Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 06:59 AM

517 posts, read 255,976 times

Advertisements

Austin for sure. Phoenix, Vegas, Seattle, Portland as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 10:28 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
In fact, many don’t realize Vegas has a large LDS population.
12% is "large"?

Old 10-06-2022, 12:00 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,018,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
12% is "large"?
It's large for somewhere outside Utah and Idaho, yeah.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:08 PM

6,817 posts, read 4,260,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It's large for somewhere outside Utah and Idaho, yeah.

I'd wager that % is seldom above 1 in places east of the Mississippi River.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:18 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,307,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
In terms of the behavior of the people, I would say Seattle seemed the closest to me, out of the places I've been to.

I thought it would be South Florida because of the warm weather and palm trees, but when I went there, it was different. The people act different, and the beach seemed to be more like a resort with people renting umbrellas/chairs to sit in certain parts of the beach. Totally different from the California beaches I've been to.
How can the behavior of 40 million people be distilled and simplified to the point where it can be compared to one city's residents?

Old 10-06-2022, 06:50 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,018,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
How can the behavior of 40 million people be distilled and simplified to the point where it can be compared to one city's residents?
They're probably comparing Seattle to the urban inner areas of SF and/or LA (although they can correct me if I'm wrong).

Granted, those are two very different cities, so the similarities with each one would be different. SF has the tech like Seattle of course, and the large population of middle-age to older white NIMBY homeowners. LA has the punk / alternative / skater / bodymod subcultures like Seattle --- which seem remarkably absent in SF from the exploring I've done so far. All three cities have a lot of LGBTQ+ people, lots of vegans/vegetarians, and are fairly accepting of "weirdness". Overall the vibe is probably more like SF than LA, though not that similar to either imo. In particular there's a communalist, altruistic, do-gooder energy in Seattle that I don't sense in SF.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:57 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,307,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
They're probably comparing Seattle to the urban inner areas of SF and/or LA (although they can correct me if I'm wrong).

Granted, those are two very different cities, so the similarities with each one would be different. SF has the tech like Seattle of course, and the large population of middle-age to older white NIMBY homeowners. LA has the punk / alternative / skater / bodymod subcultures like Seattle --- which seem remarkably absent in SF from the exploring I've done so far. All three cities have a lot of LGBTQ+ people, lots of vegans/vegetarians, and are fairly accepting of "weirdness". Overall the vibe is probably more like SF than LA, though not that similar to either imo. In particular there's a communalist, altruistic, do-gooder energy in Seattle that I don't sense in SF.
Those would be the last places to go for a sampling of CA culture. Cities just tend to mimic other cities, and statements like "People are laid back in LA" is just broad and vague to the point of sillyness.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:08 AM

151 posts, read 88,293 times
Phoenix and Las Vegas are the obvious answers. I’d probably think SLC was somewhere in California if I didn’t know better. Very similar to Southern CA.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:49 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,082,954 times
Although it does not have a coastline or palm trees, ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA is extremely liberal, bohemian, and hippy and has craft beers, artists of all kinds, heavy cannabis use, quirky gift shops, and access to mountain hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.