Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 04:39 PM

107 posts, read 118,926 times

Advertisements

I don't get the use of the term "city proper." Is that the same as the "metropolitan area?" Once outside the city limits, most towns, villages, and smaller cities have their own jurisdiction. It's a meaningless term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 05:18 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post
I don't get the use of the term "city proper." Is that the same as the "metropolitan area?" Once outside the city limits, most towns, villages, and smaller cities have their own jurisdiction. It's a meaningless term.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I use it because people generalize most measurements by metro area now versus city. During a normal conversation, people will think you're talking about the metro area instead of the city, so I make the clarification.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:00 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post
"City proper" means the incorporated municipality exclusively and not the larger metropolitan area.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:56 PM

107 posts, read 118,926 times
Oh, I get it now. The city proper is not the metro area and the OP wanted to make that clear. OK, you're good.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:39 PM

313 posts, read 160,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I have already pulled data for most of the cities I just listed so this is actually kind of data driven. Do you think any city not listed could bump any of these cities?

If you’re wondering why I prefer raw growth versus percentage, I can give you an example. If I live in a town with only 5 Black households, but 25 new Black households move into the town bringing the total to 30 Black households, that town experienced a 500% increase in Black households. That looks impressive on the surface and I’m sure the town will lead many lists, but there are only 30 total Black households in the entire town. I have more Black households than that within two blocks.
Lol Exactly Mathematics

Old 01-23-2023, 05:03 PM

313 posts, read 160,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I have already pulled data for most of the cities I just listed so this is actually kind of data driven. Do you think any city not listed could bump any of these cities?

If you’re wondering why I prefer raw growth versus percentage, I can give you an example. If I live in a town with only 5 Black households, but 25 new Black households move into the town bringing the total to 30 Black households, that town experienced a 500% increase in Black households. That looks impressive on the surface and I’m sure the town will lead many lists, but there are only 30 total Black households in the entire town. I have more Black households than that within two blocks.
Facts!! Mathematics The all ready traditional established Black
Metros always going too be the largest Black Middle
upper middle and upper class for one reason alot of
affluent black population and black professional and in
Working class,city, government, finance and retail establishment.alot of them live in suburbs .

Old 02-09-2023, 10:00 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...dropping/20603

Quote:
The share of Black homeowners and homebuyers in DC's wards 7 and 8 is dropping, according to a new analysis.

The Urban Institute released research today that found that Black households represented 75% of homebuyers with mortgages east of the Anacostia River in 2021, down from 92% in 2007.

"On average, 7.5 percent of homes in communities east of the Anacostia River sell each year," the Urban Institute report stated. "This means that the racial composition of homeowners overall is changing less quickly than that of new buyers. By 2017-21, 87 percent of homeowners east of the river described themselves as Black, down from 94 percent in 2005–09."

Home prices have gone up east of the Anacostia River like the rest of the city in recent years. The average home east of the river sold for $292,734 in 2019, excluding renovation costs, while the average renter in this area can only afford an estimated $185,000.

The Urban Institute report was released months after Mayor Bowser announced an ambitious new homeownership goal for the city's Black population. In October, the administration outlined a $10 million homeownership fund to be used to create 20,000 new Black homeowners by 2030.
Source: https://www.urban.org/research/publi...nacostia-river

The report is at the link and there's some interesting facts. For one, the graph on the first page shows an increase in the % of black home buyers EOTR from 2017 to 2020 but then a drop off after 2020. It remains to be seen whether this trend will reverse or continue.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...dropping/20603

Source: https://www.urban.org/research/publi...nacostia-river

The report is at the link and there's some interesting facts. For one, the graph on the first page shows an increase in the % of black home buyers EOTR from 2017 to 2020 but then a drop off after 2020. It remains to be seen whether this trend will reverse or continue.
I wonder if any other major city across the country is seeing 75% or higher of all home buyers identify as Black in an area of their city like Ward 7 and 8 in DC?

” In 2021, 75 percent of home purchase mortgages in these areas went to Black households, compared with 92 percent in 2007.”

It will be interesting to see what happens with Mayor Bowsers goal to attract 20,000 new net Black homeowners by 2030.

D.C. Sets Ambitious Goal Of 20,000 New Black Homeowners By 2030

I’m sure this program below will play a significant role in getting to that 20,000 new net Black homeowner goal by 2030.

First-time homebuyers can now get up to $200,000 for a down payment in D.C.—see if you qualify for similar programs in your state

Here is the qualifying chart below:

HOME PURCHASE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (HPAP)
Homebuyer Assistance Table

Looking at home prices EOTR in Ward 7 and 8 in DC, anybody even if you only make $50K can buy a house using the new down payment DC is giving first time homebuyers.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-11-2023 at 06:25 AM..

Old 02-11-2023, 06:58 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
^Probably an area like SE Queens, which isn’t really gentrifying, is generally middle class and about 85-90% Black. There may be more specific numbers out there, but that would appear to be an area that would fit the high Black homebuyer percentage.

Adjacent neighborhoods Flatlands and Canarsie in Brooklyn may be another area that comes to mind.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Probably an area like SE Queens, which isn’t really gentrifying, is generally middle class and about 85-90% Black. There may be more specific numbers out there, but that would appear to be an area that would fit the high Black homebuyer percentage.

Adjacent neighborhoods Flatlands and Canarsie in Brooklyn may be another area that comes to mind.
Yeah, I was thinking SE Queens too. I wish the study for DC broke Ward 7 and 8 down into two separate areas. The bulk of people that identify as a race other than Black are buying homes in Ward 8 around Anacostia. Ward 7 is probably still close to or over 90% Black homebuyers still.

I wonder how inner city Black neighborhoods in Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, and Dallas are fairing in this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.