Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 09:56 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Miami accent is similar to New York? How?
Maybe because like half of them are ex-New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 11:01 AM

1,348 posts, read 880,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'm well aware of that and I don't think the southern accent is as dominant in Nashville when compared to Memphis.

I mean if we're going by that metric than it's clearly Houston over Nashville. But I'm going to assume you wouldn't say the 4th largest city in America is the largest city/metro where the southern accent is still dominant huh?
It doesn't have to be as dominant in Nashville as Memphis , It just has to be bigger.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:28 PM

1,216 posts, read 511,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
It doesn't have to be as dominant in Nashville as Memphis , It just has to be bigger.
I worked on a couple of projects in Nashville about 5 years and nobody had a Southern accent. Granted this was strictly in the commercial real estate industry and all my contact was over the phone.

Old 03-09-2024, 06:23 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
So again Houston is number 1 then. And DFW is second and Atlanta is 3rd since we’re going off size alone.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So again Houston is number 1 then. And DFW is second and Atlanta is 3rd since we’re going off size alone.
If the Southern accent is dominant in these metrics than yeah.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Except the thread title clearly says "dominant" which is about proportionality and not raw numbers.

For instance, the Black American population is more dominant in Birmingham than it is Columbus, OH because Black folks constitute a larger share of the population in the former--about 70% of the population compared to 29% in Columbus--although the Black population in Columbus is over twice as large as Birmingham's (288K vs 140K).

In the same way, the Southern accent is more dominant in places where a larger proportion of the population has a Southern accent. It's less dominant where a smaller proportion of the population has one, even if there are more actual people that speak with a Southern accent there compared with a place with less Southern accents but it's still more prevalent.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Except the thread title clearly says "dominant" which is about proportionality and not raw numbers.

For instance, the Black American population is more dominant in Birmingham than it is Columbus, OH because Black folks constitute a larger share of the population in the former--about 70% of the population compared to 29% in Columbus--although the Black population in Columbus is over twice as large as Birmingham's (288K vs 140K).

In the same way, the Southern accent is more dominant in places where a larger proportion of the population has a Southern accent. It's less dominant where a smaller proportion of the population has one, even if there are more actual people that speak with a Southern accent there compared with a place with less Southern accents but it's still more prevalent.
The title is asking what is the LARGEST city where the Southern accent is dominant. Not which city has the most dominant Southern accent proportion wise.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:07 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
The title is asking what is the LARGEST city where the Southern accent is dominant. Not which city has the most dominant Southern accent proportion wise.
This is true, but I think the point you're making has more to do with prevalence than dominance. More than half of a city's residents have to speak with a Southern accent for it to truly be dominant and I don't think it's apparent for most people until it gets to somewhere around 60-65% of residents.

Houston may be the largest city where a Southern accent is somewhat prevalent--say like at least 1/3 of residents--which could even account for a plurality but that falls short of dominance.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:21 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
I would say Baltimore since it is the largest city in the South not inundated with people from everywhere else.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:22 AM

27 posts, read 24,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I would say Baltimore since it is the largest city in the South not inundated with people from everywhere else.
Sorry, but I come from Georgia/Tennessee...and NO ONE down there thinks Baltimore is the South. That's as yankee as NYC to us. I feel crazy seeing everyone in this thread so confidently call Bmore the south...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.