Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM

324 posts, read 666,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
The South would be the best as it has a comfortable pro-family atmosphere, a lower cost of living, less overcrowding and dirt/filth that's found in the Northeast, etc. People maintain bonds with their neighbors and communities so kids can play in the neighborhood without worrying about sex offenders and other seedy characters that wander the streets in many parts of the Northeast after the scumbag judges in the NY/NJ area give them a slap on the wrist.

The Northeast is great if you want to raise your kids to be ashamed of themselves because they aren't atheist or a minority, and possibly be a victim of crime.
The south does have a lower cost of living, However, they have lower paying jobs to go along with a low cost of living.

Dirt/Filth in the Northeast? As you can see from the link provided below, 10 of the top 20 states for crime were in the south. Louisiana (2), South Carolina (3), Florida (5), Tennessee (6), Arkansas (11), Georgia (12), Alabama (13), Texas (15), Oklahoma (16) and North Carolina (18).

Most Dangerous States - WalletPop

I live in NJ, all of my neighbors bond. Also, I see children playing outside.

Also, let me bring up the school systems. As you can see from the link provided below, southern school systems are below average. In the top 10 for best school systems was only one southern state, which was Virginia. The midwest produced three, the northeast produced SIX. For the top 10 worst school systems by state, the south managed to produce SIX of the top 10 worst.

Best Educated Index statistics - states compared - StateMaster

These are my reasons for raising my future children in central New Jersey or Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,609,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
These are my reasons for raising my future children in central New Jersey or Long Island.
i take no issue with your choice, i'm sure those are fine places to raise children. however, i fail to see how statewide statistics are a meaningful basis on which to make this decision. most people raise children in one school, or one district, as opposed to raising their children in schools across the state. growing up in south carolina, my education was not inhibited by the many bad schools in my area, because i did not attend them.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,624,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
ah yes. the northeast - most educated, highest rated schools, lowest rate of divorce, lowest % in poverty, and safest part of the county. what a terrible place to raise kids.
The problem with the Northeast is that it is a region of extremes. New Jersey was the most affluent (highest income) state for years and was only recently surpassed by Maryland. Yet it has 2 of the 25 most dangerous cities in America (which also happen to be its major population centers/largest cities) and plenty of other rundown areas throughout the state. When you imply NJ is a great state to raise kids, I don't think you're visualizing raising them in the Newark or Camden areas, but in some cushy Bergen co. suburb. Yet, millions of NJians are dealing with a much more grim reality. It's unfortunate you can't understand that.

NYC has some of the most extreme wealth in the world concentrated in pockets of Manhattan, and then it has areas such as the South Bronx, which Reagan visited and described as resembling burnt out Berlin after the war. And this is in the same city.

I could detail further examples in states such as Connecticut and Maryland, which are among the most racially and economically polarized and divisive states in the country.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,587,981 times
Quote:
The problem with the Northeast is that it is a region of extremes. New Jersey was the most affluent (highest income) state for years and was only recently surpassed by Maryland. Yet it has 2 of the 25 most dangerous cities in America (which also happen to be its major population centers/largest cities) and plenty of other rundown areas throughout the state. When you imply NJ is a great state to raise kids, I don't think you're visualizing raising them in the Newark or Camden areas, but in some cushy Bergen co. suburb. Yet, millions of NJians are dealing with a much more grim reality. It's unfortunate you can't understand that.

NYC has some of the most extreme wealth in the world concentrated in pockets of Manhattan, and then it has areas such as the South Bronx, which Reagan visited and described as resembling burnt out Berlin after the war. And this is in the same city.

I could detail further examples in states such as Connecticut and Maryland, which are among the most racially and economically polarized and divisive states in the country.
it's unfortunate that you don't understand that there is abject poverty and violent crime in the south as well while you blindly say the south is the best place to raise kids.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
it's unfortunate that you don't understand that there is abject poverty and violent crime in the south as well while you blindly say the south is the best place to raise kids.
You missed the point of my entire post, tahiti

There is poverty and violent crime in every state, to a greater or lesser extent obviously depending on the state. However, NJ likes to boast that it is "concentrated". I don't see this as something to brag about at all.

I didn't blindly state anything. The South is by and large a less polarized region overall, so much better in that sense and most other senses.

Or do you not consider it a disgrace, tahiti, that the nation's second most "affluent" state's second largest city has ranked in the Top 5 most dangerous American cities for years on end?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:23 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,499,414 times
Probably NY. Lots of great neighborhoods, great schools, good people and kid-friendly amenities.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,587,981 times
Quote:
You missed the point of my entire post, tahiti

There is poverty and violent crime in every state, to a greater or lesser extent obviously depending on the state. However, NJ likes to boast that it is "concentrated". I don't see this as something to brag about at all.

I didn't blindly state anything. The South is by and large a less polarized region overall, so much better in that sense and most other senses.

Or do you not consider it a disgrace, tahiti, that the nation's second most "affluent" state's second largest city has ranked in the Top 5 most dangerous American cities for years on end?
and you missed the point of my entire response to you, reluctant. when you want to discuss things rationally, I'm available.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
and you missed the point of my entire response to you, reluctant. when you want to discuss things rationally, I'm available.
I see you have chosen to substitute insults for substance in your posts these days, tahiti.

The same offer stands here.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,646,019 times
Last time i checked, parents raise kids not states.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Last time i checked, parents raise kids not states.
Of course, even the best parents would have a tougher time raising kids in war-torn Bosnia than a suburban town in Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.