Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 07:38 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,995,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I have heard DMV. I've only heard the capital region for Albany before, though I wouldn't be surprised at multiple places with the nickname.

I do wonder what would be a spiffy name for the region that *does* include Baltimore though as the larger CSA. I guess it could still be the DMV with Baltimore in Maryland, but I wonder if there's anything else that would give some kind of nod to Baltimore rather than just inheriting the DC term.
No, Baltimore isn't the DMV. That name always sounded silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 09:06 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,614,148 times
"Chicagoland" has been in common use for nearly a century.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:14 PM

544 posts, read 562,269 times
In Alabama, the Florence-Muscle Shoals Metro region is "the Shoals," and the Montgomery area is "the River Region." The Auburn metro is part of the Columbus, GA CSA which is the "Chattahoochee Valley".

Mobile CSA might as well be called the "Mobile Bay" because it basically the same thing. That said if you want to avoid using the city name altogether (even though it's the Bay's name), then "the Azalea Bay" could possibly work (I'd want to say "the Bay of Jubilee," but that'd be a more relatively rare reference.).

Similarly, the geological area around Birmingham is called the "Birmingham District" which is slightly more interesting than "Greater Birmingham" or "Central Alabama." Tuscaloosa and Anniston are often included in the region (both are pretty close by, and are in the same television market). A name for the area as whole could be "The Steel Ridges" or "The Hammer Hills."

Huntsville notes itself as part of the Tennessee Valley, but that's a large region in actuality. I'd either steal one of Decatur's nicknames to use for the region ("Heart of the Valley") or do something cheesy with hint of rockets like "Horizon Arsenal."

The only other multi-county metro is Dothan down in the wiregrass. I'd probably just call them either "Goober Central" as a hokey name due to all the peanut love, or "Chopper Wire" for all the military helicopter training.

Also, of note, there are a bunch of small metros and micropolitan areas in the northwest of Alabama: Gadsden, Albertville, Fort Payne and Scottsboro. While only Fort Payne and Scottsboro are technically in a CSA, there is some connection in the region. It could probably be called "Sand Mountain" after the big plateau that goes the area. Though a lot of the towns aren't technically on it and people might nitpick about it.

Old 08-31-2022, 06:19 AM

810 posts, read 472,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Some places already have spiffy names like the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex, often referred to as just the Metroplex.

Others have such a large main city that they go by just some addition to the main city like Greater Houston or Chicagoland.

Some are named after geographical parts like the Delaware Valley (Philadelphia, though I think this isn't that commonly used) or the San Francisco Bay Area (often just shortened as the Bay Area).

Some use more man-made geographical areas like the Tri-State Area (NYC, though the CSA has bled into parts of Pennsylvania, so it's more of a quad state now).

What are some good ones that I'm missing? Also, what should we do with new CSAs that don't have a joint name yet?

I'm thinking especially about Washington DC-Baltimore which doesn't really roll off the tongue and will likely get steadily much more integrated as a metropolitan area over the course of this decade. What's a good name for that?

Feel free to nominate names for such as well as nominate new CSAs or other conurbations that are yet to have a distinctive name.

If we get a lot of suggestions, perhaps I'll open up a poll to vote on in a subsequent topic.
Re: NYC - It will likely still remain the Tri-State area in nomenclature even though a few PA counties are part of the exurban component of the CSA. CT, NJ, and NY work closely together and even try to harmonize their state laws sometimes to support the Metro NYC economy that they so heavily rely on (e.g. cannabis legalization, transportation).

This impacts how supply chains are structured. I don't see PA (as a state) taking those steps as actively as the other three...at least not yet given the make up of its legislature.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:19 AM

1,208 posts, read 803,050 times
Then there's LA.

Metro LA I believe is the term usually used to referred to areas covered by LA MSA, i.e. LA County + Orange County and perhaps including Ventura County, "Inland Empire" = the heavily populated part of San Bernardino and Riverside County (i.e. while a place like Palm Springs is technically in that MSA, I don't think people call that part of Inland Empire).

Greater LA I believe is the term that encompassed both.

Then add in San Diego MSA and you have SoCal...

But of course, people throw around term "Being from O.C." also just to separate themselves from LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
The "M" in DMV is almost explicitly used to refer to the MD areas inside the Beltway. Anything north of that zone and 9/10 people are going to associate themselves with their county rather than the "DMV".

Any name for the greater region is just referred to as the "DC-Baltimore region". Nothing more, nothing less.
DMV definitely includes all of MoCo and PGC, at least the urbanized part. Technically it includes Frederick Co or Charles Co also. The former probably say they are in FredCo while the latter depends on which part of Charles Co. Somebody in Waldorf may still say they are in DMV but not so much in the more rural part of the county.

But yeah, somebody from Bethesda may not say they live in MoCo, but somebody in Rockville or Gaithersburg definitely do. Now, somebody from South Rockville...I mean "North Bethesda" I've no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Seattle area is Puget Sound.

"Willamette Valley" is used for the Portland area. The valley extends far beyond the suburban outskirts and covers a lot of farmland extending as far south as Lane County (Eugene), but Eugene has a similar energy to Portland in a lot of ways (certainly more than Roseburg or Grants Pass to the south) and the rest of those counties are all in Portland's large MSA/CSA.

---------

As for our own names: the Indianapolis region, ringed by I-465, could be the "Forcefield", from "four sixty-five".

The Miami region could be the "Streak", as a reference to the long, thin shape of the urban development along the coast, as well as a fun beach activity. Alternately, the "Strand", German for beach.

I guess the Oklahoma City region could be the "Oakwoods", from the first syllable of the city/state and to remind the rest of the country for tourism purposes that the region does have forests.
For Indy I've only heard the term "Central Indiana".

At least there's definitely not as strong of a distinction of "Inside the Perimeter"/"Outside the Perimeter" similar to Atlanta.

Last edited by ion475; 08-31-2022 at 07:31 AM..

Old 08-31-2022, 07:59 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Then there's LA.

Metro LA I believe is the term usually used to referred to areas covered by LA MSA, i.e. LA County + Orange County and perhaps including Ventura County, "Inland Empire" = the heavily populated part of San Bernardino and Riverside County (i.e. while a place like Palm Springs is technically in that MSA, I don't think people call that part of Inland Empire).

Greater LA I believe is the term that encompassed both.
The Southland and/or LA Basin are frequently used terms by locals to describe the entire area.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Southland and/or LA Basin are frequently used terms by locals to describe the entire area.
I'm not from LA so perhaps that's why I never heard of "Southland". LA Basin I've heard of myself, though, and that definitely distinguish the Inland Empire part of the basin with Coachella Valley (aka Palm Springs) or even Victorville area (part of San Bernardino County but I don't think most people call that part of Inland Empire).

===========
Another one that just pops up in my mind - Hartford CT and Springfield MA. While not officially a CSA the two are definitely sometimes combined. I've seen terms like "Knowledge Corridor", but do people even use that term outside of that partnership between the two?

Old 08-31-2022, 09:56 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
I'm not from LA so perhaps that's why I never heard of "Southland".
I used to hear it a lot on the news and radio when I went to college in LA. "The Southland's #1" this or that. Now that I think about it, people don't say it as much as just SoCal.

Anyhow, I found it among regional nicknames here too...
Nicknames for Los Angeles, California

Old 08-31-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Re: NYC - It will likely still remain the Tri-State area in nomenclature even though a few PA counties are part of the exurban component of the CSA. CT, NJ, and NY work closely together and even try to harmonize their state laws sometimes to support the Metro NYC economy that they so heavily rely on (e.g. cannabis legalization, transportation).

This impacts how supply chains are structured. I don't see PA (as a state) taking those steps as actively as the other three...at least not yet given the make up of its legislature.
Just saw this but Pike County PA is just WAY too small for anyone to really care about whether it's in NYC metro or not according to Census Bureau. In another word, "Tri-state" is here to stay.

This is like including West Virginia into the "DMV" (as in DC-Maryland-Virginia) lingo just b/c of Jefferson County, WV being in DC MSA per Census Bureau, as much as the Eastern WV Panhandle being closer to Shenandoah Valley than the rest of the state.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,192,238 times
Is the point of this thread to come up with names, or share interesting names that already exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.