Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 04:50 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
When I first visited New Orleans many years ago, I was told by some locals that the biggest error often seen in movies taking place in New Orleans is the characters speaking with a southern accent. To my ears, New Orleans accents sound more like a northeast accent.

The southern half of Louisiana is Catholic. The northern half is Baptist.
Yes, the accent at times reminds me of the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 08:44 PM

377 posts, read 341,148 times
Cities with the strongest southern accents: Birmingham, Memphis, New Orleans.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:06 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
What is it then??
New Orleans accent is closer to New York than typically Southern.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:08 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Yes, the accent at times reminds me of the northeast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
New Orleans accent is closer to New York than typically Southern.
Black Nola doesn't sound Northeast though. That's more White NOLA

Old 08-22-2022, 08:11 AM

1,351 posts, read 884,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The title might as well be called "Largest city/metro where the WHITE Southern accent is still dominant" because apparently all black people talk the same no matter where they are.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:43 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Actually it's the black NOLA resident accents that remind me of Northeast accents.

Kazilla might be correct, done might think all black people sound the same. But to me New Orleans to small spatterings around Gulfport sounds remarkably like NY accents. You can hear certain inflections especially when they are really happy/ excited or really mad.

Two heritages NOLA and NY share in common are Haitian and Italian. Not sure if those have anything to do with it, but for some reason the similarities are there.

People tend to automatically homogenize their accents when speaking to visitors. Celebrities do it too. But when they get mad... has anyone heard Rihanna mad?

Old 08-22-2022, 08:48 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default Off Topic but funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkanchan View Post
Somebody mentioned in another thread that Richmond, VA is one of the few major metros in the South where the southern accent is still dominant.

Is there a larger metro where the southern accent is still widely spoken by the population? What if we are only talking about city limits?
When a Southern Belle tells you "to go to H*ll" you kinda wanta go.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:53 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Any Southern city or town that has not become a popular, booming, "New South" city that has been flooded with transplants.............

Old 08-22-2022, 12:58 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
You meant to say North of I-20 right? That's may be South Georgia thinking..
No. In the city of Atlanta, south of I-20 is where you're more likely to consistently hear Southern accents.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:01 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No. In the city of Atlanta, south of I-20 is where you're more likely to consistently hear Southern accents.
There’s truth to this. Atlanta south of I-20 has a different feel than north of I-20. Nothing bad it just seems like more native Atlantans and native southerners live south of I-20 and it has a more country feel. South Fulton County, Clayton County, Douglas County, and South Dekalb County don’t really appear to have a lot of transplants or not nearly as many transplants as places such as North Fulton County, Gwinnett County, and most of Cobb County. I’m not trying to paint the entire south side with a broad brush because there’s plenty of transplants in Fayette County and Coweta County and Henry County but these areas typically have a more “southern” feel as opposed to other areas in Atlanta. If you spend most of your time in John’s Creek or Sandy Springs for example you’re not going to hear a lot of southern accents as the areas are just too diverse and void of native southerners. Metro Atlanta still feels southern to me regardless just in a different way. Just my opinion…..really doesn’t mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.