Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 06:32 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I-95 is 40% of US GDP. If you’re using economics as your metric, it’s no contest. Same for population at 37%.

I’ve never been north of Bangor on it though we’re talking about driving to PEI. I’ve been a bit south of Richmond VA on it going to RDU. I’ve driven bits of it in Georgia and Florida. I lived directly on I-95 for a decade when I was in Portsmouth NH. I’ve lived within a half hour of it most of my life.
That stretch of I-95 is pretty desolate, but it does have the highest speed limits on the East Coast at 75 mph. Watch out for moose!

I like I-25. Of all the interstates I've driven, it's pretty much cruise control at 80 mph, set it and forget it with the exception of the Pueblo to Denver stretch. I'd imagine I-15 being similar away from Vegas and Salt Lake. E/W interstates like I-40 and I-80 have a heavy volume of trucks which often interfere with cruising speeds even in some of the most remote parts since they are such busy shipping corridors.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-01-2022 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 06:35 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I don’t know about I-95 being dangerous. My biggest fear in SC is falling asleep from boredom below Florence.
Dangerous is auto fatalities and accidents.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:17 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Oh, maybe. You always hear Florida is where most i-95 accidents occur, but I don't have the numbers. Given the amount of people doing long-distances on i-95, I can see why fatalities might be higher in general on that stretch.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
That stretch of I-95 is pretty desolate, but it does have the highest speed limits on the East Coast at 75 mph. Watch out for moose!

I like I-25. Of all the interstates I've driven, it's pretty much cruise control at 80 mph, set it and forget it with the exception of the Pueblo to Denver stretch. I'd imagine I-15 being similar away from Vegas and Salt Lake. E/W interstates like I-40 and I-80 have a heavy volume of trucks which often interfere with cruising speeds even in some of the most remote parts since they are such busy shipping corridors.
In New England at the end of the supply chain, I don’t see significant truck traffic. I drove to Vail a year ago and couldn’t believe it. I did I-80 to Youngstown and I-70 from Columbus to Vail. Until Kansas City, the truck traffic was relentless.

I think I’ve driven all of I-25 better Fort Collins and ABQ at various times. I had business cards that said Denver for a bunch of years with an office in Tech Center. No cruise control there. LOL.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Oh, maybe. You always hear Florida is where most i-95 accidents occur, but I don't have the numbers. Given the amount of people doing long-distances on i-95, I can see why fatalities might be higher in general on that stretch.
I've driven 95 from Miami to the 40/95 interchange (to Raleigh) about 80 or 90 times and Florida isn't bad at all beyond getting through Jax and that can be avoided now by the bypass. The biggest issues on 95 are unsurprisingly associated with road construction and there were definitely times when it was really bad around I4, through Palm Beach County, etc. Similarly, GA was bad during their widening project and I expect SC to become bad as it gets the attention that it desperately needs.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:14 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In New England at the end of the supply chain, I don’t see significant truck traffic. I drove to Vail a year ago and couldn’t believe it. I did I-80 to Youngstown and I-70 from Columbus to Vail. Until Kansas City, the truck traffic was relentless.

I think I’ve driven all of I-25 better Fort Collins and ABQ at various times. I had business cards that said Denver for a bunch of years with an office in Tech Center. No cruise control there. LOL.
The conundrum of New England and its shipping corridors is that Connecticut's interstates are most often the gateway entry point for the region and both I-95 and I-84 both have horribly outdated infrastructure through the state. They are choke points for commuters and trucks alike. I-95 in Fairfield County should have been upgraded to at least eight lanes like 40-50 years ago (but remains at six). Really should have gone full on Jersey Turnpike style with the road building through that corridor all the way up to New Haven. But MA and CT both line up their narrow highways with very frequent exits to every town. I-84 west of Hartford is like a giant Storrow Drive with all the left exits and reduced speed limits. This all spills over onto I-495 in Massachusetts which also thick with trucks clashing with commuters since northern New England lacks E/W Interstate connections.

All of New Mexico on I-25 outside Albuquerque is easy cruise control and it picks right back up to speed limits of 75 mph right at the city limits as the city abruptly drops after the Tramway exit. I always approached Denver coming from the south and yes, the DTC right after the 470 interchange is where I often slowed down for heavy traffic. After the US 36 Interchange in Westminster it was pretty much smooth sailing up into Wyoming (80 mph speed limits!). The scenery really drops off after Cheyenne as the Front Range falls away and much of eastern Wyoming pretty is much a cold windy arid wasteland, not even good for ranching. Denver's highway infrastructure is starting to catch up to the city's growth, but they are using the private toll lane models for expansion like a lot of sunbelt metros are doing now.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-01-2022 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 11:50 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
I-35 has to be the worst interstate in the country. In TX it is nothing but construction and heavy traffic from south of SA through Dallas, with traffic crippling crashes every single day. The interstate is clogged with 18 wheelers. South of SA it is ugly. North of Dallas it is ugly, boring and flat, aside from the few cities that it hits along the way, (OKC, KC, DM, MSP).

Old 08-01-2022, 12:47 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
My only experience with I-5 is the stretch from Seattle to Eugene. It's alright, it's not as scenic or pretty as you would think. It's probably the least interesting route of the all the interstates and US highways in the PNW.

I've never been on I-15, but it contains, from what I've heard, one of the most scenic stretches of interstate, which is the Virgin River Gorge.

I've ridden I-75 from Cincinnati all the way up to the Canada border. The stretches in northern Michigan are pretty cool, especially when you cross the bridge into the UP.

I've done I-65 from Louisville to Chicago a couple times. I've also done I-25 from Denver all the way down to southern New Mexico. They're both pretty boring from what I remember. Though I prefer I-65, especially during the summer months.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:24 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
I say 75, 95, and 5 from my experience.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
My only experience with I-5 is the stretch from Seattle to Eugene. It's alright, it's not as scenic or pretty as you would think. It's probably the least interesting route of the all the interstates and US highways in the PNW.

I've never been on I-15, but it contains, from what I've heard, one of the most scenic stretches of interstate, which is the Virgin River Gorge.

I've ridden I-75 from Cincinnati all the way up to the Canada border. The stretches in northern Michigan are pretty cool, especially when you cross the bridge into the UP.

I've done I-65 from Louisville to Chicago a couple times. I've also done I-25 from Denver all the way down to southern New Mexico. They're both pretty boring from what I remember. Though I prefer I-65, especially during the summer months.
Agreed, I-5 is not a scenic freeway, with the exception
of parts of Northern California around Mt Shasta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.