Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 01:41 PM

34 posts, read 53,336 times

Advertisements

I've recently relocated to a medium sized southern town for a job. It was exactly what I thought it would be socially and I am living somewhat of a secluded lonely life until I accumulate enough savings and work experience to move on.

Here I (mid 30s, foreign born professional woman, never married, no kid, and loves travelling) am appealing to the whole wide world for your recommendation on where in the US would fit me:

My ideal place is, and the priority goes with the order:

- some possibility for me to meet high quality cultural single man between mid 30s to early 50s either by dating app or organically at social settings
- Overall conservative social values in the population and friendly people in general. People talk to strangers and not feeling strange.
- well-traveled people (internally in the US or abroad). Some foreign culture exposure either from military assignment, travel, business or education.
- wide variety of ethnic cuisine restaurants/ ethnic grocery store (within an hour drive)
- temperate seasons ( NOT >100+ and humid during summer, don't mind winter that drops down between 30s and 40s)
- airport within hour drive (preferably a hub that have direct flight to most other metro cities, but not a high priority)
- hiking opportunities ( Doesn't mind either lowland or highland pine forests)
- some art galleries/ museums/ farmer market/ art and craft bazaar during summer
- average median housing cost (least priority)

Notice that I haven't talked about work opportunity because I am in IT and it is not a concern for me.I've been training myself in skills that help me looking for remote work.

These are the places been suggested to me, but I am curious to hear if there is other for consideration.

- Hampton Road/ Norfolk/ VA beach area
- Southern NH area (have heard about the libertarian hub movement moving to NH)
- Salt Lake City
- Tampa/ St. Pete area ( not sure about the hot and humid almost all year round)
What about anywhere in the northwest or northeast corners which are the area I have not been/visited yet?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 02:04 PM

8,528 posts, read 8,933,663 times
What about Annapolis Maryland, or other moderate to conservative suburb of DC?

You probably have better chance to find the kind of man you say you want in DC metro than Norfolk / Virginia Beach metro area but in either case it will be more about the intensity and realism of search. Might be perceived differences in "cultured" and "friendly" between the metros. You may have to pick the higher virtue.

Salt Lake City... I dunno. There are Mormons and liberal professionals, probably conservative, non-Mormon professionals too. Would you only look in latter dating pool? Better find the right spots to look. Friendly? Friendliness found is often the result of friendliness given.

Southern New Hampshire? Might work. Ever visit? If not take the trip asap. "Friendly people"? Friendly libertarians? You decide.

Whether you want / "need" kids will greatly influence your search. Where, speed, who's really available...

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-12-2022 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-12-2022, 02:07 PM

6,454 posts, read 5,128,180 times
Somewhere in the NW to look into would be Pierce County, WA, home of Mt. Rainier and the city of Tacoma, and 40 minutes south of Seattle.

Big military base there (Ft. Lewis-McChord), so you can meet people who are fairly well traveled. The weather in Washington and Oregon west of the Cascade Mountains fits your description: rarely gets over 85 degrees in the summer or below 30 in the winter. The winters are mostly rainy and the summers are pleasant and non-humid. Politics are fairly moderate for the US (not sure what country you're coming from, but "conservative" in the US is not European conservative). Lots of ethnic diversity in the Tacoma/south Seattle suburbs area, especially Southeast Asian, Hispanic, and East African.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:17 PM

5,534 posts, read 8,826,361 times
You say you want a place with overall conservative social values.

What does that mean to you if you're excluding politics (and I'm assuming you are, but correct me if I'm wrong.) It would help posters here give you a better response. Does this mean a place where church-going is strong, where weed is still illegal, where a lot of the kids are home-schooled, where gun laws are lax -- help us out here with YOUR definition of conservative social values.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:19 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,675,190 times
You mentioned SLC - and i actually don't think that would be a bad idea, provided you understand the religious dynamics of the city. I lived in SLC for short period of time and loved it there (i'm not LDS). The two boxes that it doesnt check is ethnic food and true art galleries (although there are some in park city)

Old 09-12-2022, 02:22 PM

3,494 posts, read 1,783,209 times
San Diego

Old 09-12-2022, 02:22 PM

Been to Puget Sound area? If not, book a trip. Can look in Pierce County, King County eastside, northern suburbs.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:34 PM

34 posts, read 53,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You say you want a place with overall conservative social values.

What does that mean to you if you're excluding politics (and I'm assuming you are, but correct me if I'm wrong.) It would help posters here give you a better response. Does this mean a place where church-going is strong, where weed is still illegal, where a lot of the kids are home-schooled, where gun laws are lax -- help us out here with YOUR definition of conservative social values.
You are right about the conservative in the US is not the same as anywhere else in the world. I'd identify somewhat of a mixture of libertarian (less gov. involvement, let market decide and personal liberty) . On the other hand, I don't want to see rampant homeless everywhere as if it is not an issue, and high crime rate. Conservative values are more of less of fairly conservative gender roles, rewarding hard work and merit based. Do not wish to have the LGBT pronoun/ or whatever left movement dump to everyone's throat all the time.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:40 PM

Want conservative? Look in Richmond VA. Not all conservative but more so than most.

Old 09-12-2022, 04:33 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,701,377 times
Richmond isn’t conservative. Get outta here with that nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.