Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 03:58 PM

483 posts, read 354,964 times

Advertisements

I imagine most people do this. If you don't live in a major city that is well-know to everyone, how does your sense of place change as you get further and further away from it?

For example, I grew up in Forest Grove, Oregon which is a smallish college town/suburb of 30,000 25 miles West of Portland. If I were anywhere in Northwestern Oregon or Southwestern Washington State, if someone were to ask me where I was from I would say Forest Grove. Outside of that 100 mile radius, I would probably answer Portland unless I knew the person asking had an intimate knowledge of Oregon geography. Outside the US I would probably would have answered Oregon although recently Portland has become so well known among people under 35 that Portland is better known.

I would be very interested to hear other people's thoughts on the matter? I imagine someone mathematically inclined could devise some sort of gravity model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 04:02 PM

457 posts, read 308,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
I imagine most people do this. If you don't live in a major city that is well-know to everyone, how does your sense of place change as you get further and further away from it?

For example, I grew up in Forest Grove, Oregon which is a smallish college town/suburb of 30,000 25 miles West of Portland. If I were anywhere in Northwestern Oregon or Southwestern Washington State, if someone were to ask me where I was from I would say Forest Grove. Outside of that 100 mile radius, I would probably answer Portland unless I knew the person asking had an intimate knowledge of Oregon geography. Outside the US I would probably would have answered Oregon although recently Portland has become so well known among people under 35 that Portland is better known.

I would be very interested to hear other people's thoughts on the matter? I imagine someone mathematically inclined could devise some sort of gravity model.
How large is large?
The biggest town in my STATE is only 100,000 people.

If I used the largest close city, that would be Calgary, Alberta Canada, so I'd have to change my nationality as well as be outside my state to say I'm from a certain area.
Funny thing, the city of Calgary has more population than my entire state.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:06 PM

483 posts, read 354,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
How large is large?
The biggest town in my STATE is only 100,000 people.

If I used the largest close city, that would be Calgary, Alberta Canada, so I'd have to change my nationality as well as be outside my state to say I'm from a certain area.
It's all subjective, I'd imagine. If you're from Great Falls, is that what you'd answer if you were in Spokane, Boise or Calgary? Would you just say Montana outside of the state? I would guess most people outside of Montana or adjoining states would know the name of any towns or cities in the state.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:24 PM

457 posts, read 308,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
It's all subjective, I'd imagine. If you're from Great Falls, is that what you'd answer if you were in Spokane, Boise or Calgary? Would you just say Montana outside of the state? I would guess most people outside of Montana or adjoining states would know the name of any towns or cities in the state.
Possibly, but many only know Bozeman or Billings, and there's a lot of state outside of those 2 towns in south central Montana.

When I was in the military, about the closest I could say that anybody knew was to say Montana, and in Europe I would have to describe "you go to the far northwest corner of the US, then come east about 200 miles/400 kilometers, and just south of Canada.

Adjoining states know some of the bigger towns, but anything smaller than Kalispell, (population 24,000), or Miles City, (population 8,000)
so, no, they don't. If I told you I was from Wilsall or Clyde Park, or Springdale, would that tell you where I was from?
To many people from somewhere else you either live outside Yellowstone Park or Glacier Park.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:49 PM

14,032 posts, read 15,045,659 times
Depends on what you mean by adjacent. Like is Long Beach LA? Yeah is Riverside? No

Is Revere Boston? Yes, is Acton? No.

People might make comments or whatever but there is an understanding your lifestyle/experience in Revere/Quincy isn’t much different than East Boston/Dorchester but Hingham or Acton are actually very different.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,018,991 times
I feel like this also depends on the context of the question and/or who is asking.

I grew up mainly in an affluent inner-ring suburb of Chicago. If I were just having a general conversation with someone, like someone next to me on a flight, I'd just say "Chicago" so they'd have an idea of how far from home I was.

If it were in a more social-justice context, or I knew the person was interested in that stuff, I might say "suburbs of Chicago" or "a suburb touching Chicago". The background of a white guy who actually grew up in the city vs. outside the city will be pretty different. Definitely if we'd been talking about inner-city issues like terrible public schools, crime, and poverty, I wouldn't want to give the wrong impression of my background (although of course, many people in major cities don't deal with that stuff either).

I might even just say "Illinois" if we were talking about state-level politics and laws, or something like the weather or native flora/fauna you grew up with, which is more of a regional thing and has little to do with urban vs. suburban vs. rural.

Last edited by TheTimidBlueBars; 08-25-2022 at 07:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2022, 07:30 PM

12,172 posts, read 8,042,307 times
People in most of Eastern New England say “Boston” which is hilarious

Old 08-26-2022, 05:01 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,491,727 times
If I'm talking to another native New Englander, I'll say the actual town because they've probably heard of it and have an idea of where it is.

If I'm talking to someone from outside New England, I'll say the state, or I'll just say "outside of Boston". However, saying Boston is only true in the sense that it's the only anchor for the whole New England region. The small town I grew up in was a 2 hour drive from Boston and we had no interaction with it on a day-to-day basis aside from watching Channel 5 and NESN.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:41 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,844,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
If I'm talking to another native New Englander, I'll say the actual town because they've probably heard of it and have an idea of where it is.

If I'm talking to someone from outside New England, I'll say the state, or I'll just say "outside of Boston". However, saying Boston is only true in the sense that it's the only anchor for the whole New England region. The small town I grew up in was a 2 hour drive from Boston and we had no interaction with it on a day-to-day basis aside from watching Channel 5 and NESN.
Having grown up 45 minutes north of Boston, I can echo these sentiments, though where I was at definitely had a large commuter flow to Boston/128. It's just a thing for most anyone in Massachusetts east of Worcester to be inclined to say they live in, near, or outside of Boston. I'd wager most people in Massachusetts wouldn't know the accurate demonym for their own state. And then it gets quite ambiguous for anyone googling this topic. Nobody says Massachusettsian or Bay Stater, and I mean nobody! They would sooner say M***hole and own it with pride. But Boston, outside Boston, and Bostonian is normally always the default answer.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-26-2022 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-26-2022, 07:46 AM

12,172 posts, read 8,042,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Having grown up 45 minutes north of Boston, I can echo these sentiments, though where I was at definitely had a large commuter flow to Boston/128. It's just a thing for most anyone in Massachusetts east of Worcester to be inclined to say they live in, near, or outside of Boston. I'd wager most people in Massachusetts wouldn't know the accurate demonym for their own state. And then it gets quite ambiguous for anyone googling this topic. Nobody says Massachusettsian or Bay Stater, and I mean nobody! They would sooner say M***hole and own it with pride. But Boston, outside Boston, and Bostonian is normally always the default answer.
Accurate assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.