Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 12:23 PM

140 posts, read 239,485 times

Advertisements

We’re just early exploring. We live in Orange County CA—love the access to great restaurants, hate the US political craziness, guns, etc. If I could I’d move to Vancouver or Toronto, but cant afford an investment visa necessary.

Are there towns near the border that are…
- easy and fast access to Canada (where could shop/hike)
- safe
- good schools (daughter may be finishing high school)
- Chinese and Japanese food/groceries as wife is Taiwanese

I’ve read about towns in VT or ME that straddle the border and (pre pandemic) people could easily shop in Canada. Of course those will be far from Canadian cities.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 12:52 PM

506 posts, read 476,256 times
Towns along the Vermont border are very close to Montreal (under an hour in many places). But you'll probably be better with Upstate NY considering what you're looking for. The Buffalo area would probably be good.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:55 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Point Roberts and Bellingham. Washington state to B.C. mainland (Vancouver, Mission, Maple Ridge, Burnaby, Chilliwack). I lived in Vancouver for about 13 years.

My pick: Port Angeles on the gorgeous Olympic peninsula that stretches into the Strait Juan de Fuca of the Pacific Ocean. Take the ferry to Vancouver Island and BC's capital, Victoria. I lived on this peninsula for 5 years.

Ogdensburg, NY is only 3 miles from Prescott, Ontario via 1.5 mile long Ogdensburg'Prescott International Bridge . I've been over this bridge several times in my life back in the 70s. Toronto isn't the only city in Ontario. Nor is Montreal the only city in Quebec.

Last edited by kitty61; 12-03-2022 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-03-2022, 02:27 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Bellingham is a great idea.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Point Roberts and Bellingham. Washington state to B.C. mainland (Vancouver, Mission, Maple Ridge, Burnaby, Chilliwack). I lived in Vancouver for about 13 years.

My pick: Port Angeles on the gorgeous Olympic peninsula that stretches into the Strait Juan de Fuca of the Pacific Ocean. Take the ferry to Vancouver Island and BC's capital, Victoria. I lived on this peninsula for 5 years.

Ogdensburg, NY is only 3 miles from Prescott, Ontario via 1.5 mile long Ogdensburg'Prescott International Bridge . I've been over this bridge several times in my life back in the 70s. Toronto isn't the only city in Ontario. Nor is Montreal the only city in Quebec.
These are great ideas. I’d never noticed Point Roberts, it looks like it’s basically part of the VAN metro area.
We are about to go to Vancouver for Xmas, I’m going to check it out.

Anyone know how easy the border crossing is there? I’ve done the Blaine crossing many times, just didn’t know if Point Roberts has its own. Seems like it would have to.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:19 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
We’re just early exploring. We live in Orange County CA—love the access to great restaurants, hate the US political craziness, guns, etc. If I could I’d move to Vancouver or Toronto, but cant afford an investment visa necessary.

Are there towns near the border that are…
- easy and fast access to Canada (where could shop/hike)
- safe
- good schools (daughter may be finishing high school)
- Chinese and Japanese food/groceries as wife is Taiwanese

I’ve read about towns in VT or ME that straddle the border and (pre pandemic) people could easily shop in Canada. Of course those will be far from Canadian cities.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Well it's a very long border and a big country, is there a particular part of Canada you prefer to be near? Based on your food preferences it sounds like being close to BC would be the best bet, so you have Bellingham, WA as a good option.

If you want to be near Montreal, there's the Champlain Valley in Upstate NY and Vermont where interstates 87 and 89 have easy access to the city (60-90 minutes). Burlington, VT and surrounding Chittenden County would have the best school districts. There's also St. Albans VT and Plattsburgh, NY which are closer to the border, but amenities will be more limited to which you'd rely on border crossings for more amenities and food options as this area falls short of having good Asian grocery stores. You basically have Costco, Trader Joes, and some health food co-ops in addtion to the mainline stores in the Burlington area.

Keep in mind you're restricted on particular food items that you can bring back into the US, are subject to agricultural inspection, and they would probably confiscate and discard things like fresh produce and meat.

If you're interested in Toronto, then Buffalo will give you good access to the GTA along with having a medium sized metro with a decent amount of amenities on its own and an airport with a good amount of direct air service. Hope you enjoy snow!

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-03-2022 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-03-2022, 07:08 PM

I think you’re right—my gut is northern WA given need for well-stocked Asian markets, eateries.
I feel like VT will feel too isolated - plus guessing mosquitoes will be pretty bad in summer, if it’s anything like my childhood south of Boston. Buffalo doesn’t feel safe especially if the goal is to get away from the US problems. (I realize there’s crime everywhere but US guns/political violence is sickening to me).

Point Roberts seems awesome. You’re geographically detached from the US and reliant (in a good way) on Canadian shopping and services. I’d love to hear from people who’ve spent a lot of time there or Blaine/Bellingham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Well it's a very long border and a big country, is there a particular part of Canada you prefer to be near? Based on your food preferences it sounds like being close to BC would be the best bet, so you have Bellingham, WA as a good option.

If you want to be near Montreal, there's the Champlain Valley in Upstate NY and Vermont where interstates 87 and 89 have easy access to the city (60-90 minutes). Burlington, VT and surrounding Chittenden County would have the best school districts. There's also St. Albans VT and Plattsburgh, NY which are closer to the border, but amenities will be more limited to which you'd rely on border crossings for more amenities and food options as this area falls short of having good Asian grocery stores. You basically have Costco, Trader Joes, and some health food co-ops in addtion to the mainline stores in the Burlington area.

Keep in mind you're restricted on particular food items that you can bring back into the US, are subject to agricultural inspection, and they would probably confiscate and discard things like fresh produce and meat.

If you're interested in Toronto, then Buffalo will give you good access to the GTA along with having a medium sized metro with a decent amount of amenities on its own and an airport with a good amount of direct air service. Hope you enjoy snow!

Old 12-03-2022, 07:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
I think you’re right—my gut is northern WA given need for well-stocked Asian markets, eateries.
I feel like VT will feel too isolated - plus guessing mosquitoes will be pretty bad in summer, if it’s anything like my childhood south of Boston. Buffalo doesn’t feel safe especially if the goal is to get away from the US problems. (I realize there’s crime everywhere but US guns/political violence is sickening to me).

Point Roberts seems awesome. You’re geographically detached from the US and reliant (in a good way) on Canadian shopping and services. I’d love to hear from people who’ve spent a lot of time there or Blaine/Bellingham.
Yeah, northern WA is great. Mosquitoes are significantly worse in northern New England than in northern WA - there’s also black flies and ticks you have to worry about, which are pretty much nonexistent in the PNW. The close proximity to Vancouver is a nice benefit.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:45 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Blaine, WA is probably the way to go if you really want a town on the border.

Also, my understanding is US Citizens can live in Canada 6 months out of the year without getting a visa so a 2nd home there may be a better option than simply moving close to the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

Just my .02, but I thought Port Townsend was a lot nicer than Port Angeles. Neither are close to the border unless you take the ferry to Victoria.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:29 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I don't get the OP's preferences. No matter whether you can occasionally go get coffee at Tim Horton's and get your tires changed at Canadian Tire, you'll still live in the U.S. with U.S. politics and U.S. society. People in SE Michigan or the Buffalo area can go to Canada easily and yet the average lifestyle is quite quintessentially American. Living close to Canada isn't really making your life more Canadian or reducing your exposure to America.

People in communities like Pt. Roberts were hit *hard* by the pandemic as well. The crisis showed that even though Canadians and Americans are neighbors there, at the end of the day the border is a very significant barrier that you ignore at your own peril.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.