Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 02:39 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times

Advertisements

This is basically the inverse of the other thread and the psychological bit.

• What are your reasons that people need to know exactly where you're 'from'?
  • How does that change things from just saying where you are from?
  • What does it mean exactly when you say people don't know where that is? Do they know where the main city is?
  • Is it just convenient or is it that you really feel yure pretty much from that city?
  • Do people react differently when you say where you are actually from vs. the city you are claiming?
  • Is this a big deal/point of contention in your city or metro itself?

This is a thread to explain this more fully, if anyone's interested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 03:20 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
It’s cause someone from Kansas City doesn’t care about their opinion of someone from Dundalk MD about the cities plans to do ADA renovations ti it’s library branches or whatever. (Also maybe a bad example cause someone from Baltimore county I guess are from a Baltimore)

They’ll ask about like crab cakes or the Orioles or something that’s not that deep.

If you answer “Buffalo” they’ll reply “snows a lot don’t it? Which is also true of Tonawanda or Amherst. They’re not asking about your alderman

It’s like useless small talk

Basically they don’t actually care where you are from, it’s just small talk

It’s like asking people if they’re lying if they reply “good” to how are you.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:24 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
If you're from that area and/or know it really well then it makes no difference at the end of the day. I find this to be a topic or talking point for uninformed, naive people who don't know much about their surroundings or what their area is known for. Kind of an insecurity thing to make up for not knowing much.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:32 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,840,791 times
In the case of Boston I would say it can make me seem more respectable than just coming from some small town in Massachusetts. Not only have people heard of Boston it’s thought of as a place with high incomes, arts and culture and learning and so it reflects well on me to say I’m from Boston versus I’m from Milford, Mass.

New York all the more so. Whose going to say they’re from Massapequa, Long Island, when they can just say they’re from New York. And they’re not wrong; the state conveniently has the same name as the city

Old 08-29-2022, 03:34 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
In the case of Boston I would say it can make me seem more respectable than just coming from some small town in Massachusetts. Not only have people heard of Boston it’s thought of as a place with high incomes, arts and culture and learning and so it reflects well on me to say I’m from Boston versus I’m from Milford, Mass.

New York all the more so. Whose going to say they’re from Massapequa, Long Island, when they can just say they’re from New York. And they’re not wrong; the state conveniently has the same name as the city
Psst that’s because people associate Boston with the suburbs. Like is BU was the best college in the region rather than the 3rd, Boston wouldn’t have that “center of learning reputation” or Boston is wealthy because Newton, Brookline, etc are associated with it

Old 08-29-2022, 03:36 PM

1,204 posts, read 796,494 times
B/c unless you live in a metro area people are not going to know where each and every single little suburban villages/towns? Take Chicagoland for example some people may know Naperville IL but probably not everyone knows where, let say, Winfield IL. Alternatively, West Chicago IL is not a suburb just west of the Chicago city limit, either...

And to most people, what difference does it make anyway which exact tiny suburb you're from? Unless you want to discuss whether, let say, Elmhurst or Hinsdale is richer...

Old 08-29-2022, 03:40 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post

People from Brockton, Lowell, Worcester claim they from Boston because close to it and cool points.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
I have no desire to hear what little unknown town/suburb you're from. When I'm asking where you're from, or grew up, I'm basically asking you to name a place I know where it is... so, give me your media market. That tells me something, when telling me you're from Hammond, Indiana, doesn't.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
No one cares about the suburb you're from. They want to know the general area.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:55 PM

899 posts, read 671,964 times
I used to live in Irving, Texas. Texas is a very big place. In fact if it were a country (again) it would be the 39th largest in the world. So I told people I was from its neighbor, Dallas, or included its other neighbor and said Dallas-Fort Worth. The Dallas Cowboys used to play in Irving, in fact. Now they're in Arlington.

People may know Dallas is in the northern part of the state. El Paso? Far west, bordering Mexico, has mountains. Amarillo? Panhandle, very flat and windy. Houston? Gulf, humid, no zoning laws. Austin? Hill country, lots of people with German background. San Antonio? Booming, Alamo, Tex Mex and German.

https://www.newgeography.com/content...t-inside-texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.