Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 08:42 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times

Advertisements

Banks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 10:02 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Ehh... I'd be happy if Wawa expanded up this way. They have better coffee and breakfast sandwiches than Dunkin. Not to say it's fabulous or the best, but it's a step up from Dunkin, even if it's a glorified gas station. It's funny when I mention this to a lot of New Englanders. They get up in arms and defensive about Dunkin.
You're preaching to the choir about the lack of a Wawa analog in New England. One of the biggest aspects I miss about living in the Mid-Atlantic.

I will quibble with one characterization, though. Wawa may sell gas as a major business component, but it does indeed have a storied history as a dairy and sandwich shop business in the Philly area, long before they expanded as a major convenience store chain, with gas included.

What makes Wawa particularly better is that it's made-to-order, and with many, more food and drink options that any Dunkin enthusiast could ever dream of. Just a different business model entirely.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-25-2022 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-25-2022, 10:24 AM

330 posts, read 149,377 times
Quote:
Dunkin Donuts in every corner of New England. They are beyond prolific in this region serving low quality breakfast items and coffee as dull as dishwater. They are the pinnacle of mediocrity, but they just love it in the New England states. I never picked up on the appeal.
This got a good chuckle out of me. I actually used to like their coffee when I was younger...not sure if I changed or if the product got watered down.

Old 11-25-2022, 10:52 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,385,101 times
Vape shops -- every little strip center has one. Usually with the employee sitting out front having a cigarette.

24 hour fitness. They are everywhere and never more than 1 or 2 cars in the lot.

Banks -- you can't throw a rock without breaking out a bank window.

Mini storage units. I wish one would be honest and just call themselves a junk hut.

Convenience stores. Well, at least they're convenient.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:13 AM

1,203 posts, read 792,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You're preaching to the choir about the lack of a Wawa analog in New England. One of the biggest aspects I miss about living in the Mid-Atlantic.

I will quibble with one characterization, though. Wawa may sell gas as a major business component, but it does indeed have a storied history as a dairy and sandwich shop business in the Philly area, long before they expanded as a major convenience store chain, with gas included.

What makes Wawa particularly better is that it's made-to-order, and with many, more food and drink options that any Dunkin enthusiast could ever dream of. Just a different business model entirely.
Ahh...the Royal Farms vs Wawa battle in MD, the Wawa vs Sheetz battle in PA...then there's all 3 near Frederick MD area duking it out , throw in a few 7-11s as well, and the whatever remaining High's in the Baltimore area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There is also too many bodegas/corner shops, or convenience stores. There is too much overlap in product placement with supermarkets, and pharmacies. The shops I am talking about only offer more craft beer selection, and gambling in the form of the Lotto. There is one everywhere.
Once you've been to East Asia (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, HK) you'll realized that the density of bodegas/convenience stores in NY/NJ isn't really THAT crazy .

Old 11-25-2022, 11:30 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I get it. I vacationed on the Jersey Shore back in August and I'm an early riser. Wawa was my go to for coffee that early, walked in with warm greetings and smiles. Got made to order breakfast sandwiches and then we were on our way to the beach. And I'm like, why am I getting the warm fuzzies for this Wawa place? I was in my vacation mind, but once you get to Wawa, Cumby's just doesn't cut the mustard. They have plans for expansion but none north of Jersey since it abandoned its plans to expand into Connecticut. Boooooo!

https://www.phillyvoice.com/wawa-exp...olina-georgia/

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-25-2022 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-25-2022, 02:40 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Ahh...the Royal Farms vs Wawa battle in MD, the Wawa vs Sheetz battle in PA...then there's all 3 near Frederick MD area duking it out , throw in a few 7-11s as well, and the whatever remaining High's in the Baltimore area.

Once you've been to East Asia (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, HK) you'll realized that the density of bodegas/convenience stores in NY/NJ isn't really THAT crazy .
Highs just open a new location in Owings Mills in the last couple of months. Right across the street from a Royal Farms.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:23 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Dunkin Donuts in every corner of New England. They are beyond prolific in this region serving low quality breakfast items and coffee as dull as dishwater. They are the pinnacle of mediocrity, but they just love it in the New England states. I never picked up on the appeal.
I'll gladly siphon a few of your Dunks to the Bay Area. There's Krispy Kreme here, but sometimes I just want cheap donuts that don't get my hands all sticky and that I can get in any of 300 delicious food-dye-tastic flavors.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:38 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What kind of businesses are over saturated and way too numerous in your area?

In the NYC metro, we have too many Pizzerias everywhere especially in Manhattan. Its just dough with cheese, and tomatoes. I guess it is cheap but there is still point where too many are serving. There is one pizzeria every block, and another across the street sometimes. Its ridiculous.

There is also too many bodegas/corner shops, or convenience stores. There is too much overlap in product placement with supermarkets, and pharmacies. The shops I am talking about only offer more craft beer selection, and gambling in the form of the Lotto. There is one everywhere.

Chinese takeout is another one. They are everywhere. They all sell the same cheap junk food.

I dont know who these businesses are able to survive. Something fishy must be happening behind the scenes.

San Diego its Ramen places for sure.

Might say coffee shops, but its impossible to have too many of those.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:56 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
Pacific Northwest: over abundance of Starbucks. In my city, it is breweries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.