Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2022, 02:07 PM

402 posts, read 370,126 times

Advertisements

Source - https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate...-for-families/

1. Irvine CA
2. San Jose CA
3. Ann Arbor MI
4. Overland Park KS
5. Boulder CO
6. Plano TX
7. San Diego CA
8. Madison WI
9. Columbia MD
10. Naperville IL

Let the comments begin lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 02:08 PM

402 posts, read 370,126 times
Methodology
In determining our Best Cities for Families rankings, we looked at a variety of factors in a weighted points system. Our system factored in criteria including the quality of the public school systems, childcare affordability in the state, quality of life and cities with the most families.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:55 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
I mean...sure. This top 10 doesn't have any cities terribly out of place in that sense. I find these types of city rankings tend to be problematic due to the difficulties of comparing small suburbs across varying metro areas. Statistical comparisons between suburbs in one metro area make sense, as do comparisons between overall metro areas.

Also, I recently learned that The Irvine Co (which basically built up Irvine) is actually based in Newport Beach lol.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:48 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post

1. Irvine CA
2. San Jose CA
3. Ann Arbor MI
4. Overland Park KS
5. Boulder CO
6. Plano TX
7. San Diego CA
8. Madison WI
9. Columbia MD
10. Naperville IL

Been to 7 of 10, live 15 minutes now from Plano. Columbia Naperville and Overland Park are really just bedroom communities compared to the others. Ann Arbor and Boulder, college towns. The others are major employment centers and thus, I feel are at a different level. Of those. Plano is the most affordable and San Diego the most desirable.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:30 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,775,164 times
I'd pass on this list being very useful

--Don't know how it weights housing costs in the ranking. But it seems like they don't consider it much at all. Some of these places, like San Jose, are uber-expensive for most families. Moreover, college towns, like Ann Arbor or Irvine, are often among the more expensive places in a state that probably has less costly alternatives.
--Like only three cities in the whole U.S. Northeast are good for families? Puh-leeze. Spare me. Columbia and Arlington are good choices IMO, but Trenton is not. At least historically, its government is corrupt, its public schools sub-par, and employment-wise its a one-trick pony--state government and little else. There are lots of stronger contenders for family-friendly cities in the Northeast than Trenton.
--And only two cities in the South, Plano and Naples? (You can go back and forth about how "South" Maryland is.) I could think of a half-dozen places south of the Mason-Dixon that are great places to raise a family--Charlotte, Houston, Winston-Salem, Norfolk/Newport News, just for starters.
-- The listing also seems to give little to no weight to ethnic/racial diversity. Would a Hispanic or Black or Asian family be equally happy in all of these places? I doubt it. Seems like a list (with a few exceptions) for the generic "all-American" family, i.e. the upper-middle-class white family.

This list is a hard pass.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:11 PM

27,229 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post

1. Irvine CA
2. San Jose CA
3. Ann Arbor MI
4. Overland Park KS
5. Boulder CO
6. Plano TX
7. San Diego CA
8. Madison WI
9. Columbia MD
10. Naperville IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I'd pass on this list being very useful

--Don't know how it weights housing costs in the ranking. But it seems like they don't consider it much at all. Some of these places, like San Jose, are uber-expensive for most families. Moreover, college towns, like Ann Arbor or Irvine, are often among the more expensive places in a state that probably has less costly alternatives.
--Like only three cities in the whole U.S. Northeast are good for families? Puh-leeze. Spare me. Columbia and Arlington are good choices IMO, but Trenton is not. At least historically, its government is corrupt, its public schools sub-par, and employment-wise its a one-trick pony--state government and little else. There are lots of stronger contenders for family-friendly cities in the Northeast than Trenton.
--And only two cities in the South, Plano and Naples? (You can go back and forth about how "South" Maryland is.) I could think of a half-dozen places south of the Mason-Dixon that are great places to raise a family--Charlotte, Houston, Winston-Salem, Norfolk/Newport News, just for starters.
-- The listing also seems to give little to no weight to ethnic/racial diversity. Would a Hispanic or Black or Asian family be equally happy in all of these places? I doubt it. Seems like a list (with a few exceptions) for the generic "all-American" family, i.e. the upper-middle-class white family.

This list is a hard pass.
I agree CityLove.

Missing from the report name is the adjective "Bougie". I hate the term but it can't be much closer with the options given. More accurate yet less precious in my opinion would be a list like this which is demographically similar and arguably more diverse.

1.Mercer Island, WA
2.Reston, VA
3.Alpharetta, GA
4.Evanston, IL
5.Fort Collins, CO
6.The Woodlands, TX
7.Sacramento, CA
8.Palm Harbor, FL
9.West Hartford, CT
10.Murfreesboro, TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.