Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 05:35 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,198 posts, read 7,668,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Does anyone have the numbers for Trenton NJ? It could possibly one of the largest population numbers starting around 30-40 miles.
Trenton, NJ- Trenton Airport

50km/31mi- 5,257,039
55km/34mi- 6,258,979
60km/37mi- 7,188,803
65km/40mi- 8,171,807

It continues to jump dramatically from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 05:49 AM

600 posts, read 327,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
That doesn't surprise me at all given that Dallas is towards the easter edge of the DFW metro. You'd need to put the center of the circle around Arlington or Irving to get the biggest number I assume.
Correct in my view too. People who down play Fort Worth’s importance to metro might think somewhat seeing this ranking. It also shows Houston’s center bypasses Dallas’s core population surprisingly.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:08 AM

600 posts, read 327,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Buffalo and Detroit totals did not include Canadian numbers in their 50 mile radius. I used the International Radius Tool a couple of years ago and found that Buffalo was around 3.7 million, and Detroit’s was 6.4 million. I'm sure San Diego will also show a significant area population change if Mexican population within 50 miles is added. I was going to re-run the numbers today, but the tool wasn't working. I didn't have 25-35-40 mile radius numbers on-hand.
Would be interesting to see El Paso using the international tool that would pick up Juarez. I met a person moving to El Paso from phoenix as her children lived in Europe and she claimed had better access by plane in El Paso.

Opps read more and found it had been done already thanks.

Another part of the country I find interesting is in Ky/Oh/In. Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Columbus for a monster population center when putting them all in a radius from perhaps Cincinnati. I like suburban living but near a big metro anf this area caught my eye. I didn’t see anything going far enough out here to show its multi msm size.

Last edited by Johnhw222; 08-26-2023 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-26-2023, 11:51 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,859,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Another part of the country I find interesting is in Ky/Oh/In. Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Columbus for a monster population center when putting them all in a radius from perhaps Cincinnati. I like suburban living but near a big metro anf this area caught my eye. I didn’t see anything going far enough out here to show its multi msm size.
These cities are further away from major population centers and each other than you think.

https://www.tomforth.co.uk/circlepopulations/

Play around with the tool yourself. It's one of the most user friendly out there. You just click on a map and it does you the population in the radius of your choosing. None of those cities gives monster populations like Areas from Northern Virginia to NY, southern California, Florida, Northern California, or the corners of the Texas Triangle

Old 08-26-2023, 01:35 PM

3,605 posts, read 3,121,280 times
Quote:
Would be interesting to see El Paso using the international tool that would pick up Juarez. I met a person moving to El Paso from phoenix as her children lived in Europe and she claimed had better access by plane in El Paso.

El Paso using International Radius Tool:
25 mi - 2,283,320
35 mi - 2,315,812
50 mi - 2,475,325

Old 08-26-2023, 03:05 PM

4,183 posts, read 2,907,562 times
Quote:

On that note, Seagrove, NC is the center of population for the state. Even more, using the 100km/62miles radius around the town gets you about 4.7 million and touching 9 of the 10 largest cities in NC (all except Wilmington).

Old 08-26-2023, 06:33 PM

20,537 posts, read 33,679,892 times
Gotta admit, quite shocked that Houston still leads Dallas even this far out. Very interesting.

Old 08-26-2023, 08:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,859,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Gotta admit, quite shocked that Houston still leads Dallas even this far out. Very interesting.
I think it's because of the direction of growth being heavily North- south in DFW. Mckinney is like 75 miles from the southern burbs and McKinney is constantly one of the fastest growing cities in the country. So the growth is very skewed to the north.
Skip to the CSA and Durant is about 150 miles from the southern burbs. And Sulphur springs is like 130 miles from the western burbs.

For reference that is like from DC, passed Baltimore, Passed Wilmington and on to Philadelphia. Or from Philadelphia to Bridgeport.

Pretty much the size of half the Boston- Washington corridor.

The bulk of Houston's growth is much closer in. It's mainly between downtown and Katy which is about 30 miles, and Conroe to Pearland which is about 60 miles. The tool shows you get almost half of metro Houston's population in a loop a little bigger than beltway 8 and almost the entire metro within the grand Parkway. The population distribution in DFW is less regular.

Old 08-27-2023, 08:34 AM

20,537 posts, read 33,679,892 times
Which further goes to prove my point that Houston Isler centralized than most people give it credit for. Especially compared to DFW. Fort Worth part of the reason why the area is decentralized.

Old 08-27-2023, 03:48 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,388,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Excellent data.
I think 25 miles in each direction is more than enough.

The reason I say this is my Gold Standard for cities is London. London has almost 10M people in 670 sq miles.

A 25 mile radius is 625 sq miles, so comparable to London. A 35 mile radius is 1225 sq miles or two Londons. At 35M NY picks up 2.5M in an additional 600 sq miles but seeing how the prior 600 sq miles was 15M you see that that it is just picking up fluff.

25 miles you really the concentration of an area without picking up nearby metros.

But like I said the data is very interesting. Phoenix is always getting read for filth because of its city limits but look at it above Atlanta. The large city limits means nothing.

I say ask the time, people who say things like Houston is only ... because the city limits of 600sq miles. But look at the data. At 625 sq miles Houston is double its city limits population in a smaller area. That means Houston is big because it is big. Saying it is the city limits is being ignorant of the area.

I didn't expect Houston to be that larger than Dallas at 25 miles though.

Detroit is holding strong as #2 in the midwest. Phoenix and Detroit need more respect on here

As a Houston native, now living in Dallas, its interesting that they flip rankings from 25 to 35 miles. I wonder too, if the center point was shifted to DFW Airport (midway between Dallas & Fort Worth) what would the numbers be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.