Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis. The Longfellow neighborhood is old, (20s/30s) traditionally working class with many lesbian couples having moved in. Lots of little shops and restaurants, including the city's pre-eminent Lesbian coffee shop. There are some great charter schools in the Twin Cities, also. It's a very safe, laid-back neighborhood, and the home prices are reasonable for the Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,091 times
A lot of cities nationwide are experiencing extreme heat, San Antonio and Austin are hotter than ever, and in the worst drought ever recorded. Most be global warming or Satan is getting closer to town, lol, something is up.
As far as the gay life in San Antonio, it is becoming more liberal, the new mayor was the emcee of the Gay parade, the Chief of Police hosted last years Gay pride at Hemisfair Park(Former Minneapolis Chief). San Antonio also has the highest percentage of gay couples raising childern in the country.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:35 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I think central Long Island would be a good fit. You see many gay couples with children, and it's very acceptable. Particularly Stony Brook, Port Jefferson area.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:32 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Another area that might work, if you can find a job, the Royal Oak/Ferndale area of Metro Detroit would be perfect. Diverse, especially Ferndale, has good schools(more Royal Oak), gay friendly, has some nightlife and is close to events in Detroit. Canada is close by as well. I know it is in Michigan, but those communities would be perfect.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 13,591 times
I'm from Atlanta, and if you're looking to get away from the heat, ATL is NOT the place. We have had snow for the last 3 winters, but only small dustings (maybe 1.5-2 inches) and Atlanta just got it's first White Christmas since 1882. However, the winters are VERY short and summers very long. Sometimes is too hot that it fries your garden... my experience. Sometimes it's so hot that bugs overbreed and it makes summer evenings hell, and destroys your garden.
We're a lesbian couple moving to gay-friendly Asheville. Summers average 84, and they get a decent amount of snow (especially to people coming from no-snow zones.) My experience is that Western NC has a perfect 4 seasons. The colors are absolutely BEAUTIFUL in the fall in Western NC, and there are outdoor activities all year round, usually within a few minutes from town. It's very artsy.
My family is mixed. We are a 24/31 year old lesbian couple with a bi-racial teenage son. Atlanta "can" be ok if you in the right spots, but sometimes that is hard to do. Asheville is very open-minded in comparison.
Traffic is HORRID in Atlanta, I honestly don't know how residents of Asheville can complain. We driven downtown Asheville in the busiest hours, and it is NOTHING compared to Atlanta traffic. Taking 40 minutes to drive 3 miles is not appealing in any case.
Asheville is definitely your "Friendly people, funky festivals, a slower pace overall."
My best friend lived in Austin and Asheville, and said Asheville takes the cake because there isn't that powerful heat, and it's more "small-town city", but with great nightlife and festivals and just everything.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
Default Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Louisville and St. Louis come to mind, though St. Louis doesn't have as many touches of the South as Louisville. Both are very affordable and apparently pretty liberal.

St. Louis will get hot, though probably not as hot as Texas. And the winters get cold, but are milder than Chicago. The housing stock is older. Finding a home 80-100 years old isn't that hard, especially in the city. How many bedrooms will you need? What's your budget? That would be helpful to know. S

outhern Missouri will have more southern touches, but there's not any major cities in Southern Missouri. Springfield has about 100,000, though. But from my experience in rural Southeastern Missouri, you'll probably get more looks here, though nobody will (most likely) actually say anything to you (because you're a lesbian couple with children). I live in rural Southeast Missouri and, unfortunately, most people I know here would probably look down on you. They have a right to believe what they want, but you might get some looks. When I was in High School I heard the "N" word here fairly regularly, stuff about Muslims being terrorists, homophobic terms (like about leaving all gays on a desert island and they would extint themselves because they can't have children like straight couples do), I've heard Jew used as an insult.

Anyway, St. Louis should be fine, as would be Kansas City. The city is generally pretty tolerant. And just visiting Southeast Missouri I don't think anybody would say anything to you, especially if you don't make your orientation well-known (most people would probably assume you were friends or sisters if they just saw you walking with your kids). But I'd be careful about living down here in rural areas. The landscape is beautiful, and the people in general are friendly, but behind closed doors people (especially high schoolers) will say very hurtful things. I mostly notice it at school, not at my church. But there's judgement there, too, though most of it is probably out of concern.

People around here aren's used to diversity, so they don't generally do as well with tolerating things that they don't agree with. If they don't agree with it, that's their right. But sometimes they have a hard time identifying with people who are more liberal and tolerant.
I'm not sure where you're from, but Springfield, population closer to 160,000, is nothing like you describe. Neither are any of the surrounding towns. I have never come across intolerance toward my family. You make Missouri sound much worse than it is and I take offense to that.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
This country has changed a lot for the better since the original post, so hopefully the OP has found a great place to live (I haven't read the thread since it is so old).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.