Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 12:36 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times

Advertisements

Don Gorske, who holds the current Guinness record for most Big Macs eaten in a lifetime. He's a prison guard and works a block away from the house I grew up in.

Also, King C. Gillette, inventor of the safety razor and blade. But he moved to Chicago as a child

Last edited by arr430; 10-22-2022 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 05:31 AM

My dad has us all beat, born and raised in Mark Twain's Hannibal MO.

My mom grew up across the street from Guitarish Les Paul's uncle , and probably played with Les as a child six years younger

I worked two years in Steinbeck's famous brothel,l, the Bea Flag Building on Cannery Row.

Last edited by arr430; 10-22-2022 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-22-2022, 07:31 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Are these people living?

The OPs very FIRST criteria is that they must be living

Old 10-22-2022, 04:57 PM

My bad --- just answered the title. After a selectable number of posts, the OP drops off the page.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
My bad --- just answered the title. After a selectable number of posts, the OP drops off the page.
I'm sorry I sounded so moody. I'm reading it back and it sounds moody. I didn't meant to be. I had not had my coffee. I know Twain is long gone, but I didn't pay much attention to the others so I was not being sarcastic when I asked if they were alive. I dunno Gorske and the Gillette guy in not sure what time period he is coming from.

I should have just stuck with the first line. After that it sounded like I needed a snickers.

As for the thread title, we are so divided nowadays its hard to say who is most loved nowadays.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:07 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Michael Jordan? I'm not sure if he still has his penthouse apartment here anymore or if he "retired" full time to Florida. But since he owns our city's NBA franchise he's my answer. Everyone knows who he is. Unfortunately for us, his playing days are nowhere close to his ownership of said franchise, but because he's the "GOAT" (arguable but whatever) and he's a Tar Heel, he gets shielded from criticism around here.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:13 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Bill Gates. He might be doing the most good of anyone these days, beyond his tech beginnings...global health, climate change...

He also has nutjobs against him, but does a nutjob's opinion count?

Old 10-23-2022, 03:05 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Jaylen Brown in Boston, probably

Lamar Jackson in Baltimore?

Old 10-25-2022, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I'm sorry I sounded so moody. I'm reading it back and it sounds moody. I didn't meant to be. I had not had my coffee. I know Twain is long gone, but I didn't pay much attention to the others so I was not being sarcastic when I asked if they were alive. I dunno Gorske and the Gillette guy in not sure what time period he is coming from.

I should have just stuck with the first line. After that it sounded like I needed a snickers.

As for the thread title, we are so divided nowadays its hard to say who is most loved
nowadays.
No problem. But I once was the most famous person in "my city" which had about 50 houses, aand I was a was a TV personality known by everyone in the metro. I had a 6-mile drive to work. This is heavily tilted, with different levels if fame for Los Angeles and St.-Anselme.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:28 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
It is an interesting question. I won't lie, even in their own cities, I find it hard to believe Obama and Bill Gates are 'universally' liked. Even though I personally like them a lot, they are two of the most polarizing people in the USA.

Out of the people who say they live in Philly and spend time here, I probably would have said Will Smith for a long time, but he slapped Chris Rock a few months ago and caused a stir. Quest Love of the Roots is probably near the top. Miles Teller just made it big in Top Gun, so he's also a popular guy to try to snag a photo with at the moment. Embiid is a larger-than-life character that is mostly, if not completely, loved. Bryce Harper has been on a roll so he might be the best answer atm. Quinta Brunson and Sheryl Lee Ralph's Abbott Elementary school show is very popular right now to and both are very much admired by most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.