Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 04:15 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times

Advertisements

I live in Jersey City, my office is in Midtown Manhattan, but I'm still only going to the office 2-3 days a week. I'll add a weekend or weekday evening leisure trip to the city each week, so make it 3-4x per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 04:25 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
what do we define as Downtown DC? Is Navy Yard / SW considered downtown? Then if so I head to downtown more often than once a week.

All these areas run together in DC now so I don’t think it really matters for DC. Whether you’re in Union Market, NOMA, Navy Yard, Buzzard Point, The Wharf, Penn Quarter, Mt. Vernon Triangle, Foggy Bottom, Dupont Circle, Golden Triangle, Logan Circle, Northwest One, or H Street/Union Station, everything runs together in 2022. It’s all part of the urban core making one really large continuous area.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:06 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
All these areas run together in DC now so I don’t think it really matters for DC. Whether you’re in Union Market, NOMA, Navy Yard, Buzzard Point, The Wharf, Penn Quarter, Mt. Vernon Triangle, Foggy Bottom, Dupont Circle, Golden Triangle, Logan Circle, Northwest One, or H Street/Union Station, everything runs together in 2022. It’s all part of the urban core making one really large continuous area.
I guess I don't really think of all those areas as "downtown" per se. If all these are downtown then i'm in downtown DC often.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't really think of all those areas as "downtown" per se. If all these are downtown then i'm in downtown DC often.
Yeah, I don’t really think of any neighborhoods in DC being downtown. DC’s development intensity operates more like Manhattan than any other city in America at street level. Obviously not the height of buildings or vibrancy, but high-rises versus rowhouses. It’s just really big and sprawling. Whether walking, riding a bike, or driving, it’s just really big. Even taking the train is similar when it comes to how long you’re under downtown development intensity. It doesn’t matter what metro station you get off in those areas, they feel pretty much the same. One huge area.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:34 PM

676 posts, read 493,155 times
I pass through Downtown Greensboro pretty much every single day.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:32 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times
I live in Long Island City, Queens. Don't go to lower Manhattan that often.

Maybe twice a month.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:11 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
what do we define as Downtown DC? Is Navy Yard / SW considered downtown? Then if so I head to downtown more often than once a week.

I'd consider any of the built-up urban commercial areas in central D.C. 'downtown' for the purpose of this question even if it's technically outside the area commonly called downtown in D.C.

I feel like if someone in NYC headed to midtown Manhattan, it'd still count for the purpose of this question as well.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:30 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I'd consider any of the built-up urban commercial areas in central D.C. 'downtown' for the purpose of this question even if it's technically outside the area commonly called downtown in D.C.

I feel like if someone in NYC headed to midtown Manhattan, it'd still count for the purpose of this question as well.
Agreed. I think anywhere in Manhattan below 60th St should count.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:33 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Probably 5x weekly. My office is downtown (going in about 3x per week) and it takes <10 minutes to get downtown via the subway from where I am, so we're there quite a bit at night and on the weekends.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas vincit View Post
i'd consider any of the built-up urban commercial areas in central d.c. 'downtown' for the purpose of this question even if it's technically outside the area commonly called downtown in d.c.

I feel like if someone in nyc headed to midtown manhattan, it'd still count for the purpose of this question as well.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.