Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 04:14 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Basically they don’t actually care where you are from, it’s just small talk
Yeah, it's the same reason why I give a fake name when ordering coffee/sandwiches/etc. They don't need to know exactly how I spell my name; it's just a placeholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 04:16 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewater11 View Post
It's not that serious lol
No its not, but its a thing that's out there.

I don't know much about Chicago or Boston, but I know that if I live in their suburbs and go to the city and claim living in the city, eventually someone will jprobably say something-to my face-about this discrepancy.

The question underlying the premise of this thread-are the people calling me out weird, or am I weird for claiming the city?

Old 08-30-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewater11 View Post
You live in socal now so it's better to just be chill and enjoy the sun. If someone confronts you about such a minor discrepancy then those people are probably not that great to be around anyway.
I was referring to that hypothetical Boston or Chicago scenario. That kind of stuff happens, right?

Old 08-30-2022, 07:29 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
I've lived in Evanston (close suburb immediately north of Chicago), Arlington, VA (inner-ring suburb immediately west of DC) and Doral, FL (close suburb immediately west of Miami) and I'd say for all three of those my rationale for answering was basically the same.

Anyone who might know of the exact city, I'll give them that...often followed with "near X Major City"
Anyone who likely wouldn't know the exact city, I'd just say the Major City.
Anyone who likely would know, I'd just say the exact city.

Pretty straightforward. I never had any concerns/qualms about stating the suburb I was in, but if that would be meaningless to the listener then I'd adjust my comment.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:16 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
It’s like on LinkedIn where people who work 55-65 miles north of downtown Los Angeles in a much smaller city like Oxnard, Simi, Camarillo or Moorpark in Ventura County will list “The Greater Los Angeles Metro” for location.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
It’s like on LinkedIn where people who work 55-65 miles north of downtown Los Angeles in a much smaller city like Oxnard, Simi, Camarillo or Moorpark in Ventura County will list “The Greater Los Angeles Metro” for location.
I think LInkedin in does that automatically when it sees those cities.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:59 AM

624 posts, read 905,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
For me how I answer depend on my audience. It's all about engagement (connecting to others).

If I'm talking to someone who knows the area well, I'll mention the particular suburb I'm from, as they'll know where that is, a lot about it, etc. (e.g. -- Oh Wow, my sister lives in Webster Groves right next door. I love the architecture in that area...)

If the person I'm talking to doesn't know as much about the area, I'll say I'm from St. Louis. (And often I'll be responses like.
We stopped there on our trip out west last year for an overnight and went to the Arch and your zoo. Your zoo is so incredible and we really thought the arch was cool too.) (Wow, my son works at the Gateway Arch, if you went up you might of even had him as a tour guide.) (Or I've never been to St. Louis, but I love the Cardinals and then we talk about baseball.)
Your answer makes sense. I have relatives in Illinois, have been through St. Louis countless times and know Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Shrewsbury just by the freeway exit signs.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
It depends on the circumstances. When I lived in Lafayette, California, a friend and I did a 2-1/2 month cross country trip, 18,000 miles. When we met people and they saw my license plates and asked where we were from, we said "San Francisco" which was actually 23 miles from it. Why? Because they all heard of SF, telling them Lafayette would draw blank stares. Currently we live in Sammamish, WA, but tell people that we are from "the Seattle area." Again, they wouldn't have heard of Sammamish, but at the same time, we wouldn't want to say Seattle itself now, with the dysfunction there.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:39 AM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

I don't know much about Chicago or Boston, but I know that if I live in their suburbs and go to the city and claim living in the city, eventually someone will probably say something-to my face-about this discrepancy.
I don't think this is the crux of the question though. Using myself as an example, I grew up in the Boston suburbs. If I was in the city of Boston and someone asked, of course I would not say that I'm from Boston, I would list the specific town that I lived in.

But if I'm in, say, Seattle, and someone asked where I'm from, I would say Boston. Why? Well for one, nobody will have heard of the small town that I lived in. And two, it's "close enough".

I've never, in my 42 years on this earth, had ANYBODY every challenge where I'm from. I'm convinced this is only a thing on City-Data, where this issue comes up repeatedly (and usually within a few cities only, Boston being one). At the end of the day, it's such a trivial thing and not worth getting worked up over...

Old 09-01-2022, 07:10 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
I think in Boston we’re conditioned to be more sensitive to this subject because of how certain “suburbs” would be a part of the main city in any other major metropolis.

If someone from Brookline says they’re from Boston, my gut reaction is “No. Your town very aggressively chose to not be Boston”. And that resentment translates perhaps unfairly to the suburbs even farther from the city which might claim it like Millis or Boxborough, towns that would still be suburbs in a normal city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.