Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM

481 posts, read 943,522 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with moving companies (good or bad)? I am moving from South Florida to NW Arkansas and it will be the first time that we haven't rented a UHaul and done it ourselves. I have put a deposit down for American Moving Services but I am starting to get cold feet hearing all the horror stories about companies holding furniture for ransom and charging ridiculous prices at the time of delivery.

I went onto a website that was like e-pinions for moving companies and they got the best rating, but then I realized they could have put those comments on their themselves.

It's getting down to the wire and I will have to make a decision soon, so any info would be great. Thanks

Lana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
We have used United Van Lines several times and have 100% confidence in them. We've never had any breakage and they have come in at or below their written estimate each time. How often does that happen??

Of course, each division is individually owned and operated so it's hard to say what the company in your area would be like.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,663 times
We have used Mayflower and North American. Had excellent experiences with both. As another poster pointed out, each unit is separately owned/operated, like a franchise, but I think overall if you go with one of the big-name, reputable companies you are taking less risk than if you go with JimBob's Moving and Livestock Company. Especially if you are making a long (i.e., interstate or cross country) move. But be warned -- they ain't cheap!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,414 times
I've had great experiences with several lines but there's one I'd strongly suggest you avoid at all costs. I won't name them by name, but here's a hint: April showers bring...

Not enough space here to detail all they things they messed up on my one and only move with them. Here are a few:

~ Sent a small truck even though I'd been promised a full-size one. When I asked them about it, they denied it was too small ("We're professionals, we know how big a truck we need"). At 4pm, they told me, "This truck is too small for all your stuff. Call the office and get another one". Of course, by 4pm it was too late to reach anyone in the office. And why was it MY responsibility?

~ Flat out lied when they told me they'd be packed and on the road by 4pm. See point above.

~ Dropped my dining room table on the brick walkway while I was watching. When I protested, I was told, "Pfffft we have Magic Markers -- you'll never be able to find the scratches".

~ Stood on my dining room table to load boxes into the upper areas of the truck (my neighbor saw them do that one).

~ Scratched up the top of my husband's one-month-old car (they loaded it into the truck with the rest of our things rather than shipping it by car carrier).

~ Handed me a bill after everything was loaded on the truck. It was $3000 over what I'd been quoted as a not-to-exceed price. Told me, "Look, we have your stuff; do you want it back or not?". In other words, your stuff is now being held hostage and the ransom is an additional $3000.

~ As I was attempting to read above-mentioned bill, I was ordered, "Don't read it, just sign it!".

~ As a lovely parting gift, drove the fully loaded truck across part of my neighbor's lawn as I watched. My neighbor lived across the street, so that tells you this was no accident.

And this list just scratches the surface of what they did. I will never, ever use them again. My jaw still gets tight whenever I see one of their trucks on the road and this incident happened nearly a decade ago.

Funny note (if there can be a funny note in all this). When interviewing a mover for a subsequent move, I related this story but didn't name the offending company. The representative of the new company said, "Heh who'd you use, <offender company>?"

I guess their reputation precedes them in the moving industry .

Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Thanks so much. Actually I made a slight mistake, the moving company is called America's Moving Services not American. Nelly, thanks for the info. because that was one of the companies we were actually thinking about using previously.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,414 times
I was wondering -- perhaps a moderator should move this thread to the General Moving section. People who are currently moving or just about to might be more likely to see it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.