Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:06 PM

23 posts, read 26,868 times

Advertisements

It's October right now, I wanna know how "busy" or how "active" each state is right now. How much "stuff" each of the states has going on. And which state has the most for October. But not just that. I wanna know that for November too. And December, and all the other months.

Know what would be ideal? Some kind of map where you select a state, and it shows you a bar or line graph or something of how tourism/activity fluctuates throughout the year. For instance, Southeastern beach states (and Texas) would probably see an upward trend somewhere around Spring Break.

I know this is a tall order, but if anyone's ever heard of anything like this existing, I'd like to look at it. Or if the data exists anywhere I might just make my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 10:46 PM

8,896 posts, read 6,928,647 times
It's a hard thing to do.

Hotel nights? You miss people who stay with friends or just visit for the day.

Credit cards by people outside the area? You miss cash users, and you gain pass-throughs who just buy pancakes.

Some counts include a ton of locals, like ones that use state lines and credit cards but catch people who simply commute to work that way.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's a hard thing to do.

Hotel nights? You miss people who stay with friends or just visit for the day.

Credit cards by people outside the area? You miss cash users, and you gain pass-throughs who just buy pancakes.

Some counts include a ton of locals, like ones that use state lines and credit cards but catch people who simply commute to work that way.
What about inbound airport traffic? When does that peak and dip for each state?

Old 10-12-2022, 08:56 AM

Maybe that's mostly local residents flying back from vacations.

Inbound and outbound is typically the same people.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:13 PM

9,184 posts, read 13,288,315 times
Julian, you ask a question which I am curious about myself since I came to City-Data.

If I remember right, the Federal government had something on International tourists coming into the USA and which states they go to. Was it the Department of Commerce, the Census Bureau, I forget. But even that is limited information.

In addition to what are you asking, what time of the year tourists are coming, I am interested in which parts of each state tourists are going to.

For instance my state, New York State, is one of the bigger tourist states, much of it to New York City. But there is heavy tourism to other parts like Niagara Falls, the Adirondacks, Long Island, the Finger Lakes, etc. - so I would like to see tourism numbers broken down by county or region.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:19 PM

Customs tracks inbound visitors. But only points of entry, not where they actually visit.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Customs tracks inbound visitors. But only points of entry, not where they actually visit.
That would work, I could extrapolate where people are likely going from there.

Quote:
Maybe that's mostly local residents flying back from vacations.

Inbound and outbound is typically the same people.
What about "When are the airports busiest?" I imagine there would be spikes around the holidays, but if you factor that out you should get when the state is naturally attracting people.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:42 PM

9,184 posts, read 13,288,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Alexander View Post
That would work, I could extrapolate where people are likely going from there.

What about "When are the airports busiest?" I imagine there would be spikes around the holidays, but if you factor that out you should get when the state is naturally attracting people.
The problem with the airport data is that some of includes numbers that are more for connecting flights than in state tourism.

Just for example, some of our New York to Florida flights are routed with a brief stop in Atlanta. Why should we count New Yorkers going to Florida (or vice-versa) as tourists in Georgia when they are really just passing through?

Old 10-12-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The problem with the airport data is that some of includes numbers that are more for connecting flights than in state tourism.

Just for example, some of our New York to Florida flights are routed with a brief stop in Atlanta. Why should we count New Yorkers going to Florida (or vice-versa) as tourists in Georgia when they are really just passing through?
Ah, that probably explains why Atlanta International Airport is the busiest airport in the country. It's a layover spot.

Okay, hotel nights I think would be a good metric. It's not perfect, but I'm just looking for trends.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:31 PM

The busiest airport times can still be based on when locals are traveling more than inbound visitors.

Of course even visitors are a mix of pass-throughs (as LINative notes), business travelers, tourists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.