Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 03:27 PM

831 posts, read 332,953 times

Advertisements

We live in North East Georgia right now and some how it's become EXTREMELY hard to find anything for rent and what is for rent is WAY overpriced. There is a new apartment complex renting apartments for 1750$ a month and 1 doublewide for 1500$. The Apartment complex claims to be basing it off market rates yet doesn't realize that mobile home for 1500$ has been sitting empty for over 6 months, because this is a fairly rural and agricultural area and people can't afford that here. Wife has degree in medical office administration, experience in customer service, medical field, factory work etc. I have a class B cdl, pretty clean driving record but am disabled and haven't worked on paper in over 10 years and will have a bachelors in political science by this summer. We prefer a red state or even a swing state like Virginia but mostly sane rent prices we could afford probably 12 to 1300$ max for a 3bedroom it doesn't have to be fancy just in a safer area and rural is fine as long as we can drive to work not far away within 30 miles. Our kids are 1 in HS, 1 in MS soon and 2 in ES. Any ideas? I am very open to NC we have lived in Western NC before and loved it, Tn if we have to really liked the Murfreesboro area and Eastern Tn a lot. Florida,Texas,Oklahoma and Virginia. Florida we would prefer something on the gulf side, Va we prefer SW Virginia and the rest I don't know. We either have family or friend ties to those. I am also open to suggestions from everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 07:58 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Northern Guilford County around Summerfield (north of Greensboro NC) fits perfectly in my opinion.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:31 PM

509 posts, read 433,618 times
I live in Lynchburg, VA and it's still quite affordable here. Like insanely affordable for what you get. My downtown condo mortgage + COA fee is $1,149 a month. Most downtown and surrounding apartments go for around $800 for one-bedroom and $1,200 for 2-bedroom. Nice homes routinely sell for $150 -200k here. Similar amount of outdoor activities as Western NC (hiking, fishing, mountain biking, boating, etc), but less amenities than Asheville. However, it's much safer. Almost boring safe, but it's great for families and we have now have breweries and wine bars downtown so it's improving. Lots of factory jobs and Centra Health is a primary employer in the area.

Old 01-08-2023, 09:49 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
I’d also take a look at Roanoke Va. about an hour down the road from Lynchburg. It’s got housing for your budget, good schools, and close to plenty of outdoors activities, beautiful scenery, and I’ve heard a few nice in-town entertainment options too. But it’s not near any big airport. Shenandoah Valley is a bit isolated.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:57 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I believe that Beckley WV is the most affordable metro area in the country based on cost of living indexes. So, that may be an area to look into.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:24 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I was thinking Southern WV (Beckley, Princeton, Bluefield) or Southwestern VA (Roanoke, Lynchburg) would be good fits. Glad to see others suggested these areas as well.

If you are open to something north of the Mason-Dixon Line you can find incredibly cheap areas in the Western 2/3 of Pennsylvania. Johnstown, PA, for example, has dirt cheap housing (some of the cheapest housing in the country). It is relatively safe and has normal amenities (Lowe's, Walmart, Home Depot, Starbucks, restaurants, a hospital, libraries, etc.)

Old 01-09-2023, 07:42 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
We live in North East Georgia right now and some how it's become EXTREMELY hard to find anything for rent and what is for rent is WAY overpriced. There is a new apartment complex renting apartments for 1750$ a month and 1 doublewide for 1500$. The Apartment complex claims to be basing it off market rates yet doesn't realize that mobile home for 1500$ has been sitting empty for over 6 months, because this is a fairly rural and agricultural area and people can't afford that here. Wife has degree in medical office administration, experience in customer service, medical field, factory work etc. I have a class B cdl, pretty clean driving record but am disabled and haven't worked on paper in over 10 years and will have a bachelors in political science by this summer. We prefer a red state or even a swing state like Virginia but mostly sane rent prices we could afford probably 12 to 1300$ max for a 3bedroom it doesn't have to be fancy just in a safer area and rural is fine as long as we can drive to work not far away within 30 miles. Our kids are 1 in HS, 1 in MS soon and 2 in ES. Any ideas? I am very open to NC we have lived in Western NC before and loved it, Tn if we have to really liked the Murfreesboro area and Eastern Tn a lot. Florida,Texas,Oklahoma and Virginia. Florida we would prefer something on the gulf side, Va we prefer SW Virginia and the rest I don't know. We either have family or friend ties to those. I am also open to suggestions from everyone.
Are in in the Clayton area? Because prices are much cheaper than that. I own some rentals in the market (short term)

Old 01-10-2023, 10:13 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,108,526 times
Oklahoma City, and its suburbs, is a good cheap city that has a lot to offer. Friendly people, quite a bit of entertainment, good airport, decent highway system with I-35 and I-40 meeting in the city, pretty good medical community so likely jobs for your wife. Not sure what a political science major does these days, but being the capital OKC would have some political support jobs. University of Oklahoma just to the south of OKC if you are looking to become a lawyer. Certainly worth a look. Here's a zillow look at rentals $800 - $1200 per month. Wouldn't let me search on 3 bedroom, but is supposed to do that... grrr

https://www.zillow.com/oklahoma-city...oom%22%3A11%7D

Old 01-10-2023, 01:35 PM

817 posts, read 628,146 times
Everywhere is expensive, there's no secret cheap places left anymore unless you want to live in one of the US island territories. Rent in the CNMI (Saipan) is like $700-$900 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with yard and garage. A 1-2 bedroom apartment is in the $500-$600 range

Old 01-10-2023, 05:21 PM

172 posts, read 119,785 times
The counties surrounding Lynchburg would be a solid fit for you -- Bedford, Campbell, Amherst and Appomattox. Very socially conservative with a decent economy and relatively low cost of living. Lynchburg City is more mixed politically and diverse, however it remains a good option as well. Nuclear energy is big in Lynchburg; multiple companies on the cutting-edge of nuclear technologies (engineering side only).

I would skip the other states, with the exception of Oklahoma, as they are fast-growing and attracting a lot of transplants -- hence their COL will be much higher. Virginia is showing more out-migration than in, however births still outnumber deaths so it can look like the state is growing when it's not by migration stats alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.