Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,825 times

Advertisements

As I am graduating college soon, I am looking at other cities to possibly move to I currently live in Cincinnati, Ohio. While I do not hate it here, I am looking for other choices. I will be graduating for a degree in Information Systems, so I have a wide range of places I could get work at. So please suggest cities I shoud look into based off my criteria of what I look for in a city.

1) Well-established transit system. I would like to walk from my residence, whether it be a house, apartment or condo, to the transit system and get to where I want to go. If I have to own a car in a city, that is acceptable, just as long as I can rely more on a transit system.

2) Professional football and baseball teams. (This is a very low consideration, this would not stop me from moving if I found the right city)

3) Weather: Not blazing hot in the summer to not freezing ( anything below 20 degrees is too cold for me) cold during winter.

4) Nightlife: Decent nightlife for someone in their mid-20's.

5) Not a crazy cost of living cost comparison to Cincinnati.

6) Dog friendly

Last edited by Sideonecincy; 05-27-2008 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: 1 last thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideonecincy View Post
3) Weather: Not blazing hot in the summer to not freezing ( anything below 20 degrees is too cold for me) cold during winter
Hmmmm, that leaves you with San Diego, Seattle, Portland.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hmmmm, that leaves you with San Diego, Seattle, Portland.
However, the poster does not want crazy cost of living, so those cities are out of the question!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
However, the poster does not want crazy cost of living, so those cities are out of the question!
No kidding!

The OP should specificy what he means by blazing hot summers. For many, Atlanta summers are pretty warm but not blazing hot. And Atlanta doesn't get too cold in the winter, either.

Atlanta also has a really good subway system that covers the city and even goes up to the swank suburb of Sandy Springs (there's a MARTA stop right outside of Bloomingdale's at Perimeter Mall).

Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,825 times
Anything over 105 degree consistently. I can handle winter, as I currently do now in Cincinnati.

Portland's cost of living comparison is great but I heard their transit system isn't anything worth it.

I am open to anywhere just as long as I can justify it. The most important thing in the city is the transportation though.

I've looked into: Boston, Philly, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta and San Fran. No interest in moving to LA or NYC. What other cities have transit systems that are highly dependable?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideonecincy View Post
Anything over 105 degree consistently. I can handle winter, as I currently do now in Cincinnati.

Portland's cost of living comparison is great but I heard their transit system isn't anything worth it.

I am open to anywhere just as long as I can justify it. The most important thing in the city is the transportation though.

I've looked into: Boston, Philly, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta and San Fran. No interest in moving to LA or NYC. What other cities have transit systems that are highly dependable?
Chicago has an amazing and dependable transit system, but gets below 20 degrees many times at night, and sometimes during the days, too. Spring, summer and fall are glorious. Youll probably see only 105 degrees maybe once a year, and thats only with the heat index. It gets over 90 degrees I believe only 10 times per year on average, with temps normally 75-85 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.