Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 03:36 PM

37,264 posts, read 39,548,524 times

Advertisements

Some places already have spiffy names like the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex, often referred to as just the Metroplex.

Others have such a large main city that they go by just some addition to the main city like Greater Houston or Chicagoland.

Some are named after geographical parts like the Delaware Valley (Philadelphia, though I think this isn't that commonly used) or the San Francisco Bay Area (often just shortened as the Bay Area).

Some use more man-made geographical areas like the Tri-State Area (NYC, though the CSA has bled into parts of Pennsylvania, so it's more of a quad state now).

What are some good ones that I'm missing? Also, what should we do with new CSAs that don't have a joint name yet?

I'm thinking especially about Washington DC-Baltimore which doesn't really roll off the tongue and will likely get steadily much more integrated as a metropolitan area over the course of this decade. What's a good name for that?

Feel free to nominate names for such as well as nominate new CSAs or other conurbations that are yet to have a distinctive name.

If we get a lot of suggestions, perhaps I'll open up a poll to vote on in a subsequent topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 03:42 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,536,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm thinking especially about Washington DC-Baltimore which doesn't really roll off the tongue and will likely get steadily much more integrated as a metropolitan area over the course of this decade. What's a good name for that?

Feel free to nominate names for such as well as nominate new CSAs or other conurbations that are yet to have a distinctive name.

If we get a lot of suggestions, perhaps I'll open up a poll to vote on in a subsequent topic.

Around DC is known as the DMV. D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. Which, correct if me I wrong, is growing more and more to include Baltimore.

As an alternative, I always liked the Capital Region nickname.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:43 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,100,295 times
For the Washington metro area a popular term now is the DMV. That doesn't include Baltimore.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Around DC is known as the DMV. D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. Which, correct if me I wrong, is growing more and more to include Baltimore.

The Albany, NY metro area has been long known as the Capital Region or the Capital District too.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:17 PM

3,308 posts, read 8,570,566 times
In North Carolina, you have the Triangle or also known as the Research Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, etc.) and the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point). Charlotte metro is known as Metrolina. People from outside NC sometimes confuse the Triangle from the Triad. I could see how that might be an issue. LOL

I grew up in the "DMV" - Northern Virginia to be more specific - although when I moved to NC in 2006, DMV was not really a term yet. It seems to have become popular over the last 10 years or so.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:22 PM

37,264 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
For the Washington metro area a popular term now is the DMV. That doesn't include Baltimore.
I have heard DMV. I've only heard the capital region for Albany before, though I wouldn't be surprised at multiple places with the nickname.

I do wonder what would be a spiffy name for the region that *does* include Baltimore though as the larger CSA. I guess it could still be the DMV with Baltimore in Maryland, but I wonder if there's anything else that would give some kind of nod to Baltimore rather than just inheriting the DC term.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:34 PM

6,402 posts, read 5,042,459 times
Seattle area is Puget Sound.

"Willamette Valley" is used for the Portland area. The valley extends far beyond the suburban outskirts and covers a lot of farmland extending as far south as Lane County (Eugene), but Eugene has a similar energy to Portland in a lot of ways (certainly more than Roseburg or Grants Pass to the south) and the rest of those counties are all in Portland's large MSA/CSA.

---------

As for our own names: the Indianapolis region, ringed by I-465, could be the "Forcefield", from "four sixty-five".

The Miami region could be the "Streak", as a reference to the long, thin shape of the urban development along the coast, as well as a fun beach activity. Alternately, the "Strand", German for beach.

I guess the Oklahoma City region could be the "Oakwoods", from the first syllable of the city/state and to remind the rest of the country for tourism purposes that the region does have forests.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,366,433 times
Denver's region is the Front Range.

I can't take credit for Pontraplex but it fits the New Orleans and Baton Rouge areas, which surround Lake Pontchartrain.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I have heard DMV. I've only heard the capital region for Albany before, though I wouldn't be surprised at multiple places with the nickname.

I do wonder what would be a spiffy name for the region that *does* include Baltimore though as the larger CSA. I guess it could still be the DMV with Baltimore in Maryland, but I wonder if there's anything else that would give some kind of nod to Baltimore rather than just inheriting the DC term.
The Big Crab Cake

Old 08-30-2022, 05:28 PM

3,557 posts, read 2,354,054 times
Quote:

The "M" in DMV is almost explicitly used to refer to the MD areas inside the Beltway. Anything north of that zone and 9/10 people are going to associate themselves with their county rather than the "DMV".

Any name for the greater region is just referred to as the "DC-Baltimore region". Nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.