Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 04:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,096,095 times

Advertisements

I live downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 04:05 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,329,254 times
Downtown Atlanta - I would say just short of... never. It actually bothers me to admit since I’ve always been a city person, but the core of this city is just unappealing. When I first came down pre-pandemic I spent a lot of time exploring Atlanta on foot, riding MARTA, just getting to know the area. Downtown was pretty much the least impressive of any urban neighborhood. Outside of a few touristy pockets near Coca-Cola, Centennial Olympic Park and the aquarium, the downtown area is a great example of urban blight. Vacant storefronts, check cashing places, camps of homeless, panhandlers everywhere. Safety feels iffy too. Very 9-5. Empty after dark. It’s sad because Atlanta definitely has the means to support a healthy downtown, but it has been abandoned, left for dead in favor of propping up Midtown and Buckhead.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:24 PM

21,917 posts, read 13,004,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I live downtown.
I do, too. But I never do anything here, LOL.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:58 PM

545 posts, read 397,275 times
I live in St. Louis Country (small close in suburb) of St. Louis City. I go into the core downtown area of St. Louis at least twice a month.

I love our world class zoo and visit about six times a year (I can leave my house, park, and be there in about a half hour). I go to our Science Center for most of the traveling exhibitions that come to town. Their is a new exhibition called becoming Jane about Jane Goodall that is super interactive and has gotten great reviews that I'm planning to go see on Sunday (just a 1/2 hour drive to get there for me). I like traveling Broadway style shows and concerts that come to to city. I just got tickets for the traveling show of Les Miserable. It's a favorite of DH and me. We go to some special events with the St. Louis symphony too. We're going to watch the movie Jurassic Park at the Powel Hall where the Symphony plays next month with the Symphony playing to score live at their downtown concert hall, Powell Hall. We'll also go to the Symphony Christmas concert. I went to an RV show earlier in the year at the convention center, had brunch with alumni and the president of my Alma Mater in March when the school (six hours away) was in town for a basketball tournament. I've been in the city to visit the botanical gardens twice this year too and just last month went downtown for a Greek festival just because I was in the mood to eat a really good euro.

There are great parks, theatre, and events in the county too that I love. But I do get downtown for fun and recreation a lot. My son who lives in the county 20 minutes away from me works at the Gateway Arch, so commutes to the core downtown for work. I worked downtown for several year too, but for most of my career have worked in the county. Now I am full time WFH.

I love being in a metro area of one million or more due to all the great cultural activities and definitely enjoy taking advantage of those.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:14 PM

12,174 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I live just about 12 blocks south of downtown Brooklyn, and go there about every other day.

I make it into Manhattan about 2-3 times per week, so pretty often.

And when I'm in Manhattan, it's usually the west village, union square, flatiron, chelsea, east village, tribeca, penn station area or alphabet city.
Park Slope!

Old 10-13-2022, 09:20 PM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times
I get to Midtown maybe on average once every two weeks? It's not evenly distributed though. I go there randomly for work like client meetings, more often to go eat or go out, occasionally for events or going to a museum, and sometimes to take trains whether Penn Station or Grand Central.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:35 PM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
I live right in the heart of downtown Lynchburg, VA so everyday lol. I probably drive once a week if that. In fact my condo lies on a downtown pedestrian zone and does not have parking on-site (except for bike racks). Construction like that was made possible when the city revised its zoning code to eliminate parking minimums in the CBD in 2014. When I want to get away for a day I take the train to Charlottesville or Roanoke which is a mile away to the train station from where I live and really convenient/affordable. Otherwise I am pretty content staying in the downtown area and riding my bike around on the extend mulit-use trail network.

That sounds pretty awesome. What would you recommend for someone coming by train (maybe with a folding bike) to Lynchburg for a long weekend?

Old 10-13-2022, 10:14 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,427,565 times
I live in Seattle and go into the urban core close to weekly. “Downtown Seattle” is a small portion of the larger urban center in Seattle. But we often take our kids to Pike Place Market, the aquarium, SLU park with the wooden boats and Seattle Center stuff like the Science Center, concerts, ballet, food festivals and IMAX. Once the waterfront renovations are complete, it will be even better. If you know the places to avoid, Seattle has a very vibrant urban core with a lot to do for a city of its size.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:03 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,798,653 times
Almost never.

I think I went maybe half a dozen times in the past couple of years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.