Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 05:21 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,788,447 times

Advertisements

Albany (metro Albany) might fit your needs in the Northeast -- if you don't mind snow, which is heavy some winters. Hot summers, glorious springs and falls. A good regional airport with flights to hubs at NYC, BOS, Montreal. Plenty of outdoor activity. Area has farmers markets in season, and universities add a dollop of culture to the region's commercial offerings, Plus Saratoga is near by. Even being the state capital, I found the city's vibe is relatively moderate both politically and sociallly, growing more conservative/libertarian outside the city. (That's where I once met the friendliest guy, who talked to me, with no anger or hostility, about government overreach--before we switched to the Yankees and the Red Sox. That's when things really got hot!) You will find a number of well-traveled folks in the area thanks to the state Flagship U in Albany and it being the capital city. And of course Albany is only a couple hours by train to NYC. (Yaaaaay!)

Maybe worth a look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 05:27 PM

12,874 posts, read 9,619,331 times
Atlanta.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:27 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,267,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
You mentioned SLC - and i actually don't think that would be a bad idea, provided you understand the religious dynamics of the city. I lived in SLC for short period of time and loved it there (i'm not LDS). The two boxes that it doesnt check is ethnic food and true art galleries (although there are some in park city)
The dating pool will suffer if you are not LDS.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:30 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,267,826 times
Orange County California.
Irvine isnt a big city but it fits your criteria. Newport Beach, Huntington Beach.
Hiking check, conservative check, airport check, highly educated check, friendly check, artsy (laguna) check.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:47 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,834,398 times
Ok, city of Richmond is really not conservative voting for President and the metro on average has not been since 2004 though with a much smaller margin than the city's blowout margin. 80% of the metro is outside the city. Do conservative pockets remain in the metro? I'd guess so. The city vs metro voting math suggests they are not rare. This OP might tend to focus on those. So I was out of date and too general with my remarks. Thanks for making me look beyond my first take. Seemed like a different story in 80s into 90s when I was in a neighboring state and an occasional visitor.

But socially conservative is still somewhat different. Is it somewhat more socially conservative than national average? It was compared to where I lived in NC back when and had a couple of friends in Richmond. But I'll step aside on that question about today. You can say more if you know more and want. It depends what you compare it to.

In the end spencer114, do you think the Richmond area or somewhere in it is worth considering for a social conservative? If yes, then we would agree. If no, maybe say why.

Is Richmond metro more conservative than DC metro? I'd guess so but locals weigh in. Is it more socially conservative than Norfolk / VA Beach metro? Look for local opinions or judge personally with comparative visits. It may depend what neighborhoods you visit, what catches your eye and ear.

Degree of religious affiliation is one measure of social conservatism. Richmond city is moderately more self-identified religiously affiliated than national average by the best religion survey. Richmond metro, mildly less. Similar to DC metro. Norfolk / Virginia Beach metro moderately less than that. But all higher than say inner Puget Sound.

DC leads on % with 4 year degrees among these 3 nearby metros. Norfolk / VA Beach only half as high but still decent. DC with most between 35-44 yrs old. Norfolk least. Richmond in between on both.

Identify as libertarian, non-church affiliated, you will find some similars with work (if that is important) but not as easily as those aligned with bigger groups.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-12-2022 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-12-2022, 06:58 PM

2,364 posts, read 2,321,467 times
Indianapolis would be a pretty good fit. Nowhere is going to be a perfect fit based on your criteria, but it comes closer than most places. Greenville, SC could also work well.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:16 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,064,004 times
Check out Spokane WA

Old 09-12-2022, 09:01 PM

6,828 posts, read 4,280,871 times
Foreign-born means what exactly? You could be an army brat born on base in South Korea or Italy and it'd mean something very different than being an immigrant. And being an immigrant from say Poland is different than being one from Honduras or the Philippines or Pakistan. "Foreign-born" is a pretty broad brush.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:50 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,084,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Orange County California.
Irvine isnt a big city but it fits your criteria. Newport Beach, Huntington Beach.
Hiking check, conservative check, airport check, highly educated check, friendly check, artsy (laguna) check.
I agree.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:57 AM

34 posts, read 52,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Foreign-born means what exactly? You could be an army brat born on base in South Korea or Italy and it'd mean something very different than being an immigrant. And being an immigrant from say Poland is different than being one from Honduras or the Philippines or Pakistan. "Foreign-born" is a pretty broad brush.

I am not obliged to reveal who I am, lol. I am merely asking for advice and I do not necessarily need to be in the city/town where majority of "my people group" are. No I do not participate in that kinds of groupthink. My point being is that I hold conservative values due to born overseas (majority of them are ), that was all. I know saying that as an American bear a negative light and stereotype in public forum,which is a shame that Americans are so torn apart by media and few elites at the top.

Let's face it that half (or 60-70%) of the silent Americans have felt extremely targeted and scrutinized by invisible labels placed on them. The squeaky wheel is at speed dial right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.