Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,454 times

Advertisements

I like the South and all, but good God, TexasReb is without a doubt the biggest Southern fanboy I have ever seen. To the point of creepy obsession. Every post always seems to get something in about the South. You make it seem like everyone down there is a Bobby Joe or a Jimmy Jack with thick Southern accents who sit on the porch, drinking sweet tea with a Confederate handkerchief in hand, reminiscing about "old times" and "the way it used to be", about a time long ago they weren't even around for. They just live their lives, just like everyone else in the world. Yes, they realize the war is over(most of them, anyhow). Yes, they're Southerners, but that's where it ends. They don't feel the need to attach the label and wear it around as some badge for some unwarranted sense of self-importance, ok? Why's it so hard to just acknowledge that Southerners are just like everyone else in the world? And that goes for all the other jealous, bitter, butthurt haters from the Rust Belt, Northeast, Midwest, etc. They(Southerners) are people too, not objects or experimental subjects.

The way you proclaim yourself as a "Southerner" first, and American second is ridiculous. You wouldn't go to another country and say "I'm a Southerner", would you? Then again you might, but...you're an American first and foremost. Texas isn't a complete Southern state, it's part of different regions. Southwest, Prairie, South, Mexican suburb(jk). Maryland, while not a fully Southern state either(neither is Virginia, the South is no longer defined by the DEFUNCT Confederacy) has more Southern culture and history than Texas will ever have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I like the South and all, but good God, TexasReb is without a doubt the biggest Southern fanboy I have ever seen. To the point of creepy obsession. Every post always seems to get something in about the South. You make it seem like everyone down there is a Bobby Joe or a Jimmy Jack with thick Southern accents who sit on the porch, drinking sweet tea with a Confederate handkerchief in hand, reminiscing about "old times" and "the way it used to be", about a time long ago they weren't even around for. They just live their lives, just like everyone else in the world. Yes, they realize the war is over(most of them, anyhow). Yes, they're Southerners, but that's where it ends. They don't feel the need to attach the label and wear it around as some badge for some unwarranted sense of self-importance, ok? Why's it so hard to just acknowledge that Southerners are just like everyone else in the world? And that goes for all the other jealous, bitter, butthurt haters from the Rust Belt, Northeast, Midwest, etc. They(Southerners) are people too, not objects or experimental subjects.

The way you proclaim yourself as a "Southerner" first, and American second is ridiculous. You wouldn't go to another country and say "I'm a Southerner", would you? Then again you might, but...you're an American first and foremost. Texas isn't a complete Southern state, it's part of different regions. Southwest, Prairie, South, Mexican suburb(jk). Maryland, while not a fully Southern state either(neither is Virginia, the South is no longer defined by the DEFUNCT Confederacy) has more Southern culture and history than Texas will ever have.
Well that was completely unnecessary.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'll bite. Here's my list, having lived here 16 years.

1. The sounds of crickets and tree frogs at night during the early summer.
2. The colorful language. Southerners just have a profound gift with words, both spoken and written.
3. Musicians everywhere. Seriously. We northerners should be ashamed that we can't produce a fraction of the musicians that the South does.
4. Overall, the kindness and hospitality. However, I think this does get a little bit oversold. The South has its share of rude, knuckle-dragging halfwits, too.
5. Southerners are far, far more sociable.
Ok I can agree with everything you said but the 5th one. I'd had better conversations with people from New York, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia than I have with people from Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, and New Orleans. I don't know. Maybe it's my personality but I was raised in the South. I can instantly start a conversation with New Yorkers and be sociable than I could with Southerners.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok I can agree with everything you said but the 5th one. I'd had better conversations with people from New York, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia than I have with people from Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, and New Orleans. I don't know. Maybe it's my personality but I was raised in the South. I can instantly start a conversation with New Yorkers and be sociable than I could with Southerners.
I met the sweetest woman from New York in Gatlinburg . Problem was, I couldn't understand half of what she said she talked so fast! Is that the way alot of them are?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I met the sweetest woman from New York in Gatlinburg . Problem was, I couldn't understand half of what she said she talked so fast! Is that the way alot of them are?
No, not really. You know what, I have rarely met the fast talking tounge twisting person at all from up north. They do talk faster though than Southerners.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, not really. You know what, I have rarely met the fast talking tounge twisting person at all from up north. They do talk faster though than Southerners.
My gosh the woman sounded like an auctioneer bless her heart.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Well that was completely unnecessary.

I thought it was great! I love it when they get their panties in a knot so tight their voices start to get real high.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM

Once again a perfectly decent thread is being hijacked by some angry, bitter person.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'll bite. Here's my list, having lived here 16 years.

1. The sounds of crickets and tree frogs at night during the early summer.
2. The colorful language. Southerners just have a profound gift with words, both spoken and written.
3. Musicians everywhere. Seriously. We northerners should be ashamed that we can't produce a fraction of the musicians that the South does.
4. Overall, the kindness and hospitality. However, I think this does get a little bit oversold. The South has its share of rude, knuckle-dragging halfwits, too.
5. Southerners are far, far more sociable.
Every major metro area is awash with musicians. I would like to see a stat that shows the south has a significantly higher number of musicians than the rest of the country. I am willing to bet that your assessment is incorrect. You make it sound like the south is this mythical place where everyone has profound innate artistic abilities.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Every major metro area is awash with musicians. I would like to see a stat that shows the south has a significantly higher number of musicians than the rest of the country. I am willing to bet that your assessment is incorrect. You make it sound like the south is this mythical place where everyone has profound innate artistic abilities.
Sorry. I'm a midwesterner and I've got to say you're wrong. I was a studio musician in Chicago for several years, and toured with any number of bands, both nationally and internationally. Over the years on the road, you hit a lot of clubs in a lot of cities. And, over the years, you really start knowing which towns make you want to leave the hotel, and which ones make you want to stay in and watch The Sopranos on HBO and make phone calls home.

Places like Nashville (!), Memphis, New Orleans, and Athens, Georgia, are obvious choices. But towns like Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Savannah, Charleston, etc., aren't that far behind.

Before I hung up the touring 15 years ago, we did one last sweep through South. I remember our being in Tallahassee, Florida, at some dinky nightclub on our second-to-last night, listen to yet another band play after we'd wrapped up our set. We started talking and realized that we hadn't heard a bad band during our entire tour. As one guy said, "They just don't play that good back in Ohio."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.