Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 10:27 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Tires do not lock up unless you don't have the right type of tires and are in very serious conditions. Speaking of Syracuse, they remove the snow from streets and have a system for snow removal from sidewalks in place to be done efficiently(streets are done better, but walkable areas are pretty good in terms of sidewalks).

Also, keep in mind that the list does take into account that people may snowbird it for the winter. This does happen and people may leave around/after Thanksgiving time until about mid March or so.
If you say so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 10:30 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
If you say so?
Well, given that I live there, I'm quite familiar with the snow. Many people just use all weather tires and do just fine and if you have snow tires, even better.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:50 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, given that I live there, I'm quite familiar with the snow. Many people just use all weather tires and do just fine and if you have snow tires, even better.
Like I said, if you say so? We were in Syracuse the day (or two) after Thanksgiving in 2018 (my wife has a cousin there) and I don’t recall the streets being all that great after a snow storm? I’m not saying they might not do a good job, especially compared to other cities similar to them, but let’s not kid ourselves about driving in the winter, and waking on sidewalks. I’ll leave walking on private property out of it too.

Besides owning a house in the mountains, I also went to college in Michigan, so I’m very familiar with both driving and walking in winter conditions. While it may just be a minor inconvenience for some, this thread is about retirees. Things change dramatically when you get to a certain age.

And all season tires (mud + snow) will not keep you from locking up/sliding out. We have 4WD and (M+S) tires and still run into trouble occasionally going to our cabin. As for snow tires, that’s a tall order to have someone switch to them every winter while storing the old ones. Especially a retiree.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Like I said, if you say so? We were in Syracuse the day (or two) after Thanksgiving in 2018 (my wife has a cousin there) and I don’t recall the streets being all that great after a snow storm? I’m not saying they might not do a good job, especially compared to other cities similar to them, but let’s not kid ourselves about driving in the winter, and waking on sidewalks. I’ll leave walking on private property out of it too.

Besides owning a house in the mountains, I also went to college in Michigan, so I’m very familiar with both driving and walking in winter conditions. While it may just be a minor inconvenience for some, this thread is about retirees. Things change dramatically when you get to a certain age.

And all season tires (mud + snow) will not keep you from locking up/sliding out. We have 4WD and (M+S) tires and still run into trouble occasionally going to our cabin. As for snow tires, that’s a tall order to have someone switch to them every winter while storing the old ones. Especially a retiree.
Again, as a person that has driven in the area for decades, I'm just telling you, it is different from driving in an area that is more rural or in the mountains. Streets that would take cities in other regions days, take maybe hours to get cleared due to having the equipment.

I already addressed the sidewalk aspect, as it can be iffy, depending on where you live and if that is even an aspect to consider.

There are many people that are retired that stay in the area all year, as my parents fall into that category and live in their home. So, I also have a personal connection to people that are retired in the area and there are quite a few other people that manage do it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-17-2022 at 11:23 AM..

Old 08-17-2022, 12:58 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
List is all eastern half of US. Affordability of major western US is a factor. But smaller western cities offer good options.

Some people are low to flat no on eastern US, for what it is and what it doesn't have (the vast western wilderness). I would never consider half of the list and would be unlikely to actually select one of the better 5 of these.

But the list is probably pretty good for at least consideration by others. Those from and agreeable to the east.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-17-2022 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-17-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
List is all eastern half of US. Affordability of major western US is a factor. But smaller western cities offer good options.

Some people are low to flat no on eastern US, for what it is and what it doesn't have (the vast western wilderness). I would never consider half of the list and would be unlikely to actually select one of the better 5 of these.

But the list is probably pretty good for at least consideration by others. Those from and agreeable to the east.
It may not be to the same degree, but some of the cities on the list are close to vast wilderness as well. Portland ME is one city that comes to mind, with such areas in the northern part of the state.

Even Syracuse is within an hour and 30 minutes from the Adirondacks(Old Forge in the western portion of the park), which while having some private land, take up 1/5th of NY State's land area and the park is bigger than the Yosemite, Everglades, Grand Canyon, and Yellowstone National Parks combined: https://www.adirondackcouncil.org/pa...rks%20combined.

Concord NH is also close to mountains and wilderness to the north.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-17-2022 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-17-2022, 04:31 PM

Those are the 3 best on this list to me, though I'd probably pick other smaller cities in those states if I went those directions.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:02 AM

Additional details:

Adirondacks are a unique design.

"Unlike most state parks, about 52 percent of the land is privately owned inholdings... This area contains 102 towns and villages, as well as numerous farms, businesses and an active timber-harvesting industry.The year-round population is 132,000, with 200,000 seasonal residents."

Maine is 41st among states for percent of public lands. NH higher but just 19th.

Idaho and Utah's public land percentages are about 4 times New Hampshire's. Oregon, Arizona and Wyoming's public land percentages are about 10 times Maine's. New York's percentage is more robust and close to Colorado and Montana's. But on state size, Colorado is big enough to fit 2 New Yorks. Montana, 3.

Comparing multi-state regions, the differences in size, populations, densities and public lands are very large.

Good to have options.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-18-2022 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 10:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Traverse City is actually growing at a pretty good clip, along with getting a bit expensive. This in spite of it apparently being snowmageddon.
I have been there, during the Cherry Festival, and it was a beautiful little town that time of year. I see that the $499k median home price there is up 28.1% over last year, but that's still only 1/3 of the median here.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Additional details:

Adirondacks are a unique design.

"Unlike most state parks, about 52 percent of the land is privately owned inholdings... This area contains 102 towns and villages, as well as numerous farms, businesses and an active timber-harvesting industry.The year-round population is 132,000, with 200,000 seasonal residents."

Maine is 41st among states for percent of public lands. NH higher but just 19th.

Idaho and Utah's public land percentages are about 4 times New Hampshire's. Oregon, Arizona and Wyoming's public land percentages are about 10 times Maine's. New York's percentage is more robust and close to Colorado and Montana's. But on state size, Colorado is big enough to fit 2 New Yorks. Montana, 3.

Comparing multi-state regions, the differences in size, populations, densities and public lands are very large.

Good to have options.
Fair points, but given that states are much smaller out east, you can live in another state and still be able to take in public land in another state.

It still may be a matter of degree, but as mentioned, there is some that is accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.