Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities need to be at least what population to be to have everything you need?
5,000 2 2.86%
10,000 3 4.29%
25,000 3 4.29%
50,000 4 5.71%
75,000 (e.g., Flagstaff, AZ; Rapid City, SD; Bismarck, ND; Casper, WY) 3 4.29%
100,000 (e.g., Sioux City, IA; Bellingham, WA; Lynchburg, VA) 4 5.71%
200,000 (e.g., Sioux Falls, SD; Waco, TX; Savannah, GA) 5 7.14%
300,000 (e.g., Corpus Christi, TX; Lincoln, NE; Fort Wayne, IN) 2 2.86%
500,000 (e.g., Colorado Springs, CO; Wichita, KS, Spokane, WA [whole urban area]) 3 4.29%
750,000 (e.g., Fresno [incl. Clovis], CA; Tucson, AZ; El Paso, TX) 2 2.86%
1,000,000 (e.g., Jacksonville, FL; Indianapolis, IN; Memphis, TN) 10 14.29%
1-2 million (e.g., San Diego; San Antonio; Austin [incl. suburbs]) 15 21.43%
Multi-million mega cities (e.g., Houston; Chicago; Dallas/FW; Phoenix area) 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 07:19 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Smallest place I ever lived in Tucson, and that was too small. Economy was too poor.

I have only ever lived in multi-million plus metros and that's the only way I will do it.
It may depend on what age group a person is. I lived in Tucson about half the time from late 2017 until May 2022. As a retiree, I had no need to go to the only mega metro in AZ (Phoenix). Everything I needed was available in Tucson.

If I was in a younger age group and wanted more live music venues, entertainment, bar hopping, major league sports, I can see how the appeal of a mega metro like Phoenix would stand out.

I lived in mega-metro areas of San Francisco Bay Area, Orange County CA and northern New Jersey burbs of NYC for most of my working career. I found the move to Tucson good because within a relatively short time, one could drive out of the urban area and be in unspoiled natural terrain.

I currently live in a medium sized metro area under 300K population in Germany, and it has everything I need plus very close access to forest and natural areas. One hour by train to larger cities too (Leipzig or Dresden) and 2 1/2 hours by train to mega metro (Berlin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 07:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
MSA approximately 3 million+.

I have to have access to decent healthcare so a top 20 hospital with good medical programs and a decent amount of physician per capita is a necessity.

Must have decent rapid transit. It doesn't have to be a top Metro system but useful with access to amenities like airports, shopping, schools and medical centers without a car.

Bike infrastructure must be in place or growing into something significant. I have to stay active and be able to access the city in a safe bikeable environment.

A certain level of intellectualism usually brings about a good healthy population with good healthcare not to mention a open minded community. Very good networking opportunities and ease of making friends outside of my demographic.

Walkable neighborhoods with many opportunities to live carless or at least carlight.

Good park system and or expansive greenway system.

Access to high-quality grocery stores or famers markets for obvious reasons.

Clean air!!!

Old 10-16-2022, 09:59 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelius View Post
Is it not possible that they have thought it through and simply want fewer things in their community than you do?

To use some of your examples, I personally don't care about restaurants, walkable neighborhoods, major universities, concerts, pro sports venues, museums, large urban parks, or nearby major airports. Indeed, some of those things I dislike having nearby.
Sure. You are the one who asked for others opinion.

I have kids who I like to keep stimulated and exposed to the world so my standards are going to be much different than someone who is retired or who is single, and also different from parents who like to shelter and isolate their kids as much as possible.

For me some things like level 1 trauma center, access to good pediatric and cancer care, and a large airport hub are not negotiable and I do think people who think those are superfluous haven't really thought it through. Cities that have these things tend to also have the other amenities I listed that you don't care for. Problem is, they tend to come as a package.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:36 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Large enough to be their own media market, or if they "share" like Asheville at least have one of the "big 3" and a couple of radio stations.

Airport has service full-time to more than just 1 or 2 destinations.

Props if they have a minor league Baseball and/or Hockey team, or did at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.