Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: St. Louis Metro East - Midwestern or Southern?
Midwestern 45 86.54%
Southern 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 07:19 AM

682 posts, read 418,325 times

Advertisements

Something I've often speculated in Midwest geography is what category does the Illinois side of the St. Louis metro, better known as "Metro East", fall under in terms of culture/identity?

Most sources define this region, along with the rest of Southern Illinois (approximately south of Effingham), as being much more culturally aligned with the Upland South than the Midwest due to its more southerly latitude, to which I would concur.

However I strongly feel this does not apply to the Southwest Illinois suburbs of Belleville, Collinsville, Edwardsville, Granite City, Alton etc. that are largely within the socio-cultural influence of St. Louis, a very Midwestern city.

I'd be curious to get other opinions on this.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 12-16-2022 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 08:40 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,025,282 times
I need to explore the region more, but I've never gotten much of a southern feel in southern Illinois. Even in Carbondale (just one or two counties above Cairo) it felt very Midwestern.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I need to explore the region more, but I've never gotten much of a southern feel in southern Illinois. Even in Carbondale (just one or two counties above Cairo) it felt very Midwestern.
Based on research I’ve done and videos I’ve watched, I’d beg to differ. The local accent of south-central and southeastern Illinois is more southern and the region is largely Evangelical.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 12-17-2022 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-17-2022, 06:51 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,933,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Remote parts of Southern Illinois are pretty interesting. You’ll come across some hardcore southern or Appalachian dialect.

I’ve looked into this before. Certain area in southeast Illinois share accents with bordering Kentucky, while southern/southwestern Illinois shares more with Tennessee. And it’s not just the “twang”. There are a number of shares sayings in those regions.

As far as Saint Louis, it’s definitely a northern or Midwestern town. But again, you don’t need to travel far outside the MSA for it to feel and sound southern.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Remote parts of Southern Illinois are pretty interesting. You’ll come across some hardcore southern or Appalachian dialect.

I’ve looked into this before. Certain area in southeast Illinois share accents with bordering Kentucky, while southern/southwestern Illinois shares more with Tennessee. And it’s not just the “twang”. There are a number of shares sayings in those regions.

As far as Saint Louis, it’s definitely a northern or Midwestern town. But again, you don’t need to travel far outside the MSA for it to feel and sound southern.
Does this Tennessee accent extend to Metro East?

Old 12-17-2022, 09:06 AM

1,207 posts, read 801,856 times
Metro East itself is basically an extension of St. Louis, thus more Midwest than South.

Go east on I-64, though, and it does feel southern. The dividing line I would say is around US-50.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:38 AM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times
The metro east is midwestern but has the usual southern influence from the great migration but also a bit coming from the coal mining district a short distance to the south in Illinois. (Southern Illinois has more of a southern influence south of Carbondale.) There also is a German ancestry influence and a lingering hint of French settlement in place names. I always thought of it as a hard working blue collar area, but mostly midwestern. My relatives from there were German and Irish ancestry without any southern connections.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:53 PM

824 posts, read 715,369 times
Metro East is also pretty Midwestern. It’s only like the bottom 5 countries of Illinois you could call southern.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:39 AM

146 posts, read 152,857 times
Illinois doesn't start feeling southern until you get close to the Ohio River (or at least when you get to Carbondale).

Old 12-18-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The metro east is midwestern but has the usual southern influence from the great migration but also a bit coming from the coal mining district a short distance to the south in Illinois. (Southern Illinois has more of a southern influence south of Carbondale.) There also is a German ancestry influence and a lingering hint of French settlement in place names. I always thought of it as a hard working blue collar area, but mostly midwestern. My relatives from there were German and Irish ancestry without any southern connections.
I don’t think the reason why a lot of St. Louis metro suburbs have French-sounding names is because of any direct settlement from France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.