Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstring View Post
Hi everyone, myself and my husband are in the early stages of attempting to emmigrate to the US from the UK. My husband is a prison officer and after we decide on a state, will start applying for jobs and visa. We have 2 children ages 5 and 1 and obviously good schools, low crime rate, safety are a must. So to start us off I would like to ask you all....

If you could choose any state to raise children, which and where would you choose?

Thanks x
I would definitely choose the Northern states. Everywhere else seems to be corrupted. I would choose Massachusettes, Upstate NY, etc. Whatever you do, DO NOT come down south with kids!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,068 times
Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Colorado, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Utah and parts of Texas,

Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 PM

13 posts, read 22,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Utah???
Yes indeed. Utah is a fantastic place to raise a family.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,820 times
If I had to choose a state to raise kids, it would be the state of unlimited wealth.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:34 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlincoyote2k1 View Post
Yes indeed. Utah is a fantastic place to raise a family.
No more so than a multitude of other places.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 20,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I would definitely choose the Northern states. Everywhere else seems to be corrupted. I would choose Massachusettes, Upstate NY, etc. Whatever you do, DO NOT come down south with kids!!
Why not the south?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
The South would be the best as it has a comfortable pro-family atmosphere, a lower cost of living, less overcrowding and dirt/filth that's found in the Northeast, etc. People maintain bonds with their neighbors and communities so kids can play in the neighborhood without worrying about sex offenders and other seedy characters that wander the streets in many parts of the Northeast after the scumbag judges in the NY/NJ area give them a slap on the wrist.

The Northeast is great if you want to raise your kids to be ashamed of themselves because they aren't atheist or a minority, and possibly be a victim of crime.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
southern cities all seem to have their good areas to live and raise kids. the south in general is not a good place to raise kids if you just move "anywhere" and throw your kids into the local public school. we have some real wackos out there on local school boards, and in the classrooms.

i don't know how things are in other parts of the nation - it seems like for us, there is no consistency, some districts are like a well-run machine of high-achieving students, other districts are completely dysfunctional and arguing about creationism.

also, private schools are more accessible to the common person in the south. if you have bad public schools you often have a good, inexpensive private school to back it up.

Last edited by le roi; 03-10-2010 at 05:32 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
The South would be the best as it has a comfortable pro-family atmosphere, a lower cost of living, less overcrowding and dirt/filth that's found in the Northeast, etc. People maintain bonds with their neighbors and communities so kids can play in the neighborhood without worrying about sex offenders and other seedy characters that wander the streets in many parts of the Northeast after the scumbag judges in the NY/NJ area give them a slap on the wrist.

The Northeast is great if you want to raise your kids to be ashamed of themselves because they aren't atheist or a minority, and possibly be a victim of crime.
ah yes. the northeast - most educated, highest rated schools, lowest rate of divorce, lowest % in poverty, and safest part of the county. what a terrible place to raise kids.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Raise the kids in the someplace like Idaho or Montana or the Dakotas. That way they don't have to grow up around all this north vs. south BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.