Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 05:10 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,448,223 times

Advertisements

I think my question or point was not so clear, in this scenario Havre de Grace WOULD be DC, just like Georgetown IS DC.

So in this case, you feel Baltimore would not have it's own DMA and would not be as big, because in this case, 'DC' would have had a port on the bay; so Baltimore would more or less be like what Newark is to NYC?

Obviously, no doubt there would be an upper bay crossing, in fact that would have happened well before the current Route 50 crossing since people from HDG or 'DC' in this case would need quick access to the eastern shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 04:26 AM

506 posts, read 483,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I think my question or point was not so clear, in this scenario Havre de Grace WOULD be DC, just like Georgetown IS DC.

So in this case, you feel Baltimore would not have it's own DMA and would not be as big, because in this case, 'DC' would have had a port on the bay; so Baltimore would more or less be like what Newark is to NYC?

Obviously, no doubt there would be an upper bay crossing, in fact that would have happened well before the current Route 50 crossing since people from HDG or 'DC' in this case would need quick access to the eastern shore.
I think it would come down to the railroad. The opening of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad revolutionized Baltimore. The current DC tried to compete earlier by making the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, but that was mostly a failure. If there was instead a Havre de Grace/DC & Ohio Railroad, then yes, that city would have grown exponentially. Maybe not bigger than Baltimore, but possibly quite close. But because Baltimore had the better port, I think it still would have won the railroad race. I don't think the NYC-Newark comparison is good because NYC has a far, far better port than Newark, geographically speaking. But, historically speaking, it was really NYC's placement on the Hudson River that made it grow so large. It was connected to the Midwest via the Hudson and Erie Canal. Every east coast city in the early 1800s tried making a trade route to the west, first with canals, then with railroads. NYC did it first and reaped the benefits. Baltimore was the first to get over the mountains by railroad. If DC had done it first, it would possibly be the bigger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.