Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 09:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,010,858 times

Advertisements

What kind of businesses are over saturated and way too numerous in your area?

In the NYC metro, we have too many Pizzerias everywhere especially in Manhattan. Its just dough with cheese, and tomatoes. I guess it is cheap but there is still point where too many are serving. There is one pizzeria every block, and another across the street sometimes. Its ridiculous.

There is also too many bodegas/corner shops, or convenience stores. There is too much overlap in product placement with supermarkets, and pharmacies. The shops I am talking about only offer more craft beer selection, and gambling in the form of the Lotto. There is one everywhere.

Chinese takeout is another one. They are everywhere. They all sell the same cheap junk food.

I dont know who these businesses are able to survive. Something fishy must be happening behind the scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 09:56 PM

12,195 posts, read 8,091,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What kind of businesses are over saturated and way too numerous in your area?

In the NYC metro, we have too many Pizzerias everywhere especially in Manhattan. Its just dough with cheese, and tomatoes. I guess it is cheap but there is still point where too many are serving. There is one pizzeria every block, and another across the street sometimes. Its ridiculous.

There is also too many bodegas/corner shops, or convenience stores. There is too much overlap in product placement with supermarkets, and pharmacies. The shops I am talking about only offer more craft beer selection, and gambling in the form of the Lotto. There is one everywhere.

Chinese takeout is another one. They are everywhere. They all sell the same cheap junk food.

I dont know who these businesses are able to survive. Something fishy must be happening behind the scenes.
Yeah in Jersey its pretty annoying when three of the restaurants on the corner all serve Pizza and 2 of them are garbage.

Like if you cant do pizza. Why are you here?

Old 11-24-2022, 11:44 PM

6,405 posts, read 5,050,128 times
Yeah, bodegas in SF too (or just corner-store markets I guess). I don't get the appeal. You're getting the same Dove dish soap and Coke that Walgreens down the block has, except Walgreens is open at night and has a pharmacy.

Chinese food is very abundant here too. Not surprising considering 1/3 of the city is Chinese, but it'd be cool if more of the restaurants had specific angles, like Chinese bakeries or less common regions of China (Yunnanese, Northeast Chinese, Xinjiang). There is at least a dumpling place in the Richmond I've been meaning to check out.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:34 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,526,569 times
dentist ,I get a lot of flyers of dentist office opening in my area ,I dont see how they can all survive?
We see less nail salon now.
Then there used to be many 99 cents or dollar stores.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:47 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,571,565 times
Restaurants I swear there must be a gov't program to start stupid little places to eat that I don't want to go to.

People in my town lose their mind when some cheap nasty place opens in a strip mall.

We have to stop the glorification of eating out.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:15 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,526,569 times
coffee shops

Old 11-25-2022, 05:55 AM

1,681 posts, read 1,102,538 times
Nail salons

Old 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM

10,764 posts, read 23,877,889 times
Dunkin Donuts in every corner of New England. They are beyond prolific in this region serving low quality breakfast items and coffee as dull as dishwater. They are the pinnacle of mediocrity, but they just love it in the New England states. I never picked up on the appeal.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-25-2022 at 06:26 AM..

Old 11-25-2022, 06:51 AM

12,195 posts, read 8,091,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Dunkin Donuts in every corner of New England. They are beyond prolific in this region serving low quality breakfast items and coffee as dull as dishwater. They are the pinnacle of mediocrity, but they just love it in the New England states. I never picked up on the appeal.
I mean, tbf, alot of these local coffee spots are pretty terrible too. Especially serving $6-10+ drinks. Il take a $4 Large Iced Espresso.

Also, NJ, NY, PA and FL too.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:10 AM

10,764 posts, read 23,877,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I mean, tbf, alot of these local coffee spots are pretty terrible too. Especially serving $6-10+ drinks. Il take a $4 Large Iced Espresso.

Also, NJ, NY, PA and FL too.
Ehh... I'd be happy if Wawa expanded up this way. They have better coffee and breakfast sandwiches than Dunkin. Not to say it's fabulous or the best, but it's a step up from Dunkin, even if it's a glorified gas station. It's funny when I mention this to a lot of New Englanders. They get up in arms and defensive about Dunkin.

Also when travelling around rural parts of the US, I often see the only option for anything to eat is Subway. I find that to be depressing. One small town after another, Dollar Generals and Subways.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-25-2022 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.