Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2022, 04:37 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I said population size doesn’t matter. If a smaller city is gaining more people, they would make the top 10. Also, raw growth has nothing to do with population of the current city. There are major cities not growing at all. Honestly, it’s already not apples to apples because we aren’t taking into account land mass. Some of these cities are the size of entire counties in land mass.

I agree that we need to be able to afford houses. I have already put on a clinic earlier in this thread showing the difference property taxes make in your mortgage. Do you know how many Black families buy cheap homes in high property tax cities paying the same mortgage as people that own homes in low property tax cities with expensive homes. Most cities have home stead deductions so that doesn’t change anything.

We should be educating people about that. Think how many people would make a different choice. Here is the example I gave earlier:

Even if the house in the DC example cost $505,000, the mortgage would only be $2,476.85 which is still less than the Houston example. I’m sure Houston has a homestead deduction and I know DC has it so that saving is a wash. The difference in this example is, the DC homeowner will have a net worth of $100,000 more than the Houston homeowner in the example paying the same amount for their mortgage. Property taxes matter a lot.
Is that housing comparison even an apples to apples comparison though? I also posted a Housing Opportunity Index sheet that shows the opportunity based upon median family income in relation to median sales price, along with consideration for property taxes. So, that also educates people.

You also have to consider that not all places get property taxes from Real property. Some get property tax from Personal property like vehicles, for an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 04:54 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is that housing comparison even an apples to apples comparison though? I also posted a Housing Opportunity Index sheet that shows the opportunity based upon median family income in relation to median sales price, along with consideration for property taxes. So, that also educates people.

You also have to consider that not all places get property taxes from Real property. Some get property tax from Personal property like vehicles, for an example.
Yes, and some jurisdictions get taxes from both. Why wouldn’t that example or any other example you want to pull be an accurate comparison? What makes it inaccurate? Am I missing a hidden fee?

Old 07-21-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, and some jurisdictions get taxes from both. Why wouldn’t that example or any other example you want to pull be an accurate comparison? What makes it inaccurate? Am I missing a hidden fee?
I’m thinking in terms of housing prices, but then I saw the median household incomes for the 3 zip codes EOTR and all of them are around $40 to $44k. So, I’m wondering if that is what is impacting the relatively low housing prices in that area of DC.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I’m thinking in terms of housing prices, but then I saw the median household incomes for the 3 zip codes EOTR and all of them are around $40 to $44k. So, I’m wondering if that is what is impacting the relatively low housing prices in that area of DC.
Can’t speak for other places, but EOTR DC has a 90% Black population including families from all income levels. The density impacts the median income. Those buying homes are obviously at the top of the income tree. I have noticed quite a few new condo buildings going up now which I have never seen EOTR. Hopefully the condo buildings will allow people making under $75,000 to purchase a home. I’ve seen condos in the $100K-$200k range.

There are programs that will pay the down payment to purchase homes. Even for people outside DC.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Can’t speak for other places, but EOTR DC has a 90% Black population including families from all income levels. The density impacts the median income. Those buying homes are obviously at the top of the income tree. I have noticed quite a few new condo buildings going up now which I have never seen EOTR. Hopefully the condo buildings will allow people making under $75,000 to purchase a home. I’ve seen condos in the $100K-$200k range.

There are programs that will pay the down payment to purchase homes. Even for people outside DC.
How does density impact the income? There are similar neighborhoods in other cities with higher incomes and I was thinking that those prices are low. Especially given that the home size is quite small at that price and those that are more affordable are quite tiny. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...,-76.962174,14

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-home?view=map

Anyway, this is getting far from the topic.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:50 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
We went from black middle class growth in city propers to property taxes as soon as a city showed black middle class growth that almost quadrupled in 20 years. So, is the topic about black middle class growth in city propers or property taxes?

Even with the property tax rate(key word) being higher, that doesn't mean that you can't afford a home and the other way to view this given the amount of wealth that black people lost during the recession in 2008 or so, it looks like even areas with higher property taxes offer a better likelihood of staying in your home than many areas with lower property tax rates due to lower home prices/mortgage payments. So, we also have to consider that a home is for a place to live and to be able to stay in as well.

On another positive side note about Middletown, at its high school, black students have the highest graduation rate: https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000040387

Previous year: https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000040387

Year before that, it was the highest again: https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000040387
A HS with black students having the highest graduation rate is very impressive. It seems that a lot of the NY suburbs/smaller cities have good outcomes for black students.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
A HS with black students having the highest graduation rate is very impressive. It seems that a lot of the NY suburbs/smaller cities have good outcomes for black students.
Yes, there are some communities and schools with good academic outcomes for black students in NY, if you know where to look, as a lot of this isn't told. What makes that information interesting is that it is pretty consistent: https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000040387

Something must be going on with the black community/population in Middletown, as it does very well in some important factors/aspects.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
How does density impact the income? There are similar neighborhoods in other cities with higher incomes and I was thinking that those prices are low. Especially given that the home size is quite small at that price and those that are more affordable are quite tiny. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...,-76.962174,14

Anyway, this is getting far from the topic.
Because the population is 90% Black with high density. There are a lot of low income households in the Black community because of the mixture of multifamily/apartments and single family homes.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Because the population is 90% Black with high density. There are a lot of low income households in the Black community because of the mixture of multifamily/apartments and single family homes.
I was asking because there are high density areas of NYC that are just as black and are generally middle class. So, I don't think density necessarily has that much to do with the income in that area, as you can find examples of high density, predominantly/overwhelmingly black and generally middle class in other cities.

This isn't to "dog" that area out, but there other examples out there with higher median incomes.

As for the thread topic, perhaps there should be categories for sprawled out and smaller land area cities.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I was asking because there are high density areas of NYC that are just as black and are generally middle class. So, I don't think density necessarily has that much to do with the income in that area, as you can find examples of high density, predominantly/overwhelmingly black and generally middle class in other cities.

This isn't to "dog" that area out, but there other examples out there with higher median incomes.

As for the thread topic, perhaps there should be categories for sprawled out and smaller land area cities.
EOTR has historically had extremely high poverty. The influx of Black wealth is a new phenomenon EOTR that began just before 2010. The Black middle-class has always lived in NW. The silver coast in Hill Crest has always existed EOTR, but that was a very small neighborhood and population compared to all of EOTR. Is that the history of those neighborhoods in NYC you’re discussing?

I agree about the high density cities compared to low density cities being separated. There probably should be two categories.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 07-22-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.