Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 08:18 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,299,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This^^. Denver and Austin have Cali looks/vibes/feels, in some parts.

Also, and some folks might be surprised, but Nashville and to some extent, Chattanooga, have a lot of certain Cali vibes, in both house (newer) look and feel, the hills in each city and so many Californians relocating.
"California Vibes" are downstream of cosmic natural phenomenon and they cannot be replicated.

The fusion, like a chemical reaction of raw, unadulterated natural wonders of the world with massive, modern urban areas in a perfect climate by the sea.

A tattooed guy with a goatee kicking around a hackeysack at a craft beer joint that serves dog food in Austin or Denver doesn't quite get you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 08:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I agree with this. There’s not really a singular “cali vibe” imo as there are so many places in that state that feel so different.
Yeah, I'd love to see someone try to define that. A poster upthread mentioned "hippy/weird"...well maybe in 1970 but there are very few people like that in Orange County nowadays, but we're definitely Californians.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:50 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I think people really downplay how Texan Austin is because it leans left and has tech. It has UT, Longhorns Football, BBQ, TX hill country and blackland prairie landscape, Texas like suburbs and infrastructure, the state capitol, taco trucks, Tex-Mex. I could go on and on but Austin is a Texan city and doesn’t really remind me much of California other than tech (and I like it that way). Even the liberalness in Austin has a Texan feel to it (Austin isn’t the only left leaning area in Tx). Also most of the transplants in the city are not from California but from Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. I’d be willing to argue that Collin County gives me more of a California vibe than any other place in the state as it seems similar to Orange County without the beautiful scenery.
Austin is kind of dry and very hilly, lots of sage brush. It looks like OC in some ways. It's also not just left leaning. I think Biden got like 70% of Travis county votes, no not just Austin the county vote. Austin voting was closer to Portland than it was Harris County. Only the Triangle area in NC is more liberal.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:06 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Washington State also feels very Northern Cali to me in its vibe. Also a good amount of Cali transplants there too.
IMO, SF and Seattle don't feel that similar. It's a lot of things but a big one is that SF is so much more Asian/Chinese, like over the entire city. And the city has a much longer history and stronger urban bones.

Berkeley does feel a lot like Seattle though. And I get an Eastside vibe in a lot of the San Jose/Santa Clara Co. area.

The more inland areas of both states are the most similar imo. Oroville, Chico, Yuba City feel very eastern WA.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Austin is a good answer. So is Portland and Seattle. Denver may be in the mix

Old 09-30-2022, 11:03 PM

835 posts, read 455,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin is kind of dry and very hilly, lots of sage brush. It looks like OC in some ways. It's also not just left leaning. I think Biden got like 70% of Travis county votes, no not just Austin the county vote. Austin voting was closer to Portland than it was Harris County. Only the Triangle area in NC is more liberal.
It’s rainier than the major California cities for sure. It’s rainfall is pretty similar to Dallas and San Antonio. The eastern half of Austin sits in the same blackland prairie landscape as Dallas and San Antonio. The west side sits in the TX hill country which is unquestionably a Texan landscape not a California one. San Antonio shares this too. Also going by county size isn’t a good indicator when comparing Austin to Houston. Sure Austin is more liberal but not so much more liberal as the county margins would suggest. Harris county is enormous and the far exburban and suburban votes heavily dilute how liberal Houston is. Either way Austin is definitely more Texan in feel and not Californian.

I think the best choices are Phoenix (similar to Inland Empire) and Vegas. Even the PNW major cities feels different from California and has their own vibe.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:42 AM

158 posts, read 168,293 times
If I squint I see the palm trees, the ocean to the west, laid back feel, what about the Pinellas Peninsula in FL?

Old 10-01-2022, 12:45 AM

295 posts, read 355,867 times
Las Vegas.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:27 AM

22 posts, read 36,173 times
Depends on what you mean by "California vibe," but having lived in SF, LA, and Las Vegas, I don't think Las Vegas feels anything like SF or LA, which are the quintessential Californian vibe cities. Vegas feels like a small suburban desert town once you leave the strip.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:38 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Probably South Florida on the east coast and that’s about it.
Growing up in S. Florida, the only thing we have in common with California is palm trees and beaches. Florida has more of a vibe like Jersey than California. Even the Latino culture is totally different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.