Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 12:06 PM

680 posts, read 412,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The same thing that happened to the UK (with Brexit putting the final nail in the coffin) is what's happening in the US now.

In another decade or so, the American middle class will largely disappear.
100% true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 12:57 PM

372 posts, read 204,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
100% true.
No one can say something is 100% true, unless it's already happened. Not hard to dispute that. Also, not sure what this has to do with the Iowa/Nebraska thing. You know, the bashing of the US.

Last edited by Bicala; 02-03-2023 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-03-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
No one can say something is 100% true, unless it's already happened. Not hard to dispute that. Also, not sure what this has to do with the Iowa/Nebraska thing. You know, the bashing of the US.
Well I didn't derail the thread. I was just discussing with someone what the most pure distillation of Midwestern culture was, because of the fact that Iowa is often cited as being the state that is the most representative of the Midwest.

I wasn't bashing the US either, I was merely stating what it is a well established fact, that the US, and the western world at large, is in a deep state of disarray and turmoil at the moment.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:53 PM

Since you haven't lived here before, and don't really know the area personally, Iowa is not much, at all like Wisconsin or Michigan...I can't speak for Ohio. It is similar to parts of Minnesota, parts of Nebraska, and maybe eastern parts of SD and Kansas, but not that much like Kansas, I don't think. All these states are different, and trying to figure out which one embodies these many states over this very vast region, is kind of pointless. What might be the "norm" for Iowa, could be quite different from the "norm" in WI. Kind of futile, and I don't get why people try to pick one random area to embody the entire Midwest.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:04 PM

1,350 posts, read 884,069 times
Quote:
Since you haven't lived here before, and don't really know the area personally, Iowa is not much, at all like Wisconsin or Michigan...I can't speak for Ohio. It is similar to parts of Minnesota, parts of Nebraska, and maybe eastern parts of SD and Kansas, but not that much like Kansas, I don't think. All these states are different, and trying to figure out which one embodies these many states over this very vast region, is kind of pointless. What might be the "norm" for Iowa, could be quite different from the "norm" in WI. Kind of futile, and I don't get why people try to pick one random area to embody the entire Midwest.
I agree. When I think of the midwest, I think of the north central region as a whole, not just the rural areas. I think of the industrial cities, the great lakes, the north woods, cold winters, and farmland. I think Iowa is representative of the rural midwest but not the midwest as a whole.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I agree. When I think of the midwest, I think of the north central region as a whole, not just the rural areas. I think of the industrial cities, the great lakes, the north woods, cold winters, and farmland. I think Iowa is representative of the rural midwest but not the midwest as a whole.
I completely agree as well.

Iowa is probably the quintessence of "Middle America", though.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I completely agree as well.

Iowa is probably the quintessence of "Middle America", though.
Maybe that's how some want to perceive "Middle America", but that would be the "movie" version, not reality.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.9064736

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8928.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-85.6023643

These are all a part of the Midwest. Maybe not your version, but these cities exist...Milwaukee in the first pic, Chicago second, and Michigan. A whole lot more pics like these that maybe don't fit your version of a sleepy Iowa town. These pics represent a diverse Midwest...not the "movie" version.

Last edited by Bicala; 02-03-2023 at 02:52 PM..

Old 02-03-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Maybe that's how some want to perceive "Middle America", but that would be the "movie" version, not reality.
Elaborate.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Elaborate.
I did...see links.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I did...see links.
That wasn't there when I first read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.