Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 07:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times

Advertisements

Start out right now, no paper maps, no on-line resources or phone, no asking directions -- just hit the road and follow posted road signage. Could you find your way to, say, Concord NH or Olympia WA, fairly directly?

By that, I mean no more than 10% over Google shortest distance. No way to prove it, but what is you self-assessment of that readiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 08:22 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
In Idaho, yes, in California, Oregon, Washington, no. Utah, probably yes.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:32 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
I live a few miles from the Colorado Capitol building so yes.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:37 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
I seem to have an extremely keen sense of direction, so I would say I probably could find any state capital just by following freeway signs. Of course, neither Honolulu nor Juneau are accessible by car so...

Old 12-25-2022, 12:15 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Yes, I know the relative geography of each state and where the capital is located in relation. Just follow road signs..

Old 12-25-2022, 01:19 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Start out right now, no paper maps, no on-line resources or phone, no asking directions -- just hit the road and follow posted road signage. Could you find your way to, say, Concord NH or Olympia WA, fairly directly?

By that, I mean no more than 10% over Google shortest distance. No way to prove it, but what is you self-assessment of that readiness.
I could do that if there was a way to store a roadmap of the United States in my brain.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:27 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I could even give someone directions right now (which interstates to take) to get from here to: Sacramento CA, Salem OR, Olympia WA, Boise ID, Helena MT, Carson City NV, Salt Lake City UT, Pierre SD, Bismarck ND, Denver CO, St. Paul MN, and Madison WI.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Any capital?

I think it depends on which one. The real question is do I know the capital of that state to begin with. Alabama is Montgomery, simple enough just take the I-85 from here. South Carolina is Columbia that’s also easy enough…

Pennsylvania state capital? Didn’t remember it until I looked it up just now - Harrisburg. Do I know where that is? No. Can I follow road signs to Harrisburg? Most likely, I know how to read, but that also depends on the road signs saying Harrisburg to begin with. Can I rely on the road signs saying Harrisburg when I’m driving up towards the north from Maryland? Maybe. I can use deduction to assume Harrisburg is probably in eastern PA somewhere given the state’s colonial history, that helps me know it’s probably easier to find from Baltimore than the weird skinny part of Maryland. But unless Harrisburg is defined by freeway signs in Baltimore we can forget it.

Would I be able to tell you how to get to Harrisburg without road signs? Absolutely not. The NE is a weird tapestry of toll roads and other shenanigans that make recommendations for travel ridiculous.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:53 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Any capital?

I think it depends on which one. The real question is do I know the capital of that state to begin with. Alabama is Montgomery, simple enough just take the I-85 from here. South Carolina is Columbia that’s also easy enough…

Pennsylvania state capital? Didn’t remember it until I looked it up just now - Harrisburg. Do I know where that is? No. Can I follow road signs to Harrisburg? Most likely, I know how to read, but that also depends on the road signs saying Harrisburg to begin with. Can I rely on the road signs saying Harrisburg when I’m driving up towards the north from Maryland? Maybe. I can use deduction to assume Harrisburg is probably in eastern PA somewhere given the state’s colonial history, that helps me know it’s probably easier to find from Baltimore than the weird skinny part of Maryland. But unless Harrisburg is defined by freeway signs in Baltimore we can forget it.

Would I be able to tell you how to get to Harrisburg without road signs? Absolutely not. The NE is a weird tapestry of toll roads and other shenanigans that make recommendations for travel ridiculous.
It is a simple drive on I-83 north of Baltimore. You would see signs saying Harrisburg in Maryland, like this one: https://maps.app.goo.gl/j9KkBM2u6dZfnWKm6?g_st=ic

Old 12-25-2022, 07:59 PM

676 posts, read 494,910 times
All except for Juneau, and perhaps Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.