Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times

Advertisements

Some cities have great fans in 1 or 2 sports. Take NYC. Great baseball fans, Good football fans, mediocre basketball and hockey fans. How can you call NY a great sports town based on that?

The great sports towns are cities that have a great following and live and die with (ALL) of their teams.

1. Philly (Rain, sleet, snow, these fans support their teams in a manaical way)
2. Boston (Teams in Bahston are doing well, so the fans are out)

The rest are a distant 3 thru 5. Dallas?? Come on. Only the cowpies have a great following in Texas.

3. Pittsburgh (For its size, it is a great town for sports)
4. Chicago (Cubs fans are a cult. The Bulls and Blackhawksfans are luke warm. For a city of its size, the bears have the smallest stadium in the league which is an embarrassment.)
5. St. Louis (Great baseball, mediocre football fans, no basketball)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
The rest are a distant 3 thru 5. Dallas?? Come on. Only the cowpies have a great following in Texas.
Oh really? Care to back that up with facts? I can attest to the many Cowboy fans IN the Washington area. I can attest to the many Cowboy fans throughout the South. I can attest to the many Cowboy fans in California and is the 3rd most popular team behind the Raiders and Niners in that state. I can attest to how Cowboy games pull in high ratings and Cowboy fans have a large contingent of fans in stadiums throughout the league. Only a bias and obviously jealous redskin fan would even say that they only have a great following in Texas. I bet you this. There are more Cowboy fans rather bandwagon or not than Redskin fans.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
5. St. Louis (Great baseball, mediocre football fans, no basketball)
No basketball doesn't mean it's not a good sports town.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:18 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
The Cowboys are universally reviled outside of Texas. Even the name "Cowboys" evokes this hick image that is despicable to most people in the north. The (Dead)skins are also loathed by many, simply because of their disgustingly racist mascot.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
The As sold out the entire series this weekend.
Not be a jerk, because I agree the bay area is a good sports town, but the only reason that series was sold out was because it was against the red sox. And selling out a series isn't very impressive considering the team you were playing has sold out every home game for over 5 years.

But I guess I am being unnessesary since nobody here is arguing that Boston isn't in the top.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
I don't think LA should be listed among the worst sports cities. It's a fine sports town.

Quote:
This is not just based on the quality of the teams, but on the quality of the staduims, the atmosphere in the stands, and the devotion of the fans.

Mine

Best
1.Boston
2.Cleveland
3.Chicago
4.New York
5.Green Bay
6.The Bay Area
7.Detroit
8.Pittsburg
9.Atlanta
10.Dallas

Worst:
1.Miami
2.San Diego
3.Seattle
4.Tampa
5.Los Angelas

Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The Cowboys are universally reviled outside of Texas. Even the name "Cowboys" evokes this hick image that is despicable to most people in the north. The (Dead)skins are also loathed by many, simply because of their disgustingly racist mascot.

Yeah. I guess that's why the cowboys are called America's team and are the richest football club in the country. If you gonna be biased and talk ****, at least pretend to know what your talking about. And as a person who is 25% Native American, i've never bought that "racist" tripe and neither do most of us. And a your a filthy hypocrate, saying that the redskins are racist but saying that Teaxans are rednecks. I'm sorry people downm here in San Fran and in Dallas actually support their sports teams, unlike Seattle. Do everyone in the north a favor, and SHUT THE **** up.

Last edited by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008; 05-27-2008 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Oh he's a Seahawk fan? I chalk that up to jealousy. Until they win something of any sort, they are irrelevant.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Yeah. I guess that's why the cowboys are called America's team and are the richest football club in the country. If you gonna be biased and talk ****, at least pretend to know what your talking about. And as a person who is 25% Native American, i've never bought that "racist" tripe and neither do most of us. And a your a filthy hypocrate, saying that the redskins are racist but saying that Teaxans are rednecks. I'm sorry people downm here in San Fran and in Dallas actually support their sports teams, unlike Seattle. Do everyone in the north a favor, and SHUT THE **** up.
The Cowboys are dubbed "America's Team" because of a 1978 NFL Films documentary. It is a sham monikor to match their sham fanbase. Looking at all those fans in cowboy hats makes me want to puke. It doesn't matter if they are the richest team(which is almost a non-sequiter; Compare Paul Allen to Jerry Jones), there is a thing called the Salary Cap. Which, by the way, was implemented after their championships of the 90's. Notice they haven't done anything during the salaray cap era. Except choke in the first round.

And you are right, we don't support our teams here. That's why the Seahawks have the best home field advantage in the league. The Rangers and Mavericks are afterthoughts, as are the Warriors and Athletics.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
No basketball doesn't mean it's not a good sports town.

I agree. Does anyone really care about the NBA anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.