households
DC: 58 White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 1,184 White Households
DC: 466 White Households

Houston: +624 White Households
DC: +408 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Total Households Making Over $75K

2011 Black Household
DC: 9,294 Black Households
Houston: 6,208 Black Households

2020 Black Household
DC: 14,348 Black Households
Houston: 8,993 Black Households

DC: +5,054 Black Households
Houston: +2,785 Black Households

2011 White Household
Houston: 3,462 White Households
DC: 580 White Households

2020 White Household
Houston: 6,389 White Households
DC: 2,170 White Households

Houston: +2,927 White Households
DC: +1,590 White Households

DC 2011 Black Census Data

DC 2011 White Census Data

DC 2020 Black Census Data

DC 2020 White Census Data

Houston 2011 Black Census Data

Houston 2020 Black Census Data

Houston 2011 White Census Data

Houston 2020 White Census Data

Old 07-15-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
What? You're kidding right?

Black City Proper Neighborhood Zip Codes
Houston: 77004, 77021, 77033, 77045, 77048, 77051, 77054
DC: 20019, 20020, 20032

Total Land Size for those Zip Codes
Houston Land Size: 53.5 square miles
DC Land Size: 16.1 square miles

Total Black and White Households in those Zip Codes

2011 Black Households
DC: 52,246 Total Black Households
Houston: 42,645 Total Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 55,534 Total Black Households
Houston: 42,506 Total Black Households

DC: +3,288 Total Black Households
Houston: -139 Total Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 12,382 Total White Households
DC: 1,376 Total White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 18,188 Total White Households
DC: 3,100 Total White Households

Houston: +5,806 Total White Households
DC: +1,724 Total White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $75,000 to $99,999

2011 Black Households
DC: 4,599 Black Households
Houston: 3,142 Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 5,310 Black Households
Houston: 3,898 Black Households

Houston: +756 Black Households
DC: +711 Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 1,161 White Households
DC: 323 White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 2,068 White Households
DC: 400 White Households

Houston: +907 White Households
DC: +77 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $100,000 to $124,999

2011 Black Households
DC: 2,049 Black Households
Houston: 1,489 Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 3,308 Black Households
Houston: 2,477 Black Households

DC: +1,259 Black Households
Houston: +988 Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 734 White Household
DC: 84 White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 1,442 White Household
DC: 290 White Households

Houston: +708 White Households
DC: +206 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $125,000 to $149,999

2011 Black Households
DC: 1,059 Black Households
Houston: 676 Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 1,897 Black Households
Houston: 1,188 Black Households

DC: +838 Black Households
Houston: +512 Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 354 White Households
DC: 41 White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 688 White Households
DC: 151 White Households

Houston: +334 White Households
DC: +110 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $150,000 to $199,999

2011 Black Household
DC: 1,107 Black Households
Houston: 364 Black Households

2020 Black Household
DC: 1,694 Black Households
Houston: 686 Black Households

DC: +587 Black Households
Houston: +322 Black Households

2011 White Household
Houston: 595 White Households
DC: 74 White Households

2020 White Household
Houston: 1,007 White Households
DC: 863 White Households

DC: +789 White Households
Houston: +412 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Household Income Range = $200,000 or more

2011 Black Households
Houston: 537 Black Households
DC: 480 Black Households

2020 Black Households
DC: 2,139 Black Households
Houston: 744 Black Households

DC: +1,659 Black Households
Houston: +207 Black Households

2011 White Households
Houston: 560 White Households
DC: 58 White Households

2020 White Households
Houston: 1,184 White Households
DC: 466 White Households

Houston: +624 White Households
DC: +408 White Households

White and Black Neighborhood Total Households Making Over $75K

2011 Black Household
DC: 9,294 Black Households
Houston: 6,208 Black Households

2020 Black Household
DC: 14,348 Black Households
Houston: 8,993 Black Households

DC: +5,054 Black Households
Houston: +2,785 Black Households

2011 White Household
Houston: 3,462 White Households
DC: 580 White Households

2020 White Household
Houston: 6,389 White Households
DC: 2,170 White Households

Houston: +2,927 White Households
DC: +1,590 White Households

DC 2011 Black Census Data

DC 2011 White Census Data

DC 2020 Black Census Data

DC 2020 White Census Data

Houston 2011 Black Census Data

Houston 2020 Black Census Data

Houston 2011 White Census Data

Houston 2020 White Census Data
Nope not kidding. You said:

"You also are forgetting one substantial detail in all this. People in Houston make pennies compared to DC salaries. Who can't afford $2,000-$3,000 in DC for a house?"

My remark was in response to that.

Once again, you move the goal posts. You also left out any account for inflation or cost of living which makes those numbers worthless.

PS: If you going to compare 2020 numbers to 2010 numbers, use the 5 year estimates for both. Not the 2010 one year and the 2011 5 year to 2020 5 year.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:13 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
+1. Confused by when this whole "collection of zip codes" thing started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.