Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 03:58 PM

457 posts, read 348,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No one cares about the suburb you're from. They want to know the general area.
This^ I'm not from Boston, and I'm not particularly familiar with it. So I suppose I don't know the local nuances that make it important to specify what politically divided, autonomously governed place one comes from there. As a non-New Englander, if it's part of contiguous development, and far enough away from another core I'd just prefer the person to say Boston. I won't know the more obscure place they call home anyway lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 04:16 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s cause someone from Kansas City doesn’t care about their opinion of someone from Dundalk MD about the cities plans to do ADA renovations ti it’s library branches or whatever. (Also maybe a bad example cause someone from Baltimore county I guess are from a Baltimore)

They’ll ask about like crab cakes or the Orioles or something that’s not that deep.

If you answer “Buffalo” they’ll reply “snows a lot don’t it? Which is also true of Tonawanda or Amherst. They’re not asking about your alderman

It’s like useless small talk

Basically they don’t actually care where you are from, it’s just small talk

It’s like asking people if they’re lying if they reply “good” to how are you.

Having lived in the Southwest and the West Coast, sports was always the ice breaker and identifier. Often they would throw shade at Brady and the Patriots, insert chuckles that follow. Nothing personal, just small talk. And I think the biggest factor is the abysmal geographical knowledge standard for most everyday people all over the US. Names like Massachusetts and New England just weren't on their radar. Boston, oh yeah... that's when the conversation goes to sports, cold weather, or whatever movie/accent/media image they had of the place. Even with the New England Patriots when I told them where Foxboro was, I also had to explain to more than a few people that New Jersey and Delaware are not New England states as I get a deer in the headlights response. It is what it is.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:41 PM

536 posts, read 392,050 times
For me how I answer depend on my audience. It's all about engagement (connecting to others).

If I'm talking to someone who knows the area well, I'll mention the particular suburb I'm from, as they'll know where that is, a lot about it, etc. (e.g. -- Oh Wow, my sister lives in Webster Groves right next door. I love the architecture in that area...)

If the person I'm talking to doesn't know as much about the area, I'll say I'm from St. Louis. (And often I'll be responses like.
We stopped there on our trip out west last year for an overnight and went to the Arch and your zoo. Your zoo is so incredible and we really thought the arch was cool too.) (Wow, my son works at the Gateway Arch, if you went up you might of even had him as a tour guide.) (Or I've never been to St. Louis, but I love the Cardinals and then we talk about baseball.)

Old 08-29-2022, 06:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
This^ I'm not from Boston, and I'm not particularly familiar with it. So I suppose I don't know the local nuances that make it important to specify what politically divided, autonomously governed place one comes from there. As a non-New Englander, if it's part of contiguous development, and far enough away from another core I'd just prefer the person to say Boston. I won't know the more obscure place they call home anyway lol.
I'm from Baton Rouge, a sizeable enough city that some people know. If they don't know, I just say an hour outside of New Orleans and that satisfies everyone.
When I lived in Arvada I would still say Denver, the only time I would mention Arvada is if it was someone in/from the area.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:01 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I think people are way overthinking this. Answering the "where are you from" question requires context. If I happen to strike up a conversation with someone in my local grocery store, I'll tell them the name of my neighborhood or even the name of my street. If I'm talking with someone at church, I'll say something like "east end of Ellicott City, just off Exit 4 from Route 100." If it's someone I meet on a cruise, I'll say Baltimore. If they happen to know the area, then I can drill down from there. None of this has anything to do with trying to claim the city as my own when I don't actually live within its borders, or anything like that.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:11 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think people are way overthinking this. Answering the "where are you from" question requires context. If I happen to strike up a conversation with someone in my local grocery store, I'll tell them the name of my neighborhood or even the name of my street. If I'm talking with someone at church, I'll say something like "east end of Ellicott City, just off Exit 4 from Route 100." If it's someone I meet on a cruise, I'll say Baltimore. If they happen to know the area, then I can drill down from there. None of this has anything to do with trying to claim the city as my own when I don't actually live within its borders, or anything like that.
Saying "10 miles west of Baltimore" or "suburbs outside of Baltimore" takes about 1 second longer than saying "Baltimore."

People might not know the specific names or places, but they do know the difference between city and suburbs all around the world.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:19 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Saying "10 miles west of Baltimore" or "suburbs outside of Baltimore" takes about 1 second longer than saying "Baltimore."

People might not know the specific names or places, but they do know the difference between city and suburbs all around the world.
May as well get mad when people say “good” when asked how they are when they are in fact, not good

Old 08-29-2022, 08:01 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
May as well get mad when people say “good” when asked how they are when they are in fact, not good
Admittedly I laughed at this, but its not getting mad. Its simply recognizing a subtle attempt to mislead others.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I think the more familiar of an area a person is with where you’re talking about the more specific you become.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:35 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,512,757 times
One reason might be that you feel your listener might not have heard of the suburb you came from, so it seems more helpful to name the major city. I might have more of an issue with those who say they're from [insert major city renowned for culture, etc.], and what they really mean is their parents moved them to BFE when they were two years old. But it's not like I care enough about it to make an issue of it.

I've noticed that some businesses based in L.A. suburbs--I mean real, politically independent cities like Beverly Hills and Culver city, now state L.A. as their primary business location. I'm sorry I can't recall the names, but I definitely recall at least one example each from both of those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.