Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 12:52 PM

367 posts, read 584,645 times

Advertisements

Birmingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 01:35 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
New Orleans is Southern, but it’s such an outlier people tend to overlook it. But the South is not so monolithic culturally even if we do have shared food and experiences.
Speaking only of accents, New Orleans is a seaport, and its unique accent is influenced by that. There is also the Cajun/Creole influence.

I think you can say much the same about local accents in other older seaports like Baltimore and maybe Boston.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:57 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
New Orleans isn’t southern?? Lol.
Well, it is, but not strictly in an "Mississippi" sense. There is a french/cajun/creole influence. So it's a bit nuanced.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:00 AM

Miami and Washington DC?

JK

Perhaps Louisville, Birmingham?

Old 07-18-2022, 09:16 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Louisville is too blended with the Midwest to be in this thread. There’s a good 30% with an audible southern dialect, but only about 10% is a thick accent. Whereas more than half the folks I meet from Louisville have no accent at all. That doesn’t count transplants either.

Accents seem to be more widespread in Nashville from my experience. It’s getting so transplant heavy that’s likely diluted at this point as well.

Last edited by mjlo; 07-18-2022 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-18-2022, 10:39 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Well, it is, but not strictly in an "Mississippi" sense. There is a french/cajun/creole influence. So it's a bit nuanced.
This makes no sense. Mississippi also has some of the same colonial history, same with Mobile. And there's no Cajun influence in New Orleans at all. Is New York City not the northeast because it has Italian and Jewish influence?

Old 07-18-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This makes no sense. Mississippi also has some of the same colonial history, same with Mobile. And there's no Cajun influence in New Orleans at all. Is New York City not the northeast because it has Italian and Jewish influence?
If you are trying to imply that New Orleans has similar cultural influences as the rest of the south, then frankly that would tell me you haven't spent any time there. New Orleans is distinctly different than the rest of the traditional south, despite being located in the southern US.

No Cajun influence? Are you crazy? Cajun literally means " a member of any of the largely self-contained communities in southern Louisiana formed by descendants of French Canadians, speaking an archaic form of French......" Louisiana University just a short drive aways is called "the Ragin Cajuns"

New York is completely the northeast, but you are implying that you would say NYC is the SAME as Maine. That's ridiculous. Would you call Miami southern despite its Northeast and Hispanic influences? I certainly wouldn't.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
If you are trying to imply that New Orleans has similar cultural influences as the rest of the south, then frankly that would tell me you haven't spent any time there. New Orleans is distinctly different than the rest of the traditional south, despite being located in the southern US.

No Cajun influence? Are you crazy? Cajun literally means " a member of any of the largely self-contained communities in southern Louisiana formed by descendants of French Canadians, speaking an archaic form of French......" Louisiana University just a short drive aways is called "the Ragin Cajuns"

New York is completely the northeast, but you are implying that you would say NYC is the SAME as Maine. That's ridiculous. Would you call Miami southern despite its Northeast and Hispanic influences? I certainly wouldn't.
Son, I'm from Baton Rouge, between Cajun Country and New Orleans. New Orleans does not have Cajun history, you can barely find Cajun food there. Lafayette is the heart of Cajun culture.
Yes, it's distinctively different, I mentioned that earlier. Whenever I traveled to other southern states it felt like I was in a different region of the country. However, just because it's not the same as the quintessential south doesn't mean it's "less southern." Same as Miami.

Those Cajuns settled in the swamps west of the Atchafalaya River, not New Orleans.

I never insinuated that New York is the same as Maine, but no one questions the differences in northeast regions or midwest regions, yet they claim Miami isn't southern because of Latin American influences, like you just did. Not once have I heard that Buffalo isn't a northeastern city because it isn't like the Bos-Wash. But people constantly question the southerness of only southern cities because they don't fit in with the quintessential idea of the south to northerners.
The south is allowed to be diverse.

Old 07-18-2022, 01:28 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,468 times
I don't think Richmond VA is a good measuring stick of what the OP stated lol

Old 07-18-2022, 05:18 PM

219 posts, read 172,571 times
Quote:

Having lived in New Orleans for a couple of years, I found the city to be Catholic, vey open and poles apart compared to other cities in the the South. I lived in the suburb of Metarie. There was an area (ten squared blocks) called Fat city, that was loaded with bars, restaurants, pool halls, discotheques. One would go party at 11pm and did not come out until the following afternoon. There was a ferry ship called "The President" that would take people outside the 6 mile territorial US waters, where one would find live rock bands performing and people engaged in all kinds of endeavours that would have been illegal inside the territorial zone.
The people In New Orleans in general did not sound southern to me.
On certain religious holidays people would flock to the nearest Catholic church for midnight mass, New Orleans has a good number of Catholic churches and cathedrals. On the other hand most Southern cities tend to be Baptist or evangelical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eYqOKL58Mw
Attached Thumbnails
Largest city/metro where the southern accent is still dominant-no.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.