Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: St. Louis Metro East - Midwestern or Southern?
Midwestern 45 86.54%
Southern 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 08:10 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Metro East reminds me a lot of the Northern Kentucky extension of Cincinnati. Both feel quite different from the surrounding rural area, but are no question influenced by said rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 08:37 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I don’t think the reason why a lot of St. Louis metro suburbs have French-sounding names is because of any direct settlement from France.
St Louis was founded by French fur traders.
St Charles was founded as Les Petites Cotes by Louis Blanchette (French fur trader)
Florissant officially was founded in 1785 when Missouri was Spanish, but French/French Canadians lived there
Belleville was founded by an American with an English name after a dude with another English name (John Bell)

Lots of the area was French, but it seems like anything with "-ville" names aren't French.

But back to the OP:
To midwesteners, St Louis and Missouri is Southern. To everyone else, I guess it's midwest.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:26 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
St Louis was founded by French fur traders.
St Charles was founded as Les Petites Cotes by Louis Blanchette (French fur trader)
Florissant officially was founded in 1785 when Missouri was Spanish, but French/French Canadians lived there
Belleville was founded by an American with an English name after a dude with another English name (John Bell)

Lots of the area was French, but it seems like anything with "-ville" names aren't French.

But back to the OP:
To midwesteners, St Louis and Missouri is Southern. To everyone else, I guess it's midwest.
Anywhere south of I-70 starts to become much more southern influenced overall. Between the I-70 and I-80 corridor it is generally the Lower Midwest with some noticeable southern influences.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:26 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Midwestern to its core.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:41 AM

678 posts, read 411,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Anywhere south of I-70 starts to become much more southern influenced overall. Between the I-70 and I-80 corridor it is generally the Lower Midwest with some noticeable southern influences.
I strongly disagree with this boundary having any prominant Southern influence whatsoever (with one exception being Central and Northeast Missouri). Instead I think this region is truly the cornerstone for the Midlands, that is, the most purely Midwestern (and for that matter, 'American') region in the country.

I also don't see why interstates play that much of a key role in determining cultural borders when you consider the fact that they've only been in place for the past 60 years.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 12-19-2022 at 09:53 AM..

Old 12-19-2022, 09:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
I don't think St Louis is southern at all.

But you don't have to go very far from it to start picking up a heavy Southern influence. I think the Ozarks are equal parts South and Midwest, and the Missouri Boot Heel IS Southern, straight up.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:02 AM

678 posts, read 411,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I don't think St Louis is southern at all.
Do you think the Illinois-side suburbs of St. Louis are Southern influenced?

Quote:
But you don't have to go very far from it to start picking up a heavy Southern influence. I think the Ozarks are equal parts South and Midwest, and the Missouri Boot Heel IS Southern, straight up.
Admittedly I don't know too much about the Ozarks, but I think most of Missouri outside the two largest metro areas (KC and STL) is to an extent Southern influenced, even as far north as places like Hannibal or Chillicothe, where Evangelicals are largely the majority.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
I feel like even some areas north of the St. Louis metro have southern influences based on their speech patterns.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Do you think the Illinois-side suburbs of St. Louis are Southern influenced?

Admittedly I don't know too much about the Ozarks, but I think most of Missouri outside the two largest metro areas (KC and STL) is to an extent Southern influenced, even as far north as places like Hannibal or Chillicothe, where Evangelicals are largely the majority.
I've never been to the Illinois suburbs. I think a significant portion of rural southern Illinois has a major southern influence, but I don't know about the STL burbs. From what I know of that area from artists like Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy (musicians from Belleville) it seems very Midwestern, like St Louis itself.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I feel like even some areas north of the St. Louis metro have southern influences based on their speech patterns.
I have friends from southwest Iowa who's accents always sounded almost Southern to me, but otherwise were very much Midwestern. I just think to people with northern accents, that lower Midwest area sounds southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.