Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 10:40 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

My mom had a summer house in Tenants Harbor ME on a cliff with the waves of Penobscot Bay breaking below. That close to the ocean, you didn't need air conditioning. Even 1/2 mile inland could get really hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 11:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
As someone who lives without central AC, what a lot of people don't consider is that the overnight lows matter just as much, if not more so, than daily highs. Overnight temps need to consistently get below 65F during the summer to adequately cool down the living space.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:27 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,603 times
You don't need it in northern New England, or probably the Adirondacks to the west. I think the biggest factor is the cooling down at night. In VT/NH, overnight lows are under 60 for most nights in the summer. You'll have 3 or 4 uncomfortable nights a year, but usually open your windows and you're fine.

To an extent this was true in Boston and Rhode Island as well. I was ok without A/C in Boston, but I had a drafty first-floor apartment. It's very different in NJ where I live now.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:26 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
For the Midwest...

Anywhere along Lake Superior. E.g. Duluth and the Upper Peninsula.

The eastern shore of Lake Michigan is a close second. But similar to California, the climate is only moderated for a short distance inland. After that, it heats up quick. And the winds will occasionally flip and bring in that warm inland air.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:27 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
For the Midwest...

Anywhere along Lake Superior. E.g. Duluth and the Upper Peninsula.

The eastern shore of Lake Michigan is a close second. But similar to California, the climate is only moderated for a short distance inland. After that, it heats up quick. And the winds will occasionally flip and bring in that warm inland air.
Not quite the case for far northern Wisconsin on the Canadian Shield as the elevation is a good bit higher at around 1,700 ft. to nearly 2,000 ft. elevation. Low temperatures are actually often cooler than areas that are in close proximity to Lake Superior.

Old 08-14-2022, 03:42 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Northern New Hampshire, Vermont, and most of Maine you'd be OK without it but you better have it though in the Manchester-Nashua corridor. I stayed in Manchester this July and it hit 100 degrees with lows in the mid 70s. The other days weren't much better in the mid 90s and it felt like a blast furnace stepping out of my hotel. Maybe my next summer vacation there in NH I'll have better luck but I was surprised visiting from FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.