Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 09:23 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Yeah it's not for everyone and Seattle's charms mostly come from the neighborhoods outside downtown and for people who like outdoor recreation. I don't like Portland OR at all. I wasn't impressed by Boston either. Winter sucked, especially if you street parked, and the city was mostly old, felt old, and needed a complete remodel. Traffic bottlenecks in Boston rivaled LA (especially if you live anywhere north or south of the city), drivers are some of the worst in the country (my car insurance premiums dropped by 65% after leaving Boston) and the public transit was on par with third world countries in reliability and speed. And you really need the public transit because driving and parking were so horrendous. At least many other cities have better car transportation and parking to make up for unreliable public transit.
Yeah Boston+CT+Newport RI+NH/VT/Coastal ME w/ proximity to NYC, Jersey and DC really is a big W for me.

Seattle/Washington is good to visit, not to live, for me. Seattle is very dirty, I just didn't expect that. Especially coming from NJ.

And yeah, maybe larger cities aren't for you it sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 09:42 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Seattle/Washington is good to visit, not to live, for me. Seattle is very dirty, I just didn't expect that. Especially coming from NJ.
It is the land of grunge. Also depends on the neighborhood, many are super clean. Used to be way cleaner too before the current wave of homeless/junkie camps all along I-5 throughout the West Coast. There is also some jurisdiction issue that makes it hard for the city of Seattle to get the interstate and highway right of ways cleaned. Hopefully that will improve with more moderate leadership in both the city and the region. Peak dirty was probably between Fall 2021 and Spring 2022. It's actually getting better with the new mayor. The tide is definitely turning for more sanity.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Depends on the states. Washington state and NH have no income taxes. However WA state has high sales taxes. Property taxes in NH are ridiculously high while property tax rates in WA state is about same as MA. MA has moderate rates of sales tax and income tax.

OR has high income taxes but no sales tax. This is why all the good paying jobs are in Seattle and not Portland.

If you're a high income homeowner in Seattle, you will likely pay significantly less taxes than a high income homeowner in Boston.
New Hampshire towns all have their own property tax rate. Where I lived for a decade in Portsmouth, the mill rate is $15.03. The assessment was generally around 60% of market value so the effective mill rate was closer to $10. Where I am now in Massachusetts, the effective mill rate is around $7.50. New England typically has weak or no county government so schools and tax rates are set by the town. There are certainly places with high mill rates but you can find low property tax areas with commercial property or vacation homes that support the tax base.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:37 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Yeah it's not for everyone and Seattle's charms mostly come from the neighborhoods outside downtown and for people who like outdoor recreation. I don't like Portland OR at all. I wasn't impressed by Boston either. Winter sucked, especially if you street parked, and the city was mostly old, felt old, and needed a complete remodel. Traffic bottlenecks in Boston rivaled LA (especially if you live anywhere north or south of the city), drivers are some of the worst in the country (my car insurance premiums dropped by 65% after leaving Boston) and the public transit was on par with third world countries in reliability and speed. And you really need the public transit because driving and parking were so horrendous. At least many other cities have better car transportation and parking to make up for unreliable public transit.
Driving and parking in Boston don't seem bad to me. Even when I lived there I always was surprised at how 'not bad' parking and driving felt tin Boston. There are some bad bottle necks but it isnot as widespread as in Washington DC or LA. I don't find the drivers bad either, much worse in RI, NJ, MD. I can speak to PNW, id assume tis easier to drive and park there which might make the drivers appear better. I think MA drivers are pretty aggressive but skilled.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:34 PM

138 posts, read 73,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Heh interesting. In my opinion, most of Western Europe has superior climate to majority of the US. Humid continental might be my least favorite climate zone.
We had quite a decent climate 50 years ago. Nice winters with sometimes snow and ice, no droughts, dynamic springs, good or washout summers but always decent amount of thunderstorms, and stormy autumns. It was not amazing by any means, but really okay in the light of 4 seaons in maritime climate.

This was way before I was born, I can only remember from somewhere in the 90s onwards. That was already a transition decade, but we didn't see it immediately, but there were signs. Around 2010 we had the last decent winter.

Nowadays, we seem to have no winter at all, extremely sunny springs, extremely dry hot summers, no thunderstorms, long droughts, and boring autumns. Our climate is dead, and on weather fora people are longing to live in a Great Lakes climate, New England climate, or Hokkaido climate...

Old 11-02-2022, 01:48 PM

638 posts, read 350,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterJ View Post
We had quite a decent climate 50 years ago. Nice winters with sometimes snow and ice, no droughts, dynamic springs, good or washout summers but always decent amount of thunderstorms, and stormy autumns. It was not amazing by any means, but really okay in the light of 4 seaons in maritime climate.

This was way before I was born, I can only remember from somewhere in the 90s onwards. That was already a transition decade, but we didn't see it immediately, but there were signs. Around 2010 we had the last decent winter.

Nowadays, we seem to have no winter at all, extremely sunny springs, extremely dry hot summers, no thunderstorms, long droughts, and boring autumns. Our climate is dead, and on weather fora people are longing to live in a Great Lakes climate, New England climate, or Hokkaido climate...
Can’t expect much variability in the Netherlands. Your climate is heavily influenced by the North Sea and the country is flat with no terrain.

Old 11-02-2022, 04:12 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterJ View Post

Definitely not the case in the US. People in the US tend to prefer warmer weather. That said, the Northeast is the most rapidly warming region of the continental US, so who knows how much those preferences will shift in the future.

Last edited by nadnerb; 11-02-2022 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-02-2022, 06:01 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Definitely not the case in the US. People in the US tend to prefer warmer weather. That said, the Northeast is the most rapidly warming region of the continental US, so who knows how much those preferences will shift in the future.
It’ll be in the mid-70s this weekend in Boston. Fairly unusual for early November.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Driving and parking in Boston don't seem bad to me. Even when I lived there I always was surprised at how 'not bad' parking and driving felt tin Boston. There are some bad bottle necks but it isnot as widespread as in Washington DC or LA. I don't find the drivers bad either, much worse in RI, NJ, MD. I can speak to PNW, id assume tis easier to drive and park there which might make the drivers appear better. I think MA drivers are pretty aggressive but skilled.
New Bedford and Fall River would like a word.

Massachusetts doesn’t end at 128 and this thread is about New England. The Providence metro extends east to Bristol County Massachusetts. I think bad driving correlates highly with density, education level, and immigration. The driving is generally pretty bad in any of the failed New England cities where you have all three.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:50 AM

138 posts, read 73,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Can’t expect much variability in the Netherlands. Your climate is heavily influenced by the North Sea and the country is flat with no terrain.
Gosh, tell me something I don't know. Perhaps you should study our climate from say the last 100 years and then come back to go perhaps a bit more in depth, because you don't seem to grasp a single word I said in my 2 previous messages.

Quote:
Well, I guess it will become a more desired region then haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.