Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 07:19 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,038 times

Advertisements

More people will have a connection to 95 than any other major interstate. Even on the west coast almost everyone is from or has family that has or used to live on the 95 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 07:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
More people will have a connection to 95 than any other major interstate. Even on the west coast almost everyone is from or has family that has or used to live on the 95 corridor.
That is a bold statement. And I disagree. It is not factual, as in “almost everyone” is vague. Please offer some real stats to this erroneous post. Opinions are fine, but if you can’t back them up your post is irrelevant.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-01-2022 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 07:57 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
My only experience with I-5 is the stretch from Seattle to Eugene. It's alright, it's not as scenic or pretty as you would think. It's probably the least interesting route of the all the interstates and US highways in the PNW.
Agreed honestly. The only part that's really scenic before you get to the Rogue Valley is that stretch through Skagit County, where you get a view of some nice old farms and then the Cascade foothills and the mountains on/around Whidbey Island off in the distance. Besides that, most of the northern I-5 route doesn't feel that dissimilar from Midwestern farm country.

I-5 through the Central Valley in CA is terrible. It's dusty, hot, and endlessly flat, with very few towns, like driving through the Oklahoma Panhandle. (In more ways than one, Okies displaced by the Dust Bowl formed an early wave of migrants to the region.)

It's only half-vertical (diagonal NW-SE) but I-84 is pretty cool, especially in the stretches from Portland through the Cascades, and around Umatilla/Union Counties in OR as you're ascending the Blue Mountains and can see the endless yellow rolling hills below you. Pretty unique geography.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:08 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
The Interstate program of the late 50’s and early 60’s had no need to route through popular, but smaller cities. In fact the idea was to skirt most smaller towns, then certainly head straight in to major cities. This was well calculated to increase efficiency. I think it was the correct plan.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:44 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZaz. View Post
Hello, I was just wondering what is your favorite interstate that goes north-south in the US. The interstates that qualify are Interstate 5, Interstate 15, Interstate 25, Interstate 35, Interstate 55, Interstate 65, Interstate 75, and Interstate 95.
I've been on a fair amount of I-5 and I-75 and almost all I-95 south of New Jersey, and I wouldn't rank any of them as my favorite north-south one. For that honor, I'd give I-85 from Petersburg, Virginia to Montgomery, Alabama. While some stretches can be boring, such as the first two hours south from Petersburg to Durham, most of it is pretty busy and interesting and not overwhelmingly so, connecting major cities such as Durham, Greensboro, Charlotte, Greenville, Spartanburg and Atlanta with a fair amount of decent-sized metropolises along the way. It's decently scenic with lots of hills, and most exits have the amenities you'd want to access easily (gas, restaurants and hotels). Yeah, some of it is being widened and needs to be widened in Georgia and the Carolinas, but I'd much rather be driving on it rather than I-95 any day.

Old 08-27-2022, 02:36 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

I-5 through the Central Valley in CA is terrible. It's dusty, hot, and endlessly flat, with very few towns, like driving through the Oklahoma Panhandle. (In more ways than one, Okies displaced by the Dust Bowl formed an early wave of migrants to the region.)

Don't forget the gigantic stinky feedlot on the east side of the highway;
"roll up your window and hold your nose!"

And ironically, even though it travels through a bountiful agricultural region,
I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley is mostly a food desert for the traveler
(a happy exception: Tita's Pupuseria in Buttonwillow). The options get better
to the north in the Sacramento Valley, where I-5 goes through the main towns
instead of bypassing them.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:13 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
That is a bold statement. And I disagree. It is not factual, as in “almost everyone” is vague. Please offer some real stats to this erroneous post. Opinions are fine, but if you can’t back them up your post is irrelevant.
I-95 cuts through states that make up 36% of the US population, and actually goes through 5 of the 11 largest CSA’s in the country including NYC and the capital. It’s obviously possible not to know anyone who lives near the I-95 corridor, but it’s certainly the closest thing the country has to a Main Street interstate.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:48 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Here's how I'd rank them based on perceived importance, from most to least:

I-95
I-5
I-75
I-35
I-55
I-85
I-65
I-15
I-25
I-45

Old 09-05-2022, 08:38 PM

327 posts, read 222,555 times
I-75 is my favorite! I-5 and I-95 are nasty — bad pavement, lots of road construction, aggressive drivers, poor rest areas, etc.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:09 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I-5 would be my favorite other than the stretch through Central Calif. I haven't driven that fwy in a few years but the last time it was still 2 lanes, which I think is ridiculous for California traffic. Otherwise much of I-5 especially from Northern Calif northward is scenic.

My least favorite is I-95. Heavy traffic and tolls on portions of that Interstate, that travels into the densely populated Northeast and all its major cities. Can't stand that Interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.